"The Mike Shanahan regime began w/ the relentless pursuit of a rat"

Brian23

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/11/17/santana-moss-mike-shanahan-pursuit-of-a-rat/

I don't really mean to get into the Shanahan regime again, though I do think Moss pointing out how Mike wanted his hands in everything validates a lot of complaints. Anyway, I think it's interesting what he says about who the Rat was and that, apparently, it was a veteran on the defensive side.

Anyone have any ideas? Going through the list I can only think of 2 guys on the DSide (though maybe Albert too) that it coulda been, but it had to have been someone from day one who lasted till the end.

It was Hasslet. I forget who reported it or let it out years ago, maybe it was Cooley or someone on the junkies or something but I remember it coming out that it was Has.

If it was a player, I think it would have been Fletcher. He was there before Shanahan and was very friendly to the media and well respected by the media. No other veteran I can think of who it would have been except maybe Dhall or Orakpo.

Orakpo is the one that stands out to me, I think I could see him getting cosey with the media and calling some stuff out but he was hurt for so many of those years I'm not entirely sure why he'd be the one. I was also thinking Landry but he wasn't their that last year either.

24 minutes ago, Brian23 said:

Orakpo is the one that stands out to me, I think I could see him getting cosey with the media and calling some stuff out but he was hurt for so many of those years I'm not entirely sure why he'd be the one. I was also thinking Landry but he wasn't their that last year either.

Neither one of them were that cosey with the media IMO. I think they both had a rather confrontational reputation with the media because no matter how well they played the media always trashed them and claimed they didn’t do enough to help the team win.

London was extremely close to the media and basically a coach and would have great information for reporters. 

Maybe Orakpo, I'll admit it's possible. But maybe Bowen.

What about Josh Wilson?
What about Jarvis Jenkins?
What about Perry Riley?

Just throwing out names. There were a ton of guys who could have felt affected by all of this. Could it have been Kerrigan or Fletcher? It could have been Trent Williams, Hall or Doughty?

If you're taking down a coaching regime, you have to feel slighted. They have to be negatively affecting your career somehow.

All said and done, the Shanahan's brought transition and should have avoided the tempatation to trade up, as many said before the draft. Collect your draft picks and only trade up when you have extra ammunition to make it happen. This team would be a playoff team if they had kept taking chances on mid-round QBs, but many argued (probably me) that getting an elite QB is more substantive.

I still say Fletcher makes the most sense. Team captain, coach on the field, probably didn’t agree with the coaches on a lot. Talked to media constantly and well respected by them. Probably didn’t agree with how Mcnabb was treated. I could go on and on. All signs point to him.

29 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

Nothing's impossible, but the article stated that Fletcher implored the team to keep things in-house and handle it professionally. some people don't practice what they preach, but it sounds like he was preaching "muzzle it".

Yeah, the article states that but we all know they’re not always the gospel. Pretty sure Fletch also ripped Shanahan and Has once he retired also on NFLN.

4 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

Big difference between retired and on a team. 

Understood, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t say things “off the record,” most stars do when they’re upset. Also a big difference sometimes between “reportedly” and what actually happened. There’s no proof that he did or didn’t.

I personally don’t think Fletcher has that in his character. It looks like a few of people. 

Brian Orakpo - Never liked switching to the 3-4 and stated he would rather be in the dirt. 

Albert Haynesworth - Had to pass a conditioning test and is still disgruntled about the organization today. 

Phillip Daniels - A guy being asked to play a down lineman in a 3-4, possibly not happy of eating blockers. 

Laron Landry - A head case to start. Likely jacked on roids and lashing out being asked to play FS instead of SS. 

Carlos Rogers - I knew he was not happy with his playing time considering Phil Buchanan and Fred Smoot were brought in. DeAngelo Hall was also here, so that could have given him motive. 

5 minutes ago, mike23md said:

I personally don’t think Fletcher has that in his character. It looks like a few of people. 

Brian Orakpo - Never liked switching to the 3-4 and stated he would rather be in the dirt. 

Albert Haynesworth - Had to pass a conditioning test and is still disgruntled about the organization today. 

Phillip Daniels - A guy being asked to play a down lineman in a 3-4, possibly not happy of eating blockers. 

Laron Landry - A head case to start. Likely jacked on roids and lashing out being asked to play FS instead of SS. 

Carlos Rogers - I knew he was not happy with his playing time considering Phil Buchanan and Fred Smoot were brought in. DeAngelo Hall was also here, so that could have given him motive. 

Orakpo possibly but I still don’t think he talked to media much but I guess now that I think of it he did more than I remembered at first, just not as much as fletcher or hall.

Haynesworth & Rodger’s probably did in 2010 but were gone after that boy did we miss Rogers when he left!

Landry didn’t talk to the media at all. He had been playing FS since Sean died, well before Shanahan was hired, they actually moved him back to SS in 2011 - his natural position - when they signed Atogwe.

Archived