Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

13 minutes ago, craig said:

there will be several discretionary "extra" spots.  So use them on your best prospects

I guess for some reason, this just feels backwards to me... because your best prospects should be getting their butts on the 46 man roster and not clogging up the "extra" spots, unless they're EXTREMELY raw like WR Clark was coming from playing basketball basically.

13 minutes ago, craig said:

• 2 QBs
  • 2 RBs
  • 1 FB
  • 3 TEs
  • 5 WRs
  • 8 OL
  • 5  DL
  • 5 OLB
  • 2 ILB (used to be 4 ILB)
  • 4 S 
  • 6 CB
  • 3 ST (K, P, LS)
  • 21 offense, 22 defense, 3 ST = 46.  7 spots to play with.  

Okay, that way looks great to me = :D ... maybe it's just that I'm a numbers guy, and I want numbers not words? I don't know.

Though I demand 3 RBs :P... I'll trade the 1st FB for a 3rd RB on the 46 roster method... yes MM will keep a FB but other coaches are more likely to keep 3rd RB and I always want 3 RBs... because you need two for a game, and 3rd because one of the first two are going to be injured at some point of the season.

Edit: But now that you have broke it down that way, I'm much happier with this method :D thanks!

There are so many unanswered questions with this position group at this point. 

Do we stay healthy through the preseason?

Does Allison make it even though he's as slow as molassas in January?

Does Moore rebound from a rough outing and make his case?

What about Kumerow? All he does is make plays. 

Yancey? St. Brown? MVS? 

If I had to guess today I'd say we keep at least 6 guys, maybe 7 depending on a few other positions. If I was handicapping it right now I'd go.

Adams and Cobb are locks

Allison, St. Brown and MVS are close to locking down a spot.

Moore, Kumerow, Yancey and Davis are fighting for the other one or two spots. I'd give the first two guys the inside track at this point. Moore only because of his draft status. 

I'm not as worried about Moore as most people seem to be. If he catches that bomb from Boyle, we have a whole different narrative about him. The fact that he got open deep in the first place is a big positive. He should've caught that ball, but every receiver drops some of those. I was really pleased with all of the three draft picks as well as Kumerow, and Yancey made some catches too. I think they need to improve in the red zone, though, as the stalled drives with Kizer were partly their fault. 

On 8/11/2018 at 5:30 AM, CWood21 said:

The whole Kumero hype is getting out of hand.  He's competing with Geronimo Allison for that same roster spot, so it's either him or Allison.  Take your pick.

I'd probably put Yancey in that same conversation at this point. Maybe even Davis. I don't keep any of those four at the cost of losing one of these talented rookies. All four of those guys are able NFL talents though. Very different players that all bring something different to the table with their skillsets too. It's more about what you want than a talent gap between Allison, Kum, Davis, and Yancey. 

17 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

I'd probably put Yancey in that same conversation at this point. Maybe even Davis. I don't keep any of those four at the cost of losing one of these talented rookies. All four of those guys are able NFL talents though. Very different players that all bring something different to the table with their skillsets too. It's more about what you want than a talent gap between Allison, Kum, Davis, and Yancey. 

I still think they are all in the same boat, except for Davis. It's essentially nine guys competing for six or seven roster spots. Adams and Cobb are locks, and Allison is well ahead of the others because of his experience, so it's really six guys competing for three or four roster spots. Davis is the wild card because he doesn't offer much on offense but has skills as a returner. If they keep him, it's down to five guys competing for two or three spots. Yancey may have less raw talent than the others, but Kumerow is right in there with the three drafted rookies. If I had to guess about the outcome, I would say Yancey and St. Brown get cut, and if they go with six and Davis is one of them, Kumerow gets cut, but it's a razor thin margin. 

2 hours ago, Greg C. said:

I still think they are all in the same boat, except for Davis. It's essentially nine guys competing for six or seven roster spots. Adams and Cobb are locks, and Allison is well ahead of the others because of his experience, so it's really six guys competing for three or four roster spots. Davis is the wild card because he doesn't offer much on offense but has skills as a returner. If they keep him, it's down to five guys competing for two or three spots. Yancey may have less raw talent than the others, but Kumerow is right in there with the three drafted rookies. If I had to guess about the outcome, I would say Yancey and St. Brown get cut, and if they go with six and Davis is one of them, Kumerow gets cut, but it's a razor thin margin. 

What has ESB done so far to get cut? Be 6'5, fast, and catch everything thrown his way in the preseason games/practices?

42 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

What has ESB done so far to get cut? Be 6'5, fast, and catch everything thrown his way in the preseason games/practices?

Agree entirely. Ask me - we make a 6'5 guy that timed 4.48 in the 40 available for somebody else to pickup easier than snagging loose change off the sidewalk......

A primer of sorts on the GBP WR's and aspiring WR's:

EQ                  -          6’5” (4.48)
MVS               -          6’4” (4.37)

KUMERO        -          6’4”
GMO               -          6’3
JMO                -          6’3” (4.48)
JENNINGS      -          6’2”
TAE                 -          6’1”
DAVIS             -          6’1”
YANCEY          -          6’1”
LEWIS             -          5’11”
COBB              -          5’10"

We'll see what the rest of the PS holds in store for these guys.......

3 hours ago, palmy50 said:

Agree - but I'd find a way to hang on to Allison. He's got actual NFL *receiving* experience and success whereas these rookies show alot of promise,  but they're raw.
Going into the games that count - we want to insure we've got a starting lineup thats actually made some receptions at the next level - and of the four cited (Allison, Kumerow, Yancey & Davis) - that puts the focus on Allison. He certainly isnt the fastest of the lot - but he's far from a chump and catches whats thrown his way. 

