Tua vs Mac vs Wilson

WizeGuy

Who will turn out to be the best QB of the bunch?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who will turn out to be the best QB of the bunch?

• Tua
    • Mac
    • Wilson

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Negative, you must not know Jets fans. We were whining about Pennington having a noodle arm to the point we let him go for Favre. Pennington often hang throws and felt like against good defenses we couldn't do anything. 

Arm talent is important, there is a reason why the elite QBs have elite arm talents.  No one said its the only thing that matters. 

...And after being set free he goes on to eliminate y'all from the playoffs and takes the Dolphins to the playoffs.

I'm more worried about facing Joe than Wilson. 

Wilson spotted us like 17 points last season. Took the pressure right off.

As for Tua - I see he got a bump from this week. I would strongly predict he never sees WRs that open again. They were wide-*** open, it was incredible. Ravens scared to death. Tua played brilliant, don't get me wrong. But it must have felt like college to him.

And I'm also concerned with Mac big time, before I get the salty pats comments. I like him, but I don't see it right now

On 9/20/2022 at 7:34 PM, NJC33 said:

In terms of reaching that top tier?

Obviously arm talent doesn’t equate to anything on its own. What’s interesting though, currently, all the top QBs have those elite physical traits. There’s no one in that upper echelon who fits a Brees, Brady or Manning profile.

I mean Brady just led the league in yards and TD’s last year, was the MVP runner up and many believe he should have won and was voted the best player in the top 100. He definitely is in that upper echelon currently 

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

I mean Brady just led the league in yards and TD’s last year, was the MVP runner up and many believe he should have won and was voted the best player in the top 100. He definitely is in that upper echelon currently 

Figured that much went without saying.

Point being, there hasn't been anyone of late to reach that top tier without those elite physical traits. Maybe that's a coincidence, or maybe it indicates that arm talent is more important than it used to be. 

On 9/21/2022 at 9:03 AM, biggie. said:

Here we go with this BS again.

At least we have a functional QB, something the Jets haven't had since the Carter administration.

In his last 8 game, roughly half a season, your functional QB is averaging 206yds per game with 8TDs, 7INTs and a 62% completion rate.

9 of his 11 wins have resulted from the defense allowing less than 14 points.

32 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

In his last 8 game, roughly half a season, your functional QB is averaging 206yds per game with 8TDs, 7INTs and a 62% completion rate.

9 of his 11 wins have resulted from the defense allowing less than 14 points.

Better than anything the Jets have trotted since 1976.

• 1 month later...

So far it looks like Tua is having the best season, though I believe we're going to start seeing some of those dropped INTs turn into actual INTs soon. He's been pretty lucky this year to have as many INTs as he does. Still, I love his release. He just doesn't improvise very well. 

Mac, well- what can you say? Dude was injured, and played blah when he came back and was benched. Maybe he's still injured? Hard to get a read on him so far this season. It is crazy how quickly some of the fanbase has turned on him. I think he can still become a borderline top-10 guy, but BB needs to keep him in the game. Zappe was a fun story, but the odds of him becoming a franchise guy are incredibly low. 

Wilson has been mediocre at best. Makes some big throws but is painfully inconsistent. I still don't think he has the IQ to be a good QB, but his arm talent in undeniable. Still has the highest ceiling if he put everything together, but that's looking less and less likely unless he does a complete 180 this year. I still think they give him year 3 unless he implodes. He hasn't been good this year, but he has progressed since last year. 

So, if I were to rank them today:

Tua

Mac

Wilson

Wilson was the most raw of the three so will take the longest to reach his potential.  The jump from clean pockets at BYU to a banged up OL in the NFL is real.  Mac sucks and was carried last year by a great coach and defense.  Now that things around him aren't perfect his true colors are shinning through, he sucks and is a few weeks away from probably being benched for Zappe.  Wilson will probably leap him by years end if he hasn't already.  Tua has great weapons and has done a great job getting them the ball so right now he clearly the best one of the bunch.  His limitations are apparent and if Wilson reaches his potential could surpass Tua.  Right now the answer is Tua but his injury concerns are real and his physical ability cap his ceiling.

