Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

11 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does every fan base expect 7 WR's to make the roster every year, or is that just a GB thing?   Seems like 6 is more than enough after Davis is cut loose.

We all know GB keeps what they consider to be talent regardless of the position. One year we kept like 5 TEs. 7 WRs isnt insane when you realize Davis is basically just a return man who will be lucky to catch 5 passes as a WR. 

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does every fan base expect 7 WR's to make the roster every year, or is that just a GB thing?   Seems like 6 is more than enough after Davis is cut loose.

Good question, I don't have a clue, but I'd guess most passing team fans want to keep one more WR than they can.

But for YEARS, I have heard about all these worries about the best WR that the Packers don't keep will be claimed... but I find it interesting, I can't remember a WR ever being claimed from the Packers... I think there might of been two OGs and other positions, but never WR and I've said the worrying has been for nothing. And to my knowledge, only one of them has been signed off the Packers PS. (Charles Johnson)

But again... FOR YEARS... I've been saying there is no way 7 WRs is going to happen. This is the first year, I'm saying there is a honest chance that it MIGHT happen. My thought is that Packers never keep 10 OL unless they draft two rookies that show potential and then they keep 10 OL... just like that, the Packers never keep 7 WRs... BUT THEY MIGHT NOW... since they drafted three rookies and they all show potential. Plus there is Kum, who by all accounts seems to be stepping up.

5 hours ago, Beast said:

Then make up some nicknames which might catch on. Here are some I've seen

MVS = Marquez Valdes-Scantling = Most Valuable Spelling!

Eq = Equanimeous St. Brown

G-Mo = Geronimo Allison

Kum = Jake Kumerow

Kum. Really? 

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We all know GB keeps what they consider to be talent regardless of the position. One year we kept like 5 TEs. 7 WRs isnt insane when you realize Davis is basically just a return man who will be lucky to catch 5 passes as a WR. 

How about 7 WRs without Davis making it?

Adams, Cobb, Allison, Kum, Moore, MVS, Eq

Kum might be the outside, but he's fighting hard for the chance... I don't think they'll cut the rookies if they're showing potential (and hold onto a few more of the balls).

1 minute ago, tredpack said:

Kum. Really? 

I didn't make it up... though I have repeated it... over and over again ;):P

But you make a good point... but I'm not sure Kumer is any better, and Kumerow is his name, therefore not a nickname.

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

Kum might be the outside, but he's fighting hard for the chance... I don't think they'll cut the rookies if they're showing potential (and hold onto a few more of the balls).

“Allison, Kum, Moore,” are you trying to be hilarious? It’s working. 

Not with standing, 12 year old me is giggling at the entire last paragraph. I like you. 

1 minute ago, tredpack said:

LMAO ... I honestly didn't notice that one. Though I did attempt with the "over and over again" line above in a different message.

I was just trying to put them in order of what I've been hearing... some of the beat writers have suggested Kumerow looks like he might be able to open the season as the 4th WR with the rookies behind him.

Also now that you pointed it out, I realized it could of been worse than what you put in quotes.

Adam's Cobb, Allison Kum Moore.... or at least I think that's worse, hope you're enjoying it.

6 minutes ago, tredpack said:

Not with standing, 12 year old me is giggling at the entire last paragraph. I like you. 

WOW :D ... I did not see that in the entire last paragraph, until you pointed it out, now I'm giggling :D

16 minutes ago, Beast said:

No argument here but I just dont picture GB cutting Davis and leaving no other viable PR.

Davis is fighting the same hammy issue today he was fighting in OTA's.  The same issue kept him our vs TEN. I don't see him on the roster if he can't get over the issue within the next week or so.  Personally, I don't want him on the roster under any circumstances, but I think his sore hammy's will make it an easy decision to cut him.

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

7 is too many especially with Monty in the roster. 

Normally I'd say 7 is too many period... and making it worse is WR-like Monty and Graham.

BUT - What if all 7 are among the best 25 offensive players?

Usually for the 53 man roster, it's 25 offensive players, 25 defensive players and 3 ST kickers/long snapper. 

So far, depth at other offensive positions, haven't shown they've worth keeping that much depth at.

If they go with 2 QBs or 2 RBs (Jones is suspended the first two weeks), then I CURRENTLY have 7 WRs clearly in top 25 offensive players.

I think there is more talent with Kumero, MVS, EQ and Moore than there was with Janis, Davis, Monty and Abby in 2015.

There really aren't any super hard cuts to make this year even if 7 wide receivers are kept.  

No 4th TE.

No 4th RB

No 10th OL

It isn't all that hard to carry 7 receivers.  The biggest headache will be deciding who is activated on game day.

Kevin Dorsey.  Another guy that flashed in the PS and a lot of people liked.  I still think this group is just different.

Archived