Offensive Line Discussion Thread

The_Slamman

8 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

My issue is with the long term plan and playing musical chairs with the OL. The F.O. said the long term plan is to have Tyler at LG and have him take over at LT in 1-2 years. Peters was signed so that Tyler can go back to LG. 

I think they should stick with their long term plan and move Tyler back to LG and have Peters at LT. Once Tyron comes back, have him play at either LT/RT since he has experience doing both.  

That MAY have been the plan, but look what happened, T-Rex got injured and those plans got accelerated. Now, you could do damage to Tyler by switching him back to LG after he has now taken game snaps at LT and has done well. You keep him there. Have some stability at the most important position on the Oline for first time in what, 3-4 years? 

On 9/23/2022 at 5:55 AM, textaz03 said:

That MAY have been the plan, but look what happened, T-Rex got injured and those plans got accelerated. Now, you could do damage to Tyler by switching him back to LG after he has now taken game snaps at LT and has done well. You keep him there. Have some stability at the most important position on the Oline for first time in what, 3-4 years? 

Yeah.

I think they didn’t plan to play him at LT because they didn’t think he was ready to do it. I certainly didn’t. Couldn’t be more impressed. You have to leave him there now, he’s the future at LT.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

10 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Yeah.

I think they didn’t plan to play him at LT because they didn’t think he was ready to do it. I certainly didn’t. Couldn’t be more impressed. You have to leave him there now, he’s the future at LT.

Not to mention, Tyron at LG would limit his lower bodys abuse. And lower body is usually what ends a big mans career, as all that weight is hard to carry after 30 without breaking or tearing something, or even just daily aches. So allowing him to move inside for a season (he has next year remaining on contract and thats it I think) could prolong his career and maybe even keep him healthy for a full season. 

Steele has been terrific after his poor start to the year. Cant see sitting or moving him, either. But Tyron, with injury history in mind, could easily slide inside for a year and play backup to left and right tackle positions, and move on in a year for his last big payday.

Some notes from a man who played, coached and loves offensive line on Peters at LG:

He elevated Tylers play. You could see a confidence in Tylers aggressiveness that is not there when Farniok is next to him. Almost as if he knew he has to make sure he stays in position to help cover his inside shoulder if needed. Where as with Peters next to him, he seemed fully commited to engaging from his outside shoulder and getting full extension every chance. 

He still moves well. His trap blocking created huge lanes several times for Pollard. Pollard would have been dropped for no gain on two of his better runs if not for Peters quick feet.

Didnt like the adjustments he had to make on the fly during an inside blitz. He allowed his hips to get him beat to his inside because he didnt kick his outside foot back inside and get himself adjusted to the angle of the blitz. Luckily, it was a quick timed play and Rush had the ball out faster than the blitz could slip the gap.

Overall, he gave a boost to the line and really allows Tyler the confidence to just do his job and not worry about the man next to him. If Peters can get more comfortable with playing inside and trust his feet on interior blitzes to properly angle himself, I see no reason that Connor or Farniok need to be out there going forward unless Peters isnt in full playing shape.