Special Teams and Defence

hornbybrown

• 1 month later...

Most analysts believe the key to a strong defense is to have the best players in the middle like DT, DT, MLB, and both S.  The Browns obviously do not believe in this theory as Berry purports speed as key factor on defense.  Yes having speed and quality DE is important  as well as CB who can tackle and defend but bottom line is majority of plays are up the middle.  Stopping the run is important.  In todays passing league having defensive backs who can cover is obviously important to success.  My take is our defense went bad when we lost Walker MLB and both safeties demonstrated their ineffective tackling and defending skills.  Last game Johnson and Delpit played well which is paramount to success.   What do you think?

15 minutes ago, #32 said:

Most analysts believe the key to a strong defense is to have the best players in the middle like DT, DT, MLB, and both S.  The Browns obviously do not believe in this theory as Berry purports speed as key factor on defense.  Yes having speed and quality DE is important  as well as CB who can tackle and defend but bottom line is majority of plays are up the middle.  Stopping the run is important.  In todays passing league having defensive backs who can cover is obviously important to success.  My take is our defense went bad when we lost Walker MLB and both safeties demonstrated their ineffective tackling and defending skills.  Last game Johnson and Delpit played well which is paramount to success.   What do you think?

We only have 2 Corners capable of playing zone in Newsome and Emerson. If we keep Joe Woods, I don’t understand why we paid Ward what we did.

I’m philosophically okay with Woods scheme if he had guys who could force turnovers, communicate, and were physical. We don’t have any of that.

Teams are playing a crap ton of Tampa 2, so the idea we want to implement isn’t bad. There was just a total breakdown in personnel acquisition and what the coaches want.

If we can acquire another WR in free agency, I’m fine with adding more defensive talent.

Edited by candyman93

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We only have 2 Corners capable of playing zone in Newsome and Emerson. If we keep Joe Woods, I don’t understand why we paid Ward what we did.

I’m philosophically okay with Woods scheme if he had guys who could force turