**2023 NFL Draft Prospects**

Texas_OutLaw7

11 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Confession that I’ve been putting off watching Cancey for a long time, because I expected this would be a case of the Jaylen Twymans.

Well, I was definitely wrong about that.

I don’t know if he’s going to be Aaron Donald, but just about everything I have to say about him, I would say about Aaron Donald if Donald had been born a decade later and were part of this class.

His explosiveness off the ball is unreal, he’s constantly in the backfield, and the way he closes is like if Micah put on a few pounds—you think the quarterback has a couple of seconds, and boom, Cancey has him on the ground.

Donald is such an edge case, so it’s probably not fair to expect Cancey to beat double teams at such a prodigious rate or hold up as well in the run game. But this has to be the closest we’ve seen to Donald as a prospect. I do worry a little that some teams (namely, SF and Philly) might identify him him in the run game and try to run it right at him with a double team. But you might be able to negate that with some creativity and placing him on the edge for likely running downs.

Even if you end up with the worst-case scenario on this guy, you have a player that can destroy NFL guards in passing situations and will create a lot of splash plays for you. Big fan, would endorse at #26.

• Like 1

I’m kind of settling in on 2 buckets of players that could be realistic options for our first pick (players not in a particular order within bucket).

Where am I wrong? Who am I missing?

Would be happy at #26

-Calijah Cancey   
-Darnell Washington   
-Michael Mayer   
-Steve Avila   
-O’Cyrus Torrence
-Bijan Robinson   
-Quentin Johnston

Ok at #26, prefer a trade down  

-John Michael Schmitz   
-Cody Mauch 
-Dalton Kincaid   
-Luke Musgrave   
-Zay Flowers
-Jordan Addison   
-Deonte Banks   
-Cam Smith   
-Emmanuel Forbes
-Mazi Smith   

8 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Confession that I’ve been putting off watching Cancey for a long time, because I expected this would be a case of the Jaylen Twymans.

Well, I was definitely wrong about that.

I don’t know if he’s going to be Aaron Donald, but just about everything I have to say about him, I would say about Aaron Donald if Donald had been born a decade later and were part of this class.

His explosiveness off the ball is unreal, he’s constantly in the backfield, and the way he closes is like if Micah put on a few pounds—you think the quarterback has a couple of seconds, and boom, Cancey has him on the ground.

Donald is such an edge case, so it’s probably not fair to expect Cancey to beat double teams at such a prodigious rate or hold up as well in the run game. But this has to be the closest we’ve seen to Donald as a prospect. I do worry a little that some teams (namely, SF and Philly) might identify him him in the run game and try to run it right at him with a double team. But you might be able to negate that with some creativity and placing him on the edge for likely running downs.

Even if you end up with the worst-case scenario on this guy, you have a player that can destroy NFL guards in passing situations and will create a lot of splash plays for you. Big fan, would endorse at #26.

I don’t think he makes it to 26, but he’s one of the few players that I would be thrilled with there. I’m starting to see several mocks with him going 6th overall to the Lions. He may very well be the first iDL off the board. Obviously his weight is an issue and I really hope other teams over think that to let him fall. 

He weighed in at the combine at 281. I wonder if it would even be an issue if he were just 10 pounds heavier. Donald was 285 at the combine Jay Ratliff was listed 287 when he played NT in a 3-4 set. Sheldon Rankins was 299 at the combine and listed anywhere from 287 to 305 depending on the source.

I truly don’t believe it’s going to be an issue at all, but I hope it’s an issue for the 25 teams drafting before us. 

9 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I don’t think he makes it to 26, but he’s one of the few players that I would be thrilled with there. I’m starting to see several mocks with him going 6th overall to the Lions. He may very well be the first iDL off the board. Obviously his weight is an issue and I really hope other teams over think that to let him fall. 

He weighed in at the combine at 281. I wonder if it would even be an issue if he were just 10 pounds heavier. Donald was 285 at the combine Jay Ratliff was listed 287 when he played NT in a 3-4 set. Sheldon Rankins was 299 at the combine and listed anywhere from 287 to 305 depending on the source.

I truly don’t believe it’s going to be an issue at all, but I hope it’s an issue for the 25 teams drafting before us. 

At 290-300, is would be less of a concern, but I also sincerely doubt his athleticism would hold up at that weight.

Like I said, I’d still take him. Even if his size does cause problems, he brings so much good to a defense regardless. I just won’t be shocked if he’s a player you have to compensate for in certain situations.

30 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m kind of settling in on 2 buckets of players that could be realistic options for our first pick (players not in a particular order within bucket).

