The Ongoing Offensive Line Thread

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I like Ziegler and think he'll be a big improvement over Grudock, but man was our OL ever neglected.  I guess it's hard having so much dead cap + trading your high picks for a star at a different position, but counting on those 3 as starters was ballsy to say the least.

They did draft Parham who should be a player in round 3, so it wasn't completely neglected. And Mumford in 7 who is intriguing. 

And they had to give Pleatherwood a chance given his lofty draft position. And the FA money, they needed to sort the defense out while extending key players. 

Can't fix it all in one offseason unfortunately.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They did draft Parham who should be a player in round 3, so it wasn't completely neglected. And Mumford in 7 who is intriguing. 

And they had to give Pleatherwood a chance given his lofty draft position. And the FA money, they needed to sort the defense out while extending key players. 

But we’re not rebuilding tho and it’s a lot of $ on the table

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Dam just read kolt had the worst grade of all our olinemen on Sunday 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

I was at the game, so was tough to watch individual matchups, but was he mainly on Mack or Bosa? 
Either one of them will make even the best LTs look bad, so I will give him a pass week 1. 
Hope he cleans it up though. 

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Imagine this O with our 2016 line. Penn - Osemele - Hudson - Jackson - Howard (woof).

That was a fricken nasty OL for the most part. 

I'd settle for Hudson back then. Hoping Parham is similar. A bit undersized but so good it doesn't matter. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Losing Parker/Good during camp who both were projected as starters was a killer

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Losing Parker/Good during camp who both were projected as starters was a killer

Parker sucked on the right side and Good was a risk.  Neither should have been counted on.  Then you have the 1st round pick who you refuse to see if he can play on the left side because Simpson is so good?  Nope lets cut the fully guaranteed guy without trying something different.  It is pure neglect by the FO.  I saw plays where James looked lost also and Miller got beat up.  The situation does not look good.  Carr has a couple more games like this and I could see him revert back to 2018 Carr.  Weapons do not matter if your QB can not function.

Edited by drfrey13

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/raiders-offensive-line-rotation-to-continue-against-cardinals-2639249/amp/

rotation to continue vs Ariz 

🤦🏽‍♂️ Come on wtf is really going on

I believe it's clear they don't have a clear answer.  And this is what happens sometimes when GMs are afraid to take a shot.  Ray Charles could see we are absolutely tore up on the OL, yet here we are after weeks of speculation and conjecture.  How could we let this happen with a full boat of picks next year, and plenty of cap space.  This to me is the first major gaffe of this era.  

We should be dialing 31 teams to see what is available and what it'll cost.  And maybe we are, but if we don't do something, we're in deep ****.  

8 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/raiders-offensive-line-rotation-to-continue-against-cardinals-2639249/amp/

rotation to continue vs Ariz 

🤦🏽‍♂️ Come on wtf is really going on

They are trying to ease Parham and Munford into regular game action. Pretty clear imo. Let them build their confidence and get comfortable vs. throwing into the fire and exposing them 60 minutes. 

The Oline was not as bad as being made out. Left side was worse than the right. Miller was terrible and he's suppose to be "the guys" on the line. 

This will all be a nothing burger in a couple weeks. Just looks bad because the QB took sacks panicking in the pocket.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Totty said:

I believe it's clear they don't have a clear answer.  And this is what happens sometimes when GMs are afraid to take a shot.  Ray Charles could see we are absolutely tore up on the OL, yet here we are after weeks of speculation and conjecture.  How could we let this happen with a full boat of picks next year, and plenty of cap space.  This to me is the first major gaffe of this era.  

We should be dialing 31 teams to see what is available and what it'll cost.  And maybe we are, but if we don't do something, we're in deep ****.  

Worth noting, Oline play is awful league wide. There are some exceptions, but most teams are pretty lackluster. 

Modern college offenses have stunted development on the Olines. Trading sounds good, but there are only a handful of players worth pulling off a trade and most teams are not letting those guys go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Worth noting, Oline play is awful league wide. There are some exceptions, but most teams are pretty lackluster. 

Modern college offenses have stunted development on the Olines. Trading sounds good, but there are only a handful of players worth pulling off a trade and most teams are not letting those guys go. 

Good point, on both points. And imo, like I said earlier Miller was the only guy who didn’t get snaps. I really hate not playing guys in the PS, carr and kolt both looked rusty, but they weren’t the only ones. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

They are trying to ease Parham and Munford into regular game action. Pretty clear imo. Let them build their confidence and get comfortable vs. throwing into the fire and exposing them 60 minutes. 

The Oline was not as bad as being made out. Left side was worse than the right. Miller was terrible and he's suppose to be "the guys" on the line. 

This will all be a nothing burger in a couple weeks. Just looks bad because the QB took sacks panicking in the pocket.  

You know how hard that is on a qb these are individuals there’s a huge diff between Mumford and Eli in play and size. Carr has a brand new right side. I can’t really be too mad at carr. Their reasoning is “everyone deserves to play” that’s bs stall techniques. I don’t buy the getting their feet wet that’s what preseason is for. These guys all played big time d1 football complete games multiple times. All off-season it was “we have all the guys we need here” then it’s “the guy we want is not in fa it’s on a roster somewhere”. their first fa pick up was a “cb” and were still picking up cb’s. This just screams inexperience to me. Oline looking bad since last preseason. I’ve never seen a olinemen rotation on any level unless there were injuries involved. I’ll pick then boom

a) kolt, Simpson, James, rook, Mumford 

b) kolt, Simpson, rook, cotton, Mumford (if James is injured)