Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

3 minutes ago, Cheech said:

There really aren't any super hard cuts to make this year even if 7 wide receivers are kept.  

Yeah, so far... it's been harder to find ways that 7 WRs DON'T make the top 25 offensive players, then finding ways to fit 7 WRs in.

I mean when you're looking at the 53 man roster, I guess you could always keep some extra DBs for ST coverage line Goodson and Evans... but they're not exactly exciting or have a ton of potential on the defensive side of the ball. Heck while WR Davis isn't in my top 7 WR, I could argue keep him for returner duties just to keep Cobb, Alexander, Williams, etc off punt return duty. Right now it's easier to find ways to put 7 WRs on than keep 7 off.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Jordy caught a 4-yard pass. Fire Gute.

Jordy could have a huge year in Oakland.  I hope he does. He's nothing but true class.

Gute still could have made the right call if Graham gives us a presence up the seam, Adams elevates his game, and one of the rookies becomes the next really good packers WR.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Time for a bit of an unpopular opinion.  done with Davis. His punt return abilities don’t overshadow the WR upside of the three rookies.  

Keep Adams, Cobb, Allison, MVS, EQ, Moore and cut Davis. Let Jiare, Cobb, Monty and MVS handle the punts and kickoffs . 

Profit

I believe I said this last week...

2 hours ago, Cheech said:

One of the plays last night at WR that I'm most excited about was the catch and run by EQ in the 4th quarter.  He had the awareness to stop once he caught the ball and the fluidity to spin and run the other way.  That wiggle and fluidity after the catch was something that made guys like Jordy and Greg Jennings great receivers.  

On the other hand, there were a handful of plays where EQ seems to just go through the motions.  MVS seems to have way more drive than EQ.  

Also, twice I've heard MM say how pleased he is with the rookie receiver's ability to get off of the ball.  This is something that Davis really struggles with and one of the main reasons he doesn't see the field more.  

8 minutes ago, Cheech said:

There really aren't any super hard cuts to make this year even if 7 wide receivers are kept; No 4th TE; No 4th RB; No 10th OL

I still think this group is just different.

I extremely agree!

And this group is different for a couple of different reasons

1. I think it's the deepest group of WRs they've had
  2. The top guys aren't showing a high ceiling of talent
  3. Three of them are rookie draft picks that aren't currently ready but are flashing potential
  4. Two of the top three players are going into contract years; Cobb as an UFA and Allison as an RFA... so we might need that depth in just 16 games (plus playoffs) to fill losing two of the top three guys.

This is a position I don't remember ever seeing the Packers in before, at least not at the WR position.

37 minutes ago, Beast said:

This is a position I don't remember ever seeing the Packers in before, at least not at the WR position.

Diondre Borel and Tori Gurley in 2011/2012 were generating a lot of TC buzz with a WR group of Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Jones, Cobb

7 hours ago, packfanfb said:

We all know GB keeps what they consider to be talent regardless of the position. One year we kept like 5 TEs. 7 WRs isnt insane when you realize Davis is basically just a return man who will be lucky to catch 5 passes as a WR. 

Except TEs offer value on ST that most of those WRs aren't going to.  That's the difference.

7 hours ago, Beast said:

I was just trying to put them in order of what I've been hearing... some of the beat writers have suggested Kumerow looks like he might be able to open the season as the 4th WR with the rookies behind him.

The whole Kumero hype is getting out of hand.  He's competing with Geronimo Allison for that same roster spot, so it's either him or Allison.  Take your pick.

8 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Time for a bit of an unpopular opinion.  done with Davis. 

Unpopular- ?... That's the group think agenda here (very popular).

If the three rookies keep popping their skill set and Kumerow keeps doing his thing, there's no room for Davis.

53 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Unpopular- ?... That's the group think agenda here (very popular).

If the three rookies keep popping their skill set and Kumerow keeps doing his thing, there's no room for Davis.

Group think agenda?  Any agenda that involves Davis is a bad agenda.

Archived