Winston Groping Incident Under Investigation

kgarrett12486

Everything I have read so far suggests the NFL is in the inquiry phase at this point.  I encourage everyone to reserve judgment until this plays out completely.   Again, I'm not suggesting something did not happen,  but the accused must be given the opportunity to refute the accusation.  I'm very interested to know how many other people were in the vehicle at the time.  The accuser says no one else, Winston side strongly disagrees on this point.  I'm assuming he will be giving names of who else was there.  If witnesses corroborate his side of the story,  does that take precedence over the accuser s recollection of the situation?   According to Greg Auman there was no video surveillance available at the drive thru of the restaurant.   It looks likes to me this comes down to testimony and which side can produce witnesses.  Basically,  there is still a lot to play out, IMO.

Let's be honest the optics look bad.  Even if there are witnesses to strengthen Winton s side of the story, this will be something that will further stain his name for many in society.  I am unwilling to label someone when our judicial system hasn't, but that' just me.  I understand not everyone will share that view.

IMO, he is at the very least guilty of very poor judgment with this incident.   He has to make better decisions who he is around in a public setting.  It' s ashame in this regard because he makes a lot of very good decisions in public,  which you won't read about.  The hours spent during the entire year doing charity work and working with youth groups.  I'm not suggesting he can't be a pariah,  but labeling him one without any legal judgment is a very slippery slope.

Having written that, I understand the league fully engages in doling out justice to pacify  the angry mob demanding their pound of flesh.  So in this case when the dust settles, yes I do believe Winston will get suspended, but not under the Domestic Violence policy.  I expect the Personal Conduct Policy to come into play.  This is why I brought up earlier looking at all Winston s behavior off the field.  I don't want to venture a guess on amount of games, but I would be surprised with 6 unless some new facts come out of this incident that haven't been exposed.

Finally,  the organization will only sever ties with Winston if there is more then the evidence presented right now that indeed he was in the passenger seat.  I expect if this inquiry leads to an investigation to be completed before the season ends manly because I'm not sure what Uber can really add to this point for an investigation. 

13 hours ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Honestly, if they turn out to be valid, yes I do. Before this, IMO there was 100000% chance of Jameis Winston being the starting QB here next year and for the foreseeable future. Now? If these allegations are indeed true and we decide to clean house, I think there's a possibility that they decide to make a change. Do I think it's likely? No, but I'm not going to completely rule it out. 

I'm in agreement. However, we disagree on the the possibility of Jameis being traded by a new regime. I think it is more likely than you think. Reason being, the Glazers have put a lot of money into this team over the last few years.

There was a good Tampa Times article written about how people who weren't pro Jameis had begun to trust him over the past 3 years and for those, now it's gone and it's not coming back. Not to say he is guilty before an investigation, but it proves he's still foolish with who he hangs around and positions he puts himself in and that itself is a slippery slope, expecially with his history.

With that being said, while I won't use the word "suffer" the Glazers will start to have a financial impact to consider. A young "franchise" QB who is supported by half the community with serious background issues that are recurring, PR issues with the Bucs because you see Jameis when you see the Bucs and that's not great right now, and concerns on how far he'll take this team due to his maturity.

Does anyone thing we should limit out GM choices only to guys who think Jameis is the savior of this team with all the above in consideration? I don't. You being in a fresh front office and coaches, do you think they want to have their GMing and coaching careers on the shoulders of a shaky QB, not just on the field by off, something they really can't control? I don't. 

All the above considered, a new front office will probably look to bring in their guy at QB and trade Jameis for premium picks, while they can still get some. Sure Jameis could wind up to take the Browns out of the dumpster, but there are far too many concerns with his on, but more so off fiend and support in the community for him to continue a successful career here. That last sentence is somewhat me speaking but more so what I think a new front office will say. Develop a new QB. With the weapons we have, hopefully they would be successful. 

Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

If we were 6-3 instead of 3-6, this news would be taken A LOT differently. Winning fixes everything.

