Tua vs Mac vs Wilson

WizeGuy

Who will turn out to be the best QB of the bunch?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who will turn out to be the best QB of the bunch?

• Tua
    • Mac
    • Wilson

As of right now- the AFCE is once again dominated by one QB. The past two years- Allen has made the AFCE his b**** only losing one game to the Pats in one of the windiest games of recent memory. It's apparent that these teams will need a franchise QB to have any chance of sustained success in the AFCE (unless Allen gets injured, which is a legit concern given his playing style)

The Jets and Dolphins have been STARVING for a franchise QB. The Pats have just started their journey into finding one. So I ask you this- which of the three QBs do you think will have the best career? Also, do you believe any of these 3 QBs will become franchise QBs? Can they compete with Allen? 

Edited by WizeGuy

I'd say Wilson just because of his arm talent. That's the only way you're going to compete and go head to head with Allen. 

Mac Jones will be a fine QB but I don't think he has the elite arm talent to be a top 10 QB in the league or win games BECAUSE of him. 

Tua I am not sold on and is similar to Mac Jones. He's fine and servicable but I don't think he's a game changing QB. 

Zac Wilson out of the 3 has the best talent and strongest arm.. so say he actually pans out and plays up to his ability, I think his ceiling is the highest and to be king of the AFC east and Josh Allen, I think you'll need to be a top QB in the league. I'm not confident Wilson will be but he has the raw talent to get to there. 

20 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

I'd say Wilson just because of his arm talent. That's the only way you're going to compete and go head to head with Allen. 

Mac Jones will be a fine QB but I don't think he has the elite arm talent to be a top 10 QB in the league or win games BECAUSE of him. 

Tua I am not sold on and is similar to Mac Jones. He's fine and servicable but I don't think he's a game changing QB. 

Zac Wilson out of the 3 has the best talent and strongest arm.. so say he actually pans out and plays up to his ability, I think his ceiling is the highest and to be king of the AFC east and Josh Allen, I think you'll need to be a top QB in the league. I'm not confident Wilson will be but he has the raw talent to get to there. 

I agree with a lot of this. Wilson has the only realistic shot of being able to go toe-to-toe with Allen, but that's due to his arm talent. I also think he's the least likely to hit his potential because 1) I don't trust Saleh to develop him properly, though I do like Douglas and 2) I think he lacks what it takes between the ears to shred a defense apart.

Tua and Mac are much safer bets to become system QBs. I like Tua with McDaniel. A west coast offense suits him well, but he is a limited QB. I can't ever see him going toe-to-toe with Allen unless he becomes the next Drew Brees, which seems incredibly unlikely. I think he settles in as an Alex Smith type. 

Mac Jones had a good rookie campaign, but he was also coddled by one of the best coaches ever. If he were in Tua's situation- he would've suffered a similar fate. I see him being similar to Tua in that he'll be more of a game manager than a franchise guy. 

If you put a gun to my head- I think Tua turns out the best of the bunch by becoming a borderline top-10 QB in this league.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

Physical talent gets overrated, constantly. 3/4 of the greatest QBs of the most generation (Brady/Brees/Peyton/Rodgers) did not have elite arms or crazy off-platform throwing ability. Accuracy, pocket presence, seeing the defense, football IQ, these will all always be more important than arm talent - it’s just harder to see those things than arm talent.

We’re at a point where we see fastish players with howitzers running around the league, being flashy, making great plays. But they can all play the position well, and then those physical skills are able to be maximized. Without the QBing ability, the physical talent doesn’t mean much. 

Mac’s the furthest along now. Followed by Tua, followed by Wilson. Wilson’s got the best physical talent though.

"Arm talent" has replaced "analytics" as the single most annoying and overused buzzword. JaMarcusRussell had "arm talent". Ryan Leaf had "arm talent".

Say what you want about Mac, but he's at least been to the playoffs and made the Pro Bowl FWIW. All Wilson has done isnstink up the joint like any other Jets quarterback post-Namath and get hurt. He has done literally next to nothing.

