Of last 20 years: Which team has had the best Team minus the QB

mdonnelly21

Im too tired to really analyze, but I always remember how stacked the mid 2000s Chargers were, and even WITH a good QB, did pretty much nothing.

Elite RB, good WR corps, elite TE, great OL, really good front 7 with a couple of briefly elite talents (Merriman and Castillo), secondary was just okay but was plenty good enough given the front 7.

As far as teams that actually did something....2015 Broncos sounds good.   They carried Manning to that title.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 43M said:

Im too tired to really analyze, but I always remember how stacked the mid 2000s Chargers were, and even WITH a good QB, did pretty much nothing.

Elite RB, good WR corps, elite TE, great OL, really good front 7 with a couple of briefly elite talents (Merriman and Castillo), secondary was just okay but was plenty good enough given the front 7.

As far as teams that actually did something....2015 Broncos sounds good.   They carried Manning to that title.

Who I thought of as well. That 2006 team from a pure talent stand point is pretty crazy. As you said, secondary was only “weak” point, and that was really just the safeties I think. 

A bit of a homer pick, but the 2006 Bears were pretty loaded.  Tons of defensive superstars like Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman, as well as some really high quality defensive players who were great but often injured in Mike Brown and Tommie Harris.  On offense, a great offensive line with a solid 1-2 punch running game with Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson who wasn't great as a starter for Chicago but was great splitting the load.  At WR Muhsin Mohammed and Bernard Berrian were a pretty solid combo.  If only Rex Grossman wasn't the QB.  

Edit: can't believe I forgot to mention Devin Hester's amazing rookie season.  Mark Anderson had 12 sacks as a 3rd down pass rusher as well.  

Edited by TankWilliams

The 2002 Buccaneers were loaded.

The 2006 Bears were a QB away.

The Broncos who won the Super Bowl with Manning's corpse were unbelievable.

If you eliminate Super Bowl teams entirely, the Keenum Vikings were great, there have been a few solid Titans teams, and tbh, people might end up saying that about the 2020 and 2022 Browns.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

2006 Ravens?

That team finished 13-3 with Kyle Boller as their QB. I think that says everything you need to know.

2006 we had Steve McNair, though he was a shell of his former self. But ya, a lot of amazing ravens defences were wasted on the Boller experiment 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 3:49 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

2006 Ravens?

That team finished 13-3 with Kyle Boller as their QB. I think that says everything you need to know.

I'd go with the 2003 Ravens, personally. Prime Ray, Reed and Suggs emerging as two HOF worthy superstars, prime Ogden, Jamal Lewis running for 2000 yards, prime McCalister having easily his best shutdown CB season, Adalius Thomas and Boulware on the edges - then rookie Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright just playing putrid QB all season long.  

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:11 PM, MWil23 said:

The Broncos who won the Super Bowl with Manning's corpse were unbelievable.

They went 9-7 the next year with Siemian. If Dak Prescott didn't screw up, and they drafted him, they would have repeated. Their D was still great (they held NE to 16 points that year, but had no O).

On 9/13/2022 at 11:55 PM, mdonnelly21 said:

I want to say 2017 Eagles had the best team top to bottom. 

You'd be right. Not even sure why teams are being listed without winning the SB in those seasons?

Back up QB

Top 5 Defense 

Top 5 Offense

Top 5 Rushing Offense

Top 5 Rushing Defense 

People get caught up with the Wentz/Foles narrative but forget the Starting LT, MLB, RB that were adequately replaced do to injury too. 

Edited by Nabbs4u