Tua vs Mac vs Wilson

WizeGuy

Who will turn out to be the best QB of the bunch?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who will turn out to be the best QB of the bunch?

• Tua
    • Mac
    • Wilson

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Live look at Tua in this comparison right now: 

Idiocracy Test GIF - Idiocracy Test Genius - Discover ...

Clearly the best option right now. 

But I do have concerns with his ability to last, he is small and keeps getting concussions. Then he leads with his helmet into hits still. Someone is going to knock him out again. 

On 10/31/2022 at 12:13 PM, seminoles1 said:

Yesterday was only the 2nd time I thought Tua actually looked good, with the first time being a single quarter against the Ravens. Of course that quarter was arguably the greatest ever, so it holds some extra weight.

I'm still not a huge Tua believer, but he's still playing better than the other 2.

I like Tua. He fits like a glove in mcDaniel's system. Tough to say where he ranks as a QB, but if he becomes more consistent, then I think he'll be a franchise guy.

I've watched a lot of the Dolphins because I think they're the 2nd best team in the AFCE. Here's how I viewed his games:

New England: Blah. Not a great game. His stats looked good, but there were a bunch of dropped INTs and he really didn't push the ball down the field much. Typical game managing type of game with some ill advised passes.

Baltimore: He looked bad early on, then exploded in the 4th.

Buffalo- Efficient. Wasn't asked to do much, but did enough to win. Lots of three-and-outs against a battered and bruised Bills defense.

Cincy- Well, the first half was ok, but was heading toward his usual one or two TD game. 

Pittsburgh- Not very good. Lots of ill advised passes that should've been picked. Stats once again look pretty good- but his overall game was not.

Detriot- Did not watch this game, but putting up 450+ yards and 3 TDs is pretty telling. It was against a trash team, but still- seems like he had a VERY good game. Probably his most complete one as a pro. 

So, for a third year QB- he's taking the next step. He's in the perfect situation to maximize his skillset. I doubt he'll ever be a true top-5 QB, but I think he'll have really good stats and be the Dolphins QB for a while as long as the injury concerns don't pop up again.

Edited by WizeGuy

On 10/31/2022 at 6:45 PM, NYJets4716 said:

Clearly the best option right now. 

But I do have concerns with his ability to last, he is small and keeps getting concussions. Then he leads with his helmet into hits still. Someone is going to knock him out again. 

Keeps getting concussions? He’s had 1 concussion.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 6:16 AM, john305 said:

Keeps getting concussions? He’s had 1 concussion.

I thought it was two - the Buffalo concussion, then four days later with the Cincinnati concussion (unless you’re stating that was the same concussion…)

On 11/3/2022 at 2:11 PM, ET80 said:

I thought it was two - the Buffalo concussion, then four days later with the Cincinnati concussion (unless you’re stating that was the same concussion…)

Buffalo was ruled a back injury. I’m not a DR like all of twitter seems to be so I can’t dispute the Dolphins medical staff.

Tua has the edge, he is having a excellent season with the most dynamic WR tandem we have ever seen. 

But he is also a year ahead of the others in development, year 3 is usually when you see if a QB is going to sink or swim. First 2 years is usually when they have training wheels. 

Wilson is 20th in QBR right now which is a pretty solid QB stat.  Much better then PFF IMO.  He's at 48 something with league average being like 53.  Despite the NE meltdown and some low yardage totals he's been pretty average which is a solid 2nd year step from where he was last year.  Against BUF he did a much better job of getting the ball out quickly which he was fantastic when doing.  I've been pounding the table instead of running backwards and buying time which he's been doing well it hasn't lead to completions just more mistakes.  Against BUF he stepped up and used his legs to move the chains.  It was a huge part of the game to keep drives going.  So many of the good QBs do it and he has the ability clearly now he just needs to do it more consistently because it's a back breaker for defenses when the QB scrambles for a 1st after good coverage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Wilson is 20th in QBR right now which is a pretty solid QB stat.

Shaking Head No Nope GIF - Shaking Head No Nope Danny Devito - Discover &  Share GIFs

Very few people on this board and in general take that stat seriously in my experience unless they are trying to use to support their own argument or work for ESPN. 

Sorry, but if the statistic is black boxed, I'm out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Shaking Head No Nope GIF - Shaking Head No Nope Danny Devito - Discover &  Share GIFs

Very few people on this board and in general take that stat seriously in my experience unless they are trying to use to support their own argument or work for ESPN. 

Sorry, but if the statistic is black boxed, I'm out. 

You prefer PFF?  What is the best way to rank QBs?

30 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You prefer PFF?  What is the best way to rank QBs?

You mean like PFF grades? No, I find those to be a joke too often. 

EPA is gaining a lot of steam.  I don't quite understand the the math behind it, but I don't think it's black boxed either. Its worth noting that different places have different calculations though, I believe. Ben Baldwin has one that is pretty well regarded, but SIS and Tru Media also have their own I believe. The fact that it's actually done over multiple different establishments is a good thing given I have no idea how it is calculated. It gives it weight. 

There's probably not a single identifier of quality NFL play because there are also certain to be outliers, etc. So cross referencing multiple stats is probably the way to go if that's the way you want to do it.

However, if I had to pick a single traditional stat / metric that supports quality of play, its probably ANY / A.