Winston Groping Incident Under Investigation

kgarrett12486

And given that there is no evidence, it's looking pretty good for Jameis. Something new can come out at any time. But right now, Jameis only has to worry about Goodell. Not because it looks like he's guilty (right now) but because Goodell had an itchy trigger finger.

Having someone else speak out in Jameis' favor to refute the original claim helps. It helps even more that Darby is a current player.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

And given that there is no evidence, it's looking pretty good for Jameis. Something new can come out at any time. But right now, Jameis only has to worry about Goodell. Not because it looks like he's guilty (right now) but because Goodell had an itchy trigger finger.

Having someone else speak out in Jameis' favor to refute the original claim helps. It helps even more that Darby is a current player.

What doesn't help is that Darby also vouched for him for the first incident so that is a bit awkward IMO...  

13 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Just listened to Monday joe on joe bucsfan. He made an interesting statement. 

The bucs, first off, invested a lot in his predraft investigation. He was a huge risk. Not only that but at the rookie symposium they tell players to inform their team of any situation they come into off the field so they can jump ahead of it. Right there Jameis did nothing. 

Second, Uber customer service leaving a voicemail: they could have easily stated "you or another person" is just a line they use standardly. When you utilize Uber, it's your account. They don't track how many people there are in the vehicle. 

Right now, it is very ballsy for this woman to make a false accusation, stick to it, lawyer up,  etc only to find out that she made the whole thing up. Lawyers don't take cases either to ruin their own reputations. 

It doesn't look good for winston unless he has solid evidence. 

Yeah, I think Uber will be reading that voicemail from a script, so I don’t think any kind of conclusion can be drawn from that. 

I think it really depends on the circumstances whether Winston thought he should notify the Bucs. If it was me, if nothing had happened, I wouldn’t notify the them. Equally, someone who did something they don’t want to admit to probably wouldn’t notify the team either.

This could be anywhere between completely true and completely false. If it can be demonstrated that two other people were in the car and that both have a consistent story, it goes some way to proving Winston’s innocence. Equally, if the lawyer can prove that there weren’t others in the vehicle, it makes Jameis look guilty.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only thing linking Winston to this, at this stage, is the fact that it was his Uber account. He’s since freely admitted to being in the car. Am I right in thinking that at no point has the alleged victim specifically said it was Winston?

Another point to consider, surely there will be CCTV from the pickup point/ the drive thru which could show how many people got in/ were in the car?

There’s also the question of whether anyone working in the drive thru that night recognised Winston. From personal experience, when a minor celebrity rolls through, everyone on shift knows about it. There’s therefore a possibility that there are staff members working that night who can throw some more light on this.

As for the lawyer’s reputation, I don’t think he’ll be overly bothered by this case’s potential negative impact on it. What lawyer could lose face over taking a case which could give an alleged sexual assault victim justice? You have to work on the basis your client isn’t lying to you. There’s also the added dimension that it gives him another shot at Winston.

Winston first stated there was additional people in the car.  Darby stated Winston and himself were in the back seat.  I fnd it hard to believe the legal teams for both Winston and Darby recommend fabricating a story involving a third person. Is it possible, I guess?  Is Darby that much of a knuckle head to jeopardize his own income for Winston if he didnt believe his story to be true?  Do you really believe Goodell would not suspend Darby if he was found to fabricate the story.  I guarantee you the league already knows who is the 3rd person.

How does Uber escape criticism?  What kind of internal investigation was done with the complaint?  As an employer, why is it not standard protocal to notify the police of this type of activity?  How does Winston s acct information get leaked to the public without any police involvement? This is very shady on multiple levels.  

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/933103483569532934?s=17

If Winston and Darby s account of that night can be proven false,  then I m fine with the organization moving on from him.  However, as I have mentioned earlier so many layers of this story are sketchy at best. I think Uber needs to be held accountable as far as what procedures they have to investigate these allegations and protect the information of its customers when no police investigation is initiated.  It seems they have some real issues, that I would have a concern about being a potential customer.  I have never used Uber personally mainly because I just prefer to be the driver all the time I travel, it s a quirk, I admit it.

I think what we need is to research videos of the pick up location and drop off location or locations. 

Another thing to consider: were all three men, if they were all in the car, dropped off at the same place? Time? We're Darby and co out of the car and Jameis was the last stop? 

Is there survaliance of the drive through ? Can they track their cell phones of the pick up point of all three people? 

There are a lot of variables that need to be investigated. 

I still think winston had an obligation to forewarn the Bucs organization. Why? He was heavily criticized for sexual assault and there are a lot of people who feel he got away with it instead of him being innocent. 

The rookie symposium teaches incoming players to notify their organization of any events they may be involved in so they aren't blindsided. Winston was called by Uber the next day in March , 2016, notifying to him why his account was suspended. Then, he should have noticed the Bucs that this can be a potential issue Bc he may be accused of yet another sexual assault, whether it is true or false. 

The NFL will take its time to properly research this case. But the woman did not sit on this as she reported it as soon as possible to her company. 

I know this isn't anything directly but recently from my experiences using Uber this weekend, I had two drivers falsely report the amount of people in my vehicle in order to jack up rates. We had 2-3 passengers and they falsely reported 5 people. 

Now this is a different scenario but just having to resolve these issues, if I'm the NFL , I strongly want to factor in the credibility of these Uber drivers and check their backgrounds, etc. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I’m questioning the integrity of the nfl on this. Super bowl run or not, Darby should have been questioned. 

The nfl prolonged this investigation to the offseason and I don’t agree with it. To me this is a serious matter that the nfl shouldn’t take lightly yet they’re sitting on it until the offseason. 

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

This is getting annoying, honestly. I get that we don't need play by play and updates as the investigation goes on. But it doesn't even sound like there's an investigation happening.

Honestly, I believe the accuser has not decided to cooperate with the NFL.  I will not speculate as to why.   Or the accuser has spoken to the NFL and her story didnt gain traction.  For all of Goodell s authority, he would be a fool to suspend a player without even interviewing him.  Even the lawyer in Goodell understands that basic principle.

I expect the NFL was waiting to make an announcement after the Super Bowl anyway.  If the decision goes as I expect, there will be social media outrage for a day.  The people who hate Winston will continue to do so, the ones that arent will move on quickly.  

9 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

The nfl, as I suspected, waited to investigate this off-season instead of immediately. 

To me it’s easy. If Winston wasn’t in the front seat, rat the guy in the front out. He has so much to lose if he doesn’t. 

I'd imagine there's something like this going on behind the scenes. Or, at least, something like this will happen if needed.

But it sounds like the girl that originally brought it up isn't even pressing charges. So I dunno.

Archived