Would be happy at #26

-Calijah Cancey   
-Darnell Washington   
-Michael Mayer   
-Steve Avila   
-O’Cyrus Torrence
-Bijan Robinson   
-Quentin Johnston

-John Michael Schmitz   
-Cody Mauch 
-Dalton Kincaid   
-Luke Musgrave   
-Zay Flowers
-Jordan Addison   
-Deonte Banks   
-Cam Smith   
-Emmanuel Forbes
-Mazi Smith   

ESPN identified 20 first round grades. The two players on your list (for those that don’t have ESPN+) are Bijan and Mayer. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35180722/2023-nfl-draft-every-prospect-first-round-grade-plus-comps-including-top-quarterbacks-edge-rushers-wide-receivers-round-1

33 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Would be happy at #26

-Calijah Cancey   
-Darnell Washington   
-Michael Mayer   
-Steve Avila   
-O’Cyrus Torrence
-Bijan Robinson   
-Quentin Johnston

-John Michael Schmitz   
-Cody Mauch 
-Dalton Kincaid   
-Luke Musgrave   
-Zay Flowers
-Jordan Addison   
-Deonte Banks   
-Cam Smith   
-Emmanuel Forbes
-Mazi Smith   

Swap Mayer and Kincaid 😉- just a personal preference thing. Classic floor/ceiling conundrum

In general I think both lists are a bit too long. I would be more "okay" with guys like Torrence and Washington, little less than thrilled with Forbes or Mazi. I do feel pretty confident you have our pick listed there somewhere

3 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Swap Mayer and Kincaid 😉- just a personal preference thing. Classic floor/ceiling conundrum

I have a really hard time taking a TE (like a RB) in the first. Especially one that will be 24 his rookie year. I’ll be pretty dissatisfied with Kincaid as our first round pick, despite his talent. 

Not a big fan of Kincaid. He has a tendency to pull an Amari Cooper after every tackle and just kind of lay there like he’s hurt. Even his highlight reel has 4-5 plays that you wonder if he got hurt. Factor in his age, and I’m out on him at 26. I don’t think Washington deserves to be in the conversation at 26. JMS, Mazi, and Mauch are better suited for pick 58/90 as well. I’d move Flowers and Forbes up to the happy list. And probably move Torrence and Avila down to the Ok list. Also think Kelee Ringo deserves some 26 love. In a class where it seems everyone is 23-25 years old, Ringo not being old enough to buy alcohol yet has to factor in even if he seems less refined. Maybe something like this. 

Would be happy at #26

-Calijah Cancey

-Zay Flowers

-Emmanuel Forbes 

-Bijan Robinson   

-JSN

-Michael Mayer  

-Deonte Banks   
-Cam Smith   
-Steve Avila   
-O’Cyrus Torrence

-Quentin Johnston

-Kelee Ringo

11 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I have a really hard time taking a TE (like a RB) in the first. Especially one that will be 24 his rookie year. I’ll be pretty dissatisfied with Kincaid as our first round pick, despite his talent. 

I respect the take and would not be surprised if 3 years from now the clear pick in hindsight was a lineman or maybe a CB.

Part of me just wants to take the moonshot though. I don't care how many top TEs were drafted outside of the first, I want the guy that looks and moves like one of them.

• Like 1

I admit I’m a little higher on Forbes than most, but I’m of the school that says you can’t teach ball skills. See Byron Jones and his 4 career interceptions. Also, the only knock on him is his weight. He has the desired length, and height. So basically you’re worried about him holding up in the run game which should be an afterthought when assessing CBs as long as they are making plays in coverage which Forbes may the best prospect ….ever when it comes to ball skills. He at least has an argument with the FBS and SEC records he now holds. 

For instance, everyone here is in love with Trevon Diggs for his ball skill abilities. No one seems to care that he couldn’t tackle WizardHawk in the open field. No one is causing a stir about him avoiding tackles in the playoffs and being scared to touch Kittle even when he’s not looking. Trevon Diggs is worthless at tackling, and we all know PrimeTime21 was not the most willing tackler either, but no one cares because of the interceptions. 

I think people are going to look back and realize they were over thinking on Forbes, when he’s a 4-7 interceptions a year guy. He’s the CB version of Calijah Kancey. Everything looks elite; the tape, the production, the timed athleticism, everything except when he steps on the scale. 

• Like 1

I think a 1st round pick should be truly electric. Someone who can be a game changer. Not just solid but a true lightening rod. 

Kancey fits that, Forbes fits that, Bijan fits that. Flowers, JSN are right there too. Maybe Johnston though I’m not the biggest fan. And if you can’t get one of those truly electric prospects then draft the biggest strongest ugliest OL left on the board. That would be my approach. 

Edited by DaBoys

48 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

And I have a really hard time with Kincaid at 26 given his back injury. TEs with back problems should scare everybody.

“Knocked for his frame by some, Forbes now weighs 170 pounds whereas previously at the combine he was 166 pounds. 

"A lot of teams try to knock me for my weight and I feel like they are not going to pick me because of what I weigh but they are just making a mistake honestly," Forbes said. 

Although that is still perceived as one of his biggest weaknesses, it has not stopped top teams from being highly interested in him. 

"I've heard from almost every team, but I've talked to the Patriots, the Eagles, the Cowboys, and the Steelers a lot and they are interested in me," Forbes said. “

https://www.si.com/college/mississippistate/.amp/football/mississippi-state-cornerback-emmanuel-forbes-believes-hes-the-best-2023-nfl-draft-cornerback-class