Agreed, however on field play of Jameis is what it is and that's why we are what we are. Trading him with a new regime sounds unlikely, but if there is any validity to these claims, his on field play being not to the level we all think it should be makes this a little easier if you're a new GM.

Just now, Lil' Shorty said:

Agreed, however on field play of Jameis is what it is and that's why we are what we are. Trading him with a new regime sounds unlikely, but if there is any validity to these claims, his on field play being not to the level we all think it should be makes this a little easier if you're a new GM.

I get your stance. I really do. But I don't think there's a single coach out there that doesn't see a QB like Jameis and think, "I can fix his deficiencies and take this team to the Super Bowl." If there is, he has no business coaching.

29 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Whether or not he did it only really determines whether or not he gets in trouble legally; and potentially gets cut/whatever. Goodell is gonna give him the Zeke treatment regardless.

I guess we ll find out.  These cases arent very similiar as of right now.  The league based their decision off photos and testimony from the ex girlfriend and Elliot.  I would think a similiar process of interviewing would be conducted  before a lengthy suspension would be imposed.  However, with the NFL you never know.

5 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I guess we ll find out.  These cases arent very similiar as of right now.  The league based their decision off photos and testimony from the ex girlfriend and Elliot.  I would think a similiar process of interviewing would be conducted  before a lengthy suspension would be imposed.  However, with the NFL you never know.

But Zeke wasn't even taken to trial. The thing they argued forever had to do with how the NFL handled evidence and made their case. It had nothing to do with whether or not Zeke actually did it. I expect more of the same here.

If Goodell wants to suspend someone, it's gonna happen. He's judge, jury, and executioner. That's what the NFLPA agreed to.

This isn't a case of checks and balances like the US legal system. It's more of a dictatorship. And with everything going on in Hollywood AND Zeke's case, I'd be shocked if Jameis didn't get at least six games. More if he did it. And if he did do it, he can go. Buh bye.

Again, whether or not he's guilty doesn't matter in the court of public opinion and it doesn't matter with Goodell. He's trying to protect the shield.

I would like to take this moment to thank everyone involved with this discussion so far. You've all handled this in a mature manner. If you've ever been to NFL News or (especially) NFL Gen, then you'd know how quickly discussions like this turn into a got damn mess.

So thanks.

@kgarrett12486, @REDandPEWTER, @Famous Jameis, @Lil' Shorty, @ravishingone, @indifference, @Calibucsfan, @eggybucsfan31

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

I get your stance. I really do. But I don't think there's a single coach out there that doesn't see a QB like Jameis and think, "I can fix his deficiencies and take this team to the Super Bowl." If there is, he has no business coaching.

I don't disagree with any of this. I think the game changer will be if a new regime feels that his off field is 1. Detrimental to the team 2. Detrimental to his development as an NFL QB. Some things can't be coached, including the support of a fan base. 

@bucsfan333, I totally  agree with you on Article 46 giving Goodell total discretion.  IIRC, all the cases he  doled out maximum suspension time to players happened when some type of visual evidence and/or police report created.  Im basing this off the Rice, Hardy, Peterson, Brown, and Elliot suspensions.  It is totally plausible we ve reached the point with Goodell a complaint filed with accompanying texts to friends is enough for maximum suspension against a player.

Either way Im curious how this plays out.  Winston is going to have to give a name or names on who was there.  If those names arent employed by the league, they have no jurisdiction to make them  cooperate.  IMO, the league is venturing into uncharted waters to max suspend  a player because he was in the same area as an accusation with no additional evidence, and I agree with your point a likely outcome with those mentioned above. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/19/ronald-darby-accusations-against-jameis-winston-are-just-not-true/

Ronald Darby claims to have been present and to have been sat in the back seat of the taxi with Winston. 

Whether this influences the NFL’s decision on potential suspension is anyone’s guess (especially in light of the Zeke Elliot saga).

Theres also the question of whether Darby is credible. Will it just be dismissed by people as someone trying to bail out their friend?

Archived