Special Teams and Defence

hornbybrown

19 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

As soon as you do this it’s pretty much over for the DC. Might as well make zimmer the Dc. I remember when the titans did this when they had Horton as DC and they brung in lebeau as SR assistant. Lebeau basically had control of the defense. 

Definitely a concern.....but if done properly, then I feel it can be done. Bringing him in strictly as a resource perhaps, or do you consider that Slope just too slippery? 

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'm betting that they were playing Quarters which is beyond stupid as you're relying on both reading the #2 receiver and typically you only use it for a lot of switch route concepts/to generate turnovers:

Quarters-Coverage-2-1.png

Between what was said in the Delpit and Ward press conferences, Ward said they had a "dual call" and he was playing Cover 2 with his responsibility being the cloud/flat. Delpit of course called it a "miscommunication."

So my assumption is that both Quarters/Cover 4 and Cover 2 were called, it was up to the players on the field to interpret the offensive formation to know which coverage to play, and Ward and Delpit/the rest of the secondary were playing different coverages because they interpreted the play call/offensive formation differently.

Edited by kayelcio
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

In Cover 3, the Corner still has the deep thirds of the field between the top of the numbers and the sidelines whereas the safety (1 high) would have the center of the field to the hash on both sides.

Cover+3+2.jpg?format=750w

In Cover 4, the Corner still has the deep thirds of the field between the bottom of  the numbers and the sideline, whereas each safety (2 high) would have the hash to center of the field.

cover-4-zone.png

If it's 3 or 4 Ward messed up.

Absolutely agree

TY for chart. Been outta the game too long, I thought the corner had the short in the cover-3 and the safeties had 2 of the deep thirds. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

No problem. Essentially it’s the same coverage but 3 is 1 safety 4 is 2 safeties.

Back in college I volunteered to coach a powderpuff football tournament. 

I was in charge of the med school sorority which had like 30 members, most sororities had like 200+ so we were at a talent disadvantage. 

I spent the entirety of our 1-hour practice coaching how to run a cover 2 defense. Of the 16 teams in the tourney, 15 ran man coverage, and my team ran cover 2. Every QB was confused why the receiver was wide open running past the corner and would throw it. 

Fortunately we had one super tall, rangey woman who ran marathons. I put her at safety. She was pick-6 city and scored almost all of our touchdowns housing ducks thrown over the corner into her zone. Watching her break on the passes in the air was a thing of beauty. 

Long story short we won the title, biggest upset since Leister City taking down the EPL, and I became a lifelong truther of the cover-2 defense. 

• Like 2

I'm willing to bet we started that series in Cover 2 Match. If #2 goes out, CB takes him and S locks on #1. If both go vert, both S and CB match.

Seems to me that's what Ward thought we were in. Delpit never got over the top. Which, in any coverage, Delpit shouldn't be sitting in the middle of the freaking field. For as dumb as Woods is, I highly doubt he was playing Cover 3 in that situation. That means, at the very least, Delpit should have been between the hashes and numbers to his side. He was chilling in the middle of the field pretty much.

Whoever the player was at fault, I still blame the coaches for not having their guys prepared. I also blame the coaches for putting guys out there that didn't know what they were supposed to do. Lastly, I blame the coach for not just running 2-man under. Get rid of any guessing. Get out of zone if you're afraid of 1-play TD's and play man with a safety over top of each side.

Joe Woods is an idiot and needs to go.

• Like 1

All this fancy talk of the defensive play that was called, and the end, if you are the safety, is there really a universe where you are letting a receiver run past you in that situation? I think we as fans have tried to over analyze what happened there when the blown assignment was obvious. Now, yes, for many other reasons over the course of that game, also fire Joe woods out of a cannon somewhere far away. The way they let Flacco pick a part was insane.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

All this fancy talk of the defensive play that was called, and the end, if you are the safety, is there really a universe where you are letting a receiver run past you in that situation? I think we as fans have tried to over analyze what happened there when the blown assignment was obvious. Now, yes, for many other reasons over the course of that game, also fire Joe woods out of a cannon somewhere far away. The way they let Flacco pick a part was insane.

“The guy behind me will pick him up” - our FS 

• Like 8

I’m ready for a change on ST.

I don’t blame the PAT miss on the coach (or anyone really) it’s a tricky place to kick.  But another week, another slew of sloppy nonsense.  

the 12 men on the field call as well as bringing a kick out of the end zone and getting tackled at like the 10 simply can’t happen.  In a vacuum that’s not fireable stuff, but it just keeps adding to the list of sloppy nonsense we’ve seen all season 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m ready for a change on ST.

I don’t blame the PAT miss on the coach (or anyone really) it’s a tricky place to kick.  But another week, another slew of sloppy nonsense.  

the 12 men on the field call as well as bringing a kick out of the end zone and getting tackled at like the 10 simply can’t happen.  In a vacuum that’s not fireable stuff, but it just keeps adding to the list of sloppy nonsense we’ve seen all season 

I mean, we also got a punt partially blocked last night. That almost led to a FG (they missed) directly.

• Like 1