Week 2 Thread: Washington Commanders (1-0) at Detroit Lions (0-1) - 1 PM on FOX

MikeT14

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I mean true… even in this forum.

I don’t care about politics so I don’t let that influence how I feel about what JDR said. Jamin Davis has been a bust for the most part and JDR has had far too much talent to have the defense struggle this much. Maybe they both just suck. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I’ve said this for years!!! The way teams work the cap you don’t let your best players walk. Payne has always flashed. As he ages you’d always expect him to gain consistency and become a leader and pro. He’s a better player individually I feel the Vea. As the game slows down I always felt Payne would have more then just the flashes and it become constant. I believe this year he shows he can be a different level

I'm not really focus on Vea numbers, it's more about Payne impact for Us. Possiblely if you still had Settle and Matt you don't resign Payne even though he's Earned a new extension with Washington. A 1st round round pick that has consistently made a difference on OUR Defense. Now that you don't have those guys you have no choice or once again your stuck losing Talent while making wholes on the team. That's not how you build a Super Bowl Contending Team. 

On 9/14/2022 at 8:03 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

That stadium was 2/3 full at best, not sure what he’s getting on about. Comparatively speaking…..maybe. But that’s nothing compared to the mid 2000s or even 2016 which was my first year with season tickets.

@Thaiphoonwhat did the crowd look like from your seats?

The same. I mean, with my seats close to the field, it's a bit more packed. To the right of us you could see more of the Jaguars jerseys in the stands. 

Fun fact, I deleted the recording of the game and my friend said he thought he saw me and one of the guys I was with. It was the out route for the Jags in the end zone (right EZ as you look at the field from home benches) and they were throwing it into the EZ and it went off the tips of the Jaguars receiver. Apparently the TV panned into the stands behind the endzone and you can catch a guy who looks like Santa Claus. He was one of the guys at our tailgate (just met him that day). The row behind him was the 4 of us (2 weren't in their seats) but my friend watching thought he saw me and my inebriated friend sitting behind Santa. Wish I hadn't deleted it so soon.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I honestly don’t know if that’s it - it may be - but to me he’s just not seeing things the way he should. Like he’s a step slow, so it’s more recognition & instincts rather than knowledge, like he’s overthinking. 

This points to the need for him to play more& why they wasted his rookie year by not just playing him. Last year they needed to have him make mistakes & improving through playing on the job while getting more and more used to the speed of the NFL & more comfortable with his responsibilities & while allowing his instincts to develop and he can just go and go instead of overthinking. Now were still doing that this year & it’s squarely Rivera & JDR’s fault bc they played Bostic over him last September & Mayo over him a lot the second half of last year.

They shouldn't have drafted him. That's the mistake! Him playing last year or not has nothing to do with his inability to play at the pro or college level. One break out year shouldn't have put him above a lot of the guys that it did. If he doesn't improve isn't living up to where he was drafted by the end of the year, I'm putting him 1st on the trade block the beginning of the 2023 season. Cut ties immediately and collect what you can while accepting Accountability for these decisions. 

15 hours ago, rizzy said:

I am in agreement with the sentiment that you don't pay all the D lineman because it isn't "the optimal strategy" for cap allocation but if we aren't going to spend the money in Free Agency and we aren't a team that is going to get coveted players to sign here for market price I say we pay the talented players and adjust. Optimal strategies work if you are the one setting the standard if you are copying other people with lesser players you aren't really helping yourself.

Very true, but people act like we have a lot of cap space. Go to overthecap.com we don’t have a lot of cap space right now. We have $3.9 million in cap space right now. Next year we have $9.15 mil in cap space for the cap increases & if we cut some people (here’s looking at you WJ3 if you don’t improve) and before/if we restructure/extend people like perhaps Carson Wentz if he continues to play how he did last Sunday or better.

9 hours ago, DCNative said:

They shouldn't have drafted him. That's the mistake! Him playing last year or not has nothing to do with his inability to play at the pro or college level. One break out year shouldn't have put him above a lot of the guys that it did. If he doesn't improve isn't living up to where he was drafted by the end of the year, I'm putting him 1st on the trade block the beginning of the 2023 season. Cut ties immediately and collect what you can while accepting Accountability for these decisions. 

I agree, I wanted other players as well but they did draft Jamin, so he’s here and he should get to play, learn & develop this year & then next off-season they need to determine how well he played and if they need to upgrade Jamin and Cole as well. Cole is a good player, but he shouldn’t be our #1 LB. He should be our 2nd or 3rd best.

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t care about politics so I don’t let that influence how I feel about what JDR said. Jamin Davis has been a bust for the most part and JDR has had far too much talent to have the defense struggle this much. Maybe they both just suck. 

Key words, “Has Been,” let’s see what he does the rest of the year & if develops well enough to where they want to start him next year or if they want to sign or draft another Lb high to start over Jamin or at least push him for that starting WLB job.

47 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Key words, “Has Been,” let’s see what he does the rest of the year & if develops well enough to where they want to start him next year or if they want to sign or draft another Lb high to start over Jamin or at least push him for that starting WLB job.

I mean, they did nothing to stabilize the position so we have no choice but to see what happens. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, they did nothing to stabilize the position so we have no choice but to see what happens. 

That wasn't the case for Haskins or Griffin but we Have to give Jamin Davis every opportunity in the world. Get outta here with that. Same can be said for other guys like the WR's they drafted years ago with Fred Davis. Those guys showed they weren't living up to the potential and where gone by year 3. If Davis continues to struggle Rivera is only keeping him to save face.