Special Teams and Defence

hornbybrown

20 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

The lack of blitzing has driven me crazy from Day 1.  We have "dudes" that can take some pressure off of Garrett, and Clowney.  JOK, Delpit, Takitaki, Walker, are all guys we should be dialing up for an occasional blitz.  I think I saw one (i'm sure there were more)Delpit is a guy that should be played closer to the LOS, and NOT at deep safety. It's  always the square peg in the round hole with these guys, and not playing to people's strengths.

We blitzed twice. Both times we played zone in behind it and there were glaring holes in the intermediate middle of the field.

This dude is awful. Has no balls. Why are you so afraid to play man coverage when there are teams with 1/2 the talent that we have that'll do it?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

The lack of blitzing has driven me crazy from Day 1.  We have "dudes" that can take some pressure off of Garrett, and Clowney.  JOK, Delpit, Takitaki, Walker, are all guys we should be dialing up for an occasional blitz.  I think I saw one (i'm sure there were more)Delpit is a guy that should be played closer to the LOS, and NOT at deep safety. It's  always the square peg in the round hole with these guys, and not playing to people's strengths.

Yeah having guys like Myles doesn’t mean you don’t blitz, it means you should be able to absolutely wreck things when you do blitz.

But yeah, square leg round hole forever 

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

We blitzed twice. Both times we played zone in behind it and there were glaring holes in the intermediate middle of the field.

This dude is awful. Has no balls. Why are you so afraid to play man coverage when there are teams with 1/2 the talent that we have that'll do it?

With those corners and their passing game the Jets WR’s should be able to smell our DB’s breath before every snap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

With those corners and their passing game the Jets WR’s should be able to smell our DB’s breath before every snap.

Yep. Zone is also inherently harder to play than man. You can concept zones apart pretty easily. If you want to avoid mental errors, play Cover 2 Man or Cover 4. Why are we running Cover 3 with a single high safety vs. 2x2 spread looks?

The scheme just sucks, even if it weren't for the breakdowns. I don't think there was a breakdown on the GL wide open TD. That's what you concede in a vanilla zone defense. It's why nobody plays zone inside the 20. Except for this moron apparently.

• Like 2

My thing also is, IS Woods talking to his Staff.....there is some talent there....Tarver has been a DC at the college and NFL level....Chris Kiffen has been interviewed for DC jobs the last 2 years.....Brandon Lynch is an up and coming start in the coaching rankings I think....It seems like our Defensive coaches are good at Teaching and Developing talent...but may not be as strong at Scheming......

I almost think bringing in Mike Zimmer as a Sr. Consultant to help Woods on that side of the ball is not a bad idea....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yep. Zone is also inherently harder to play than man. You can concept zones apart pretty easily. If you want to avoid mental errors, play Cover 2 Man or Cover 4. Why are we running Cover 3 with a single high safety vs. 2x2 spread looks?

The scheme just sucks, even if it weren't for the breakdowns. I don't think there was a breakdown on the GL wide open TD. That's what you concede in a vanilla zone defense. It's why nobody plays zone inside the 20. Except for this moron apparently.

IMO the time to play zone in the Red Zone is with exotic pressure looks, most of which you're showing man or even Cover 0 and then are playing a Cover 2 variation to trap throws to #1 or underneath routes for a pick/shutting down a quick out from a slot or TE. Since cover 2 is weak in the seams, it doesn't matter because the field is already shrunk with a "12th defender safety" being the back of the endzone.

46 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO the time to play zone in the Red Zone is with exotic pressure looks, most of which you're showing man or even Cover 0 and then are playing a Cover 2 variation to trap throws to #1 or underneath routes for a pick/shutting down a quick out from a slot or TE. Since cover 2 is weak in the seams, it doesn't matter because the field is already shrunk with a "12th defender safety" being the back of the endzone.

Zone, or any defense really, only works when you manage to generate decent pressure and force quick decisions.

When they are running max protects and keeping guys in for chips and such, you need to start amping up the pressure because a vet QB is gonna find holes in a zone if you give them 4-5 seconds.

1 hour ago, DaWg_LB. said:

My thing also is, IS Woods talking to his Staff.....there is some talent there....Tarver has been a DC at the college and NFL level....Chris Kiffen has been interviewed for DC jobs the last 2 years.....Brandon Lynch is an up and coming start in the coaching rankings I think....It seems like our Defensive coaches are good at Teaching and Developing talent...but may not be as strong at Scheming......

I almost think bringing in Mike Zimmer as a Sr. Consultant to help Woods on that side of the ball is not a bad idea....

As soon as you do this it’s pretty much over for the DC. Might as well make zimmer the Dc. I remember when the titans did this when they had Horton as DC and they brung in lebeau as SR assistant. Lebeau basically had control of the defense. 

• Like 1

Did they confirm what the call was on that play?

If it was cover-2 or cover-3 Ward has the flat and played it correctly and Delpitt ****ed up, but that would be a pretty terrible play-call given the game state. 

If it was cover-4 Ward played it short and didnt go into his zone and blew the play. 

Given history you have to give Ward the benefit of the doubt given that he's a total stud and Delpitt has proven nothing and our  DC seems like a clown, but who knows. 

3 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

As soon as you do this it’s pretty much over for the DC. Might as well make zimmer the Dc. I remember when the titans did this when they had Horton as DC and they brung in lebeau as SR assistant. Lebeau basically had control of the defense. 

Aren’t we more or less at that point already? This isn’t about helping Woods tbh, it’s about helping the defense.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Aren’t we more or less at that point already? This isn’t about helping Woods tbh, it’s about helping the defense.

We should be. But idk if stefanski has the balls to make a move during the season. Also stefanski made it pretty clear when he was hired that he would have minorities on his staff. So firing the only black coordinator on his staff doesn’t seem likely. 

9 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Did they confirm what the call was on that play?

If it was cover-2 or cover-3 Ward has the flat and played it correctly and Delpitt ****ed up, but that would be a pretty terrible play-call given the game state. 

If it was cover-4 Ward played it short and didnt go into his zone and blew the play. 

In Cover 3, the Corner still has the deep thirds of the field between the top of the numbers and the sidelines whereas the safety (1 high) would have the center of the field to the hash on both sides.

Cover+3+2.jpg?format=750w

In Cover 4, the Corner still has the deep thirds of the field between the bottom of  the numbers and the sideline, whereas each safety (2 high) would have the hash to center of the field.

cover-4-zone.png

If it's 3 or 4 Ward messed up.

9 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Given history you have to give Ward the benefit of the doubt given that he's a total stud and Delpitt has proven nothing and our  DC seems like a clown, but who knows. 

Absolutely agree

9 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We should be. But idk if stefanski has the balls to make a move during the season. Also stefanski made it pretty clear when he was hired that he would have minorities on his staff. So firing the only black coordinator on his staff doesn’t seem likely. 

I think all that stuff is important, but the goal is to win here. If one particular coach is crapping the bed, he’s gotta go regardless of skin color.