Wilson obviously has a ways to go still but has taken his QBR from last to 21st this year and upped his YPA.  His raw numbers aren't popping out but he's 4-0 and is making plays in key spots to help his team win.  He still struggles mightily with pressure as expected but has been excellent with a clean pocket.  With just a bit more seasoning his talent could vault him to the top of this list.   

This division with Allen, Wilson, Tua could be good for a long time.

• Like 1

You got to give Jones and Wilson at least 3 years. In year 3 Tua with McDaniel looks solid but they are playing to his strengths, under Flores's "system" with multiple OC's even dual OC's it was a far different story. (hint hint New England). I'm all in on giving Tua a second year in McDaniel's system (year 4). 

Hard to say at this point what you truly have in Wilson or Jones. As a fan of a division rival I can say I hope the Patriots move on from Mac because I think that would be a mistake this early. He looked solid his first year but has regressed this year, many QB's do in their second season. Burrow and Herbert are anomalies. I feel all things being equal Mac would be better than Wilson but the Jets are doing a much better job giving Wilson playmakers to work with and thus are doing a better job developing him. I believe many a gifted QB who failed in the NFL could have thrived under the right coach or in the right system. 

To answer the poll though based on what their respective organizations are doing to help them, and limited sample size, for now I would have to put Tua 1, Wilson 2, Mac 3. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Wilson was the most raw of the three so will take the longest to reach his potential.  The jump from clean pockets at BYU to a banged up OL in the NFL is real.  Mac sucks and was carried last year by a great coach and defense.  Now that things around him aren't perfect his true colors are shinning through, he sucks and is a few weeks away from probably being benched for Zappe.  Wilson will probably leap him by years end if he hasn't already.  Tua has great weapons and has done a great job getting them the ball so right now he clearly the best one of the bunch.  His limitations are apparent and if Wilson reaches his potential could surpass Tua.  Right now the answer is Tua but his injury concerns are real and his physical ability cap his ceiling.

Wilson obviously has a ways to go still but has taken his QBR from last to 21st this year and upped his YPA.  His raw numbers aren't popping out but he's 4-0 and is making plays in key spots to help his team win.  He still struggles mightily with pressure as expected but has been excellent with a clean pocket.  With just a bit more seasoning his talent could vault him to the top of this list.   

This division with Allen, Wilson, Tua could be good for a long time.

2 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

You got to give Jones and Wilson at least 3 years. In year 3 Tua with McDaniel looks solid but they are playing to his strengths, under Flores's "system" with multiple OC's even dual OC's it was a far different story. (hint hint New England). I'm all in on giving Tua a second year in McDaniel's system (year 4). 

Hard to say at this point what you truly have in Wilson or Jones. As a fan of a division rival I can say I hope the Patriots move on from Mac because I think that would be a mistake this early. He looked solid his first year but has regressed this year, many QB's do in their second season. Burrow and Herbert are anomalies. I feel all things being equal Mac would be better than Wilson but the Jets are doing a much better job giving Wilson playmakers to work with and thus are doing a better job developing him. I believe many a gifted QB who failed in the NFL could have thrived under the right coach or in the right system. 

To answer the poll though based on what their respective organizations are doing to help them, and limited sample size, for now I would have to put Tua 1, Wilson 2, Mac 3. 

Good posts.

Tua is pretty easily #1 in my book, but he's also a year further in his development. Wilson has the arm talent and mobility you want in a QB, but still has A LOT of growing to do. Douglas and Saleh will give him a good opportunity to succeed, though. 

Brady feasted on that AFCE because there was never another franchise QB in the division. Allen will likely be the best QB in the division, but if Mac/ Tua/ Wilson can become legit top-10 QBs, then the division gets way tighter. What makes it tough- though- is Buffalo has such a strong front office + coaching that they're going to continue finding high-end talent and depth via drafting and FA, and the advantage they'll likely have at QB is the cherry on top. 

The AFCE is likely going to be a blood bath going forward. Even if those three QBs fall short of becoming franchise guys- NE has BB, the Jets have a good GM in Douglas, and MIA personnel is crazy talented on offense. I don't think any of those squads will be walkovers for the foreseeable future. It'll likely run through Buffalo most years, but that doesn't mean another team won't rise up and become playoff contenders, too. The Jets will be especially scary if Wilson can put it all together. 

Edited by WizeGuy