Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

A more interesting question to me is whether Cobb comes back.  All of the rookies seem to be equipped to play on the outside, and could be viewed as potential replacements for a departed Allison.  None of them seem especially well equipped to replace Cobb as the primary guy in the slot.

I'd love to have Cobb back at the right price. Is that possible? Only the market can say - but I'm not as down on Cobb as some others.

I wouldnt mind seeing MVS taking off from the slot. The guy I really want to see though is EQ. I'm really hopeful his combo of length and speed can be put to good use by the GBPs. He's not a speed demon - more a long strider IMO - but I think he could present serious challenges to a defense that would blend in well with our other talents.

Allison may not be a burner or always be able to get separation, but he’s got great hands and wherewithal.  He’s a better third option than most teams have right now - especially Minny.  Would you rather have Treadwell?  That being said, football is a business, and if one or more of the rooks steps up this season, and depending upon Cobb’s situation, he could be replaced after the season.  Who knows.

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I was down on Allison heading into camp, but he has put it together.  Nothing wrong with having him at WR3.  The depth after Allison is the problem right now.  The group should be fine a year from now, but today I'm not sure anyone is ready to step into the WR3 role if/when one of the top 3 go down.  Hopefully one of the young guys (likely MVS) will see a handful of snaps each week to help build some chemistry with Rodgers.

I think you can say that about most teams WR4+ though right? 

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

A more interesting question to me is whether Cobb comes back.  All of the rookies seem to be equipped to play on the outside, and could be viewed as potential replacements for a departed Allison.  None of them seem especially well equipped to replace Cobb as the primary guy in the slot.

IIRC, EQ worked primarily out of the slot this preseason. Dunno what that says about his future but I found it interesting.

@Mazrimiv   He is still young enough (currently 28) to get another deal. He is also talented enough to stay, but as always it's about the price. I'm guessing he is unlikely to get $10m pa again, as he is older now, but a three year deal at a bit less than that is possible, especially if it comes with achievable incentives as part of the deal. If Cobb goes after 2018 the question of who replaces him is (as you say) an interesting one.

Maybe they go with a bigger guy this time, one of MVS,  Moore, or ESB (who, as @Lodestar pointed out, worked from the slot this preseason). Maybe they prefer to draft Cobb's replacement, (since they have the extra high pick next year), they might be willing to spend a second or third rounder on a slot WR. That would still leave a gap for a year or so,  as a new guy gets up to speed. Smarter to use one of the three rooks from 2018, or acquire a veteran slot guy (assuming one is available).

2 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

i have a feeling we’ll get the annual Cobb injury sometime in the next 3 weeks and we’ll go back to thinking he’s a good player with health issues. He was on the trade block and nobody but ya would pay him 10m. He’s like a 5m dollar player

I see us moving on from him, CMIII and Wilkerson. I think we'll keep Dix, even though he only slightly above average. We are in good shape without Cobb, IMO. I expect the rookies to get more and more reps and Allison looks really good so far this year. Cobb has clearly lost his speed over the past few years. It was Jordy's downfall and we already have enough slow receivers.

Time to get the kids some catches. This week would be a good time to start. 

11 hours ago, Golfman said:

I see us moving on from him, CMIII and Wilkerson. I think we'll keep Dix, even though he only slightly above average. We are in good shape without Cobb, IMO. I expect the rookies to get more and more reps and Allison looks really good so far this year. Cobb has clearly lost his speed over the past few years. It was Jordy's downfall and we already have enough slow receivers.

I wouldn’t necessarily say Cobb has lost a lot. If you look at the games Cobb was healthy and AR was playing the last two years (week 1-7 2016, weeks 1-5/Carolina game last year, so far this year) he’s produced really well. PFF graded him as one of the most open wrs per route last year. His issue is with his size any tweek is a killer and bad qb play hurts.

I’d move on due to health reliability and us having young guys with some talent 

49 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say Cobb has lost a lot. If you look at the games Cobb was healthy and AR was playing the last two years (week 1-7 2016, weeks 1-5/Carolina game last year, so far this year) he’s produced really well. PFF graded him as one of the most open wrs per route last year. His issue is with his size any tweek is a killer and bad qb play hurts.

I’d move on due to health reliability and us having young guys with some talent 

Did you see him on the long TD run against Chicago? Both the Bears OLB were gaining on him, by a lot. He looked like he had a piano on his back. He may still have some quickness, but he's definitely lost some of his speed. You make a great point regarding 'when he's healthy'. He's not available enough to be paid top dollar. 

I think we have to see how the rookies progress but I'm betting on us moving on from Cobb next year. 

58 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Did you see him on the long TD run against Chicago? Both the Bears OLB were gaining on him, by a lot. He looked like he had a piano on his back. He may still have some quickness, but he's definitely lost some of his speed. You make a great point regarding 'when he's healthy'. He's not available enough to be paid top dollar. 

I think we have to see how the rookies progress but I'm betting on us moving on from Cobb next year. 

His ankle is still in flux, so he lost some of his long speed. But he can still pop in and out of spots.

13 hours ago, Golfman said:

Although I'm eager for the young guns to get some action - I'm not sure today is the day to start.

There's 100% chance of rain. Its gonna be a bad field (to some degree).
Might not be a bad game to crank up the running game and/or rely on quick passes to the Vets.
We've a QB with a semi-faulty bad knee. RGIII's career ended on this field cause he played with a bum knee.

That just said - there's this tweet.....

Then there's this........

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

I just watched the replay, Mack caught up because Cobb had to set up blocks and wasn’t straight lining to the end zone.

I agree he’s not available enough to pay top dollar, but the guy when healthy has produced. Some team will outbid us and give him like 3 years 20m so it doesn’t matter 

Just now, pacman5252 said:

I just watched the replay, Mack caught up because Cobb had to set up blocks and wasn’t straight lining to the end zone.

Get out of here with simple, rational explanations.  Randall Cobb almost got caught by linebackers.  Fact. 

Archived