Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

The good news is if Mr anonymous is ever maybe right about something at least we won't have to wait more than 5 minutes to be made aware of it by Mr anonymous

Hmmm, thought you had me on ignore, guess you can't help yourself?

The good news is I guess I'll always know you're still reading my posts since you're always in here within 5 minutes replying to them.

5 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Hmmm, thought you had me on ignore, guess you can't help yourself?

The good news is I guess I'll always know you're still reading my posts since you're always in here within 5 minutes replying to them.

I couldn't figure out how to do it on mobile then I forgot.

Thanks for the reminder!

10 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Ahem, so yeah about that flawed notion that teams make PS swaps right after week 1 and guys who barely made the 53 man cut are often around for just one week. What took place today at the bottom of the Packers roster and on their PS is actually what I said would happen after week 1. New England did the same juggling today. It's no accident or coincidence.

This isn't what you were suggesting, not even close.

You were talking about  "swapping" a ps squad guy for a 53 in order to protect them at initial cutdowns.  You were saying that after the cutdowns and the 53 is set, teams are hesitant to add your player by picking them up at waiver time.

We put Davis on IR due to re-injuing the hamstring, and added another team's player- according to you a guy protected by being held onto until week 1- and made other cuts and additions.

No one was swapped. No one was "protected" by hanging on to them with the intention of getting them to the practice squad.  Heck, the only player waived was Evans and he was on the practice squad.  

In fact, this shows how wrong you were, as the Packers added a guy to the 53 who is clearly NOT an upgrade, simply to replace a guy that went to IR.  The dude was not protected when Atlanta waived him 1 week after the initial cutdowns.

These are just usual changes to the bottom of the roster, and had nothing to do with your premise.  

Don't bother thanking me for re-educating you.  Soon I will have to start charging you tuition.

3 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Don't bother thanking me for re-educating you.  Soon I will have to start charging you tuition.

You can teach until you're blue in the face, but I seriously doubt it will ever penetrate that military-grade skull armor.

Moving right along, here's Tom Silverstein at JSO talking YAC for the Pack

"With the ball at his own 25 with 11 minutes, 52 seconds to go, Rodgers allowed his teammates to go to work. Of the 80 passing yards that were to come, 54 were after the catch, including 42 on two plays that may foreshadow what kind of season Adams is going to have.

On a 51-yard completion, Adams produced 33 yards after the catch. It would not have been possible if Williams hadn’t stoned blitzing linebacker Danny Trevathan with a courageous launch into his chest right in front of Rodgers. On the 12-yard touchdown that completed the drive, Adams made one of his patented shake-and-bake moves after a 3-yard catch and ran past cornerback Prince Amukamara on his way to the end zone.

“You can’t put everything on the quarterback, who is pretty good,” Adams said. “But if he throws me a hitch or whatever it is, I have to make sure I make the first guy miss and I get upfield.”

5 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

This isn't what you were suggesting, not even close.

You were talking about  "swapping" a ps squad guy for a 53 in order to protect them at initial cutdowns.  You were saying that after the cutdowns and the 53 is set, teams are hesitant to add your player by picking them up at waiver time.

We put Davis on IR due to re-injuing the hamstring, and added another team's player- according to you a guy protected by being held onto until week 1- and made other cuts and additions.

No one was swapped. No one was "protected" by hanging on to them with the intention of getting them to the practice squad.  Heck, the only player waived was Evans and he was on the practice squad.  

In fact, this shows how wrong you were, as the Packers added a guy to the 53 who is clearly NOT an upgrade, simply to replace a guy that went to IR.  The dude was not protected when Atlanta waived him 1 week after the initial cutdowns.

These are just usual changes to the bottom of the roster, and had nothing to do with your premise.  

You completely missed the other transaction then. Not to mention all of the other ones throughout the league right after week 1. I don't want your kind of education.

From PackersNews:

"Rodgers finally found one in No. 3 receiver Allison. He went to Allison three straight times late in the third quarter, producing two first downs. Then, in the fourth quarter, he beat Kyle Fuller deep to Allison. Davante Adams had five catches for 88 yards and a touchdown, and Randall Cobb was a security blanket with eight catches for 67 yards until his 75-yard game-winning reception, but Allison’s five catches for 69 yards and a touchdown are important. If the Packers truly get production from three receivers, it would give Rodgers an ability to pick his matchup" 

What's most impressive is that he is 6'-3". The downside is most receivers that big struggle with route running. Always impressed me with his catch radius and his Mickey Mouse hands (they look huge). I don't think he has ever dropped a ball. Thought he maybe could have been called for OPI on the TD catch, but it shows his physicality. I've always said I like him, but as a #3. Will be interesting to see how much more he progresses

7 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

This got posted the other day... realistically, which WR out there would you expect to run faster than Allison?

Well for reference, I saw a highlight where Tyreke Hill was clocked at 23 mph IIRC, but he is 5'-10" and a different type of receiver IMO. Gotta take these things with a grain of salt because it's just a small part of the equation, but still found it interesting

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Well for reference, I saw a highlight where Tyreke Hill was clocked at 23 mph IIRC, but he is 5'-10" and a different type of receiver IMO. Gotta take these things with a grain of salt because it's just a small part of the equation, but still found it interesting

I would think longer guys generally hit higher top speeds, making Hill's breakaway speed all the more impressive. That said, I agree completely with your last post—it's fun watching Allison work as a receiver at that size. Easy to see why Aaron likes him so much (Davante is always shouting him out, too).

I do remember him dropping one really bad one last year. Can't remember which game... maybe the Cincy game. Otherwise I love those big mitts.

Archived