I said it at draft time....that Davis was going to have to step up his receiving contribution. I like the guy. Like his speed. But the lights gotta go on now cause if receiving skills alone becomes his only ticket - I fear he's gonna wind up on somebody elses roster returning punts / kickoffs.

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree - but I'd find a way to hang on to Allison. He's got actual NFL *receiving* experience and success whereas these rookies show alot of promise,  but they're raw.
Going into the games that count - we want to insure we've got a starting lineup thats actually made some receptions at the next level - and of the four cited (Allison, Kumerow, Yancey & Davis) - that puts the focus on Allison. He certainly isnt the fastest of the lot - but he's far from a chump and catches whats thrown his way. 

I said it at draft time....that Davis was going to have to step up his receiving contribution. I like the guy. Like his speed. But the lights gotta go on now cause if receiving skills alone becomes his only ticket - I fear he's gonna wind up on somebody elses roster returning punts / kickoffs.

LIS, you just don't cut the talents. That will get you unemployed in this league.

That said, Adams, Cobb, and the rookies are all but locks in my eyes. 

I'd be willing to listen to any debate after that and you could make a strong case for a few of them.

Allison is next in line in my eyes. He's a average NFL talent at large but he has some very high end parts. Sadly, Allison has some below league average parts as well. It's a game of matchups though. Mac is more than able to put Allison in spots to excel. 

Kum is a jack of all trades master of none type. His overall talent level is right there with Allison but there are no top shelf parts. Nice guy to have around if possible though. 

Yancey is pretty intriguing. He was a slice of pizza away from being a TE last year. He came to camp down 19lbs though. Pending what they think of Cobb long term Yancey might be worth keeping around. 

Davis might be the best WR on this Packers roster....if they were playing flag football. Everything plays/grades down because of his lack of physicality though. 

Tough call. Glad it's not mine!

palmy, do you think Yancey's qualities are appealing enough that anybody else would snag him if exposed to practice squad?  

Same for Kumerow?  

Heh heh, realize we can't store 20 guys on the PS.  But to me Yancey seems like the guy who you consider for 63-man roster, but not the 53.  

1 hour ago, palmy50 said:

LIS, you just don't cut the talents. That will get you unemployed in this league. That said, Adams, Cobb, and the rookies are all but locks in my eyes. I'd be willing to listen to any debate after that and you could make a strong case for a few of them. Allison is next in line in my eyes. He's a average NFL talent at large but he has some very high end parts. Sadly, Allison has some below league average parts as well. It's a game of matchups though. Mac is more than able to put Allison in spots to excel. Kum is a jack of all trades master of none type. His overall talent level is right there with Allison but there are no top shelf parts. Nice guy to have around if possible though. Yancey is pretty intriguing. He was a slice of pizza away from being a TE last year. He came to camp down 19lbs though. Pending what they think of Cobb long term Yancey might be worth keeping around. Davis might be the best WR on this Packers roster....if they were playing flag football. Everything plays/grades down because of his lack of physicality though. Tough call. Glad it's not mine!

Good post.

In reply - copying/pasting portions of it that I agree with entirely:

LIS, you just don't cut the talents. That said, Adams, Cobb, and the rookies are all but locks in my eyes.....
Allison is next in line in my eyes....
Kum is a jack of all trades master of none type......Nice guy to have around if possible though.
Yancey is pretty intriguing. Pending what they think of Cobb long term Yancey might be worth keeping around.

None of the rookies are finished products but I really like the height/speed ratios and just dont want to lose that potential to somebody else's practice squad. Thats a good fill for our future foundation.

My "thing" with Kumerow (or a the mental drawback to accepting all the production he's putting out now at face value.......) is that he's been on multiple PS/teams - each of which has taken a pass. Now - that could just be hard luck for a guy at the tail end of things when a positional slot is required - but still - he was deemed expendable. So thats multiple talent evaluators that deemed his skill set replaceable. So - outside of being 3" taller than Yancey - how do their skill sets match up directly? Who's the better of these two specifically. Push comes to shove - flip a coin and take the most talented of these two - who's got the upside. I honestly havent seen enough of the two to make that call. Certainly not enough of Yancey - which is mostly my fault. Last year I was "hit and miss" regards paying attention to things and would tune in when games were going on and somehow I got Yancey's number wrong in my head - so all thru PS I was tracking the wrong guy - who got cut! LOL So - I'm the very last guy to be passing judgement on Yancey! (Some self effacing humor there......) :)

I fear Davis is in a tough spot. If PR/KR isnt a safe niche for him - he'd better light it up big time - change the arc of production - cause he's up against some tall and speedy talent - that I value more than what he's shown too date.

25 minutes ago, craig said:

palmy, do you think Yancey's qualities are appealing enough that anybody else would snag him if exposed to practice squad?  

Same for Kumerow?  

Heh heh, realize we can't store 20 guys on the PS.  But to me Yancey seems like the guy who you consider for 63-man roster, but not the 53.  

Yancey isn't for everyone. Bunch of teams pulled him down last year for a few different reasons. I'd like the odds of stashing him a bit more than the odds of stashing Kumerow even though Yancey is a little more talented IMO. 

4 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

Yancey isn't for everyone. Bunch of teams pulled him down last year for a few different reasons. I'd like the odds of stashing him a bit more than the odds of stashing Kumerow even though Yancey is a little more talented IMO. 

Hearing you say that Yancey is more talented than anyone was like a kick in the nuts. I don't see anything with that guy

Archived