Week 2 - Washington Commanders at Detroit Lions

Superduperman

21 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday. I just looked on PFF to see how they graded some of the Lions. 

Jared Goff 20/34, 256 yards, 4 TD's, 0 INT, 3 Sacks = 61.6 OVR?

Did PFF do JG dirty? 

Wentz was sacked 5 times, had 1 INT, 1 less TD 80 more yards (playing down from 22 points, so they're gonna throw) and had him at 57.4 after a loss. 

Goff missed a couple throws, Chark/Hock were 0-7 at one point, but he played damn well otherwise. 

39 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday. I just looked on PFF to see how they graded some of the Lions. 

Jared Goff 20/34, 256 yards, 4 TD's, 0 INT, 3 Sacks = 61.6 OVR?

Did PFF do JG dirty? 

Wentz was sacked 5 times, had 1 INT, 1 less TD 80 more yards (playing down from 22 points, so they're gonna throw) and had him at 57.4 after a loss. 

Supposedly PFF grades on a per play basis and Goff had some dumb plays, bad throws etc. Early we turned it over on downs at the goal line because he made poor throws. He could have ran it in but threw it behind Chark instead on 4th.  There were definitely some other throws that were off a little or just bad decisions on the throws.  I would say that grade is fair for him.  

Wentz also if you take the pressure into account, he did decent with what he was dealing with.  His INT was a tipped ball but still a bad decision.  I would say his grade is fair as well as he played a strong second half.

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/hockenson-among-lowest-pff-graded-lions

Interesting grades here.  Hutch with one of the lower defensive score along with Harris. Those two had 4 sacks and a safety between them so if they get better per PFF that will be nice. 

Hock and Chark along with Stenberg are at the bottom of the offense which lines up.  Skipper and Evan brown in the top rated offensive players which is nice to see.  Decker and ARSB had great games so makes sense they were highly rated. Stenberg's pass block rating went from 0 to 4 but he allowed 6 pressures, three hurries, a QB hit and a sack.  Definitely need an uprgade there.  Skipper or Brown can move over when Ragnow/Jackson are back. 

Will Harris was our highest rated DB with Walker second.  Board was our highest rated LB with Rodrigo in a close second. Board only played 16 snaps on D though so Rodrigo is a better sample size.  Cominsky with the best D Line grade is shocking but he was getting pressure but also only out there on 42% of the plays.  

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/hockenson-among-lowest-pff-graded-lions

Interesting grades here.  Hutch with one of the lower defensive score along with Harris. Those two had 4 sacks and a safety between them so if they get better per PFF that will be nice. 

Hock and Chark along with Stenberg are at the bottom of the offense which lines up.  Skipper and Evan brown in the top rated offensive players which is nice to see.  Decker and ARSB had great games so makes sense they were highly rated. 

Will Harris was our highest rated DB with Walker second.  Board was our highest rated LB with Rodrigo in a close second.  Cominsky with the best D Line grade is shocking but he was getting pressure.  

Hutchinson's numbers week 2 - 57.3 Pass Rush Score

Sack rate = 3/46 pass rush snaps = 6.5%

Hurries = 3/46 pass rush snaps = 6.5%

Hits = 0/46 snaps = 0%

Pressure Rate = 6/46 pass rush snaps = 13.04%

Myles Garrett's Week 2 Numbers (#1 Pass Rusher according to PFF) - 80.6 Pass Rush Score

Sack Rate = 1/40 = 2.5%

Hurries = 5/40 = 12.5%

Hits = 1/40 = 2.5%

Pressure Rate = 7/40 = 17.5%

It looks like PFF places a strong emphasis on hurries and hits compared to just straight sack numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Hutchinson's numbers week 2 - 57.3 Pass Rush Score

Sack rate = 3/46 pass rush snaps = 6.5%

Hurries = 3/46 pass rush snaps = 6.5%

Hits = 0/46 snaps = 0%

Pressure Rate = 6/46 pass rush snaps = 13.04%

Myles Garrett's Week 2 Numbers (#1 Pass Rusher according to PFF) - 80.6 Pass Rush Score

Sack Rate = 1/40 = 2.5%

Hurries = 5/40 = 12.5%

Hits = 1/40 = 2.5%

Pressure Rate = 7/40 = 17.5%

It looks like PFF places a strong emphasis on hurries and hits compared to just straight sack numbers. 