Anyone who says they'd rather have Wilson over Mac or even TT is nuts.

Edited by biggie.

On 9/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, biggie. said:

"Arm talent" has replaced "analytics" as the single most annoying and overused buzzword. JaMarcusRussell had "arm talent". Ryan Leaf had "arm talent".

Say what you want about Mac, but he's at least been to the playoffs and made the Pro Bowl FWIW. All Wilson has done isnstink up the joint like any other Jets quarterback post-Namath and get hurt. He has done literally next to nothing.

Anyone who says they'd rather have Wilson over Mac or even TT is nuts.

Mac would have stunk it up with what the Jets had last season. By the end stretch the Jets were down to their 4th and 5th stringers at WR and backups all over the OL and had the worst defense in football. 

Wilson has a bigger learning curve as well, he came from BYU, yeah the players he was throwing to were horrible, but he also wasn't playing against the best athletes. Mac is a system QB who will dink and dunk throughout the system, Wilson has to learn to play within a system because of his raw talent that allowed him to make wow throw after wow throw in college. QBs like Wilson usually don't play as a rookie. Didn't see Rodgers, Favre, or Mahomes playing as a rookie. We saw Josh Allen though. You bank on those QBs because if you hit, they are that top tier level where as a guy like Mac is gonna sit around middle of the road. 

Edited by NYJets4716

16 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Mac would have stunk it up with what the Jets had last season. By the end stretch the Jets were down to their 4th and 5th stringers at WR and backups all over the OL and had the worst defense in football. 

Wilson has a bigger learning curve as well, he came from BYU, yeah the players he was throwing to were horrible, but he also wasn't playing against the best athletes. Mac is a system QB who will dink and dunk throughout the system, Wilson has to learn to play within a system because of his raw talent that allowed him to make wow throw after wow throw in college. QBs like Wilson usually don't play as a rookie. Didn't see Rodgers, Favre, or Mahomes playing as a rookie. We saw Josh Allen though. You bank on those QBs because if you hit, they are that top tier level where as a guy like Mac is gonna sit around middle of the road. 

Mahomes would have stunk it up on the Jets. It's the New York Jets.

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Mac is a system QB

How do you figure? Almost turnover in the offensive staff, new play caller, minor roster turnover. What’s the system?

People used to say this about Brady for years, not caring at all how the offense evolved, the players that would come in and out, the new OCs, or the strengths of the offense. They’d just say Bill = system. Mac is two games into his sophomore season with a new play caller and I see he’s already got the same label, lol.

18 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

How do you figure? Almost turnover in the offensive staff, new play caller, minor roster turnover. What’s the system?

People used to say this about Brady for years, not caring at all how the offense evolved, the players that would come in and out, the new OCs, or the strengths of the offense. They’d just say Bill = system. Mac is two games into his sophomore season with a new play caller and I see he’s already got the same label, lol.

I meant that by that he has to play within the system, but game manager is a better word for it. 

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

I meant that by that he has to play within the system, but game manager is a better word for it. 

Again, same criticism of early Brady (who I’m not comparing to Mac in terms of ability or outlook, mind you). It’s just become a common, and IMO lazy, take on QBs that don’t have plus mobility and the tendency to make wild off-platform throws. 

All good QBs need to be able to make things happen when the play breaks down and all good QBs sometimes can’t do that. How good was Brady playing off script vs NYG? Or Mahomes vs TB (heroic, but unsuccessful)? Has less to do with physical talent and more to do with skill, with the l physical talent being an obvious plus. 

That said, neither of Mac or Wilson are really those guys yet. It’s early, neither team’s particularly loaded offensively either. Tua actually is the best when not “within the system”, but he’s also got more experience than the other two, so you’d almost expect that.

How overrated is arm talent in today's NFL?

More of an observation, but the best QBs all seem to have the best arms - Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Rodgers.. even going down the list, aside from Brady, QB rankings are oddly aligned with arm talent at the moment.