I think its based on what they think your role is on each play, so my guess is its determined on what you do on the other plays when not getting pressure.  Were you buried by OL, out of position allowing a sneak, dealing with double teams, etc. Hutch was getting pressure but also his sacks tended to be when Wentz moved from other pressure and Hutch was there.  Which is good, but also maybe not as much pressure as they expected.  

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

I'll still take Stenberg in there. Goff's protection hasn't been great, but good enough, but they kept run blocking very well as a line.

He has been our worst offensive player two weeks in a row.  Goff has done well enough but imagine if he didnt have the worst graded OL in the league in front of him. 

Just goes to show the grades don't mean everything. From where I'm sitting, the Lions OL looks fantastic.

We have a consistent running game that doesn't depend on one player's transcendent talent for the first time in the 40 years I've been watching the team.

Goff has been protected well enough to throw 6 td's to one pick so far, and everything that's gone wrong in the passing game has been due to inaccurate throws or drops.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Just goes to show the grades don't mean everything. From where I'm sitting, the Lions OL looks fantastic.

We have a consistent running game that doesn't depend on one player's transcendent talent for the first time in the 40 years I've been watching the team.

Goff has been protected well enough to throw 6 td's to one pick so far, and everything that's gone wrong in the passing game has been due to inaccurate throws or drops.

Inaccurate throws tend to be the result of pressure.  Scoring 35 a game isnt sustainable and at some point will need better play out of the line.  Just because something is good as a whole but has a really poor piece in the middle, why not upgrade it?  If Jackson and or Ragnow come back, why would you not put Skipper or Brown there who have been better?  Why not try to upgrade weak spots on the team just because we have had some success?  Having the worst player at any position will bite you at some point.  I am not saying go trade a 1st for the top RG in the league, I am saying find some practice squad guys or current free agents to bring in and compete since Vaitai is out for a while.  

4 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Through two weeks Lions rank as followed:

7th in overall offense
- 14th in pass offense
- 3rd in run offense

19th in overall defense
- 20th in pass defense
- 23rd in run defense

About where we thought we'd be. Top ten offense, still towards the bottom in defense. 

I'd really like to see us improve these two numbers. If we can get more effective as a passing offense, this is an offense that can be very dangerous and open up a lot of opportunities. If we can get the run defense into the 16ish range, we'd open up a lot more in terms of passing downs and allow guys like Hutch and Harris to attack. We aren't going to be scoring 35/game so we need to do a better job at stopping the run and controlling the clock. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd really like to see us improve these two numbers. If we can get more effective as a passing offense, this is an offense that can be very dangerous and open up a lot of opportunities. If we can get the run defense into the 16ish range, we'd open up a lot more in terms of passing downs and allow guys like Hutch and Harris to attack. We aren't going to be scoring 35/game so we need to do a better job at stopping the run and controlling the clock. 

I think pass offense will be improved once we get start getting contributions from Hockenson, Chark and Jameson Williams. Right now, our passing game is basically ARSB and few shots to Reynolds/RBs to keep the defense honest. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think pass offense will be improved once we get start getting contributions from Hockenson, Chark and Jameson Williams. Right now, our passing game is basically ARSB and few shots to Reynolds/RBs to keep the defense honest. 

Yup.  WRs other than ARSB have 8 targets in two games.  Could be scheme or they arent getting open.  I also would like to keep using Swift more in that area.  I know he was limited injury wise but he would help the underneath passing game a lot and when in space he is dangerous. 

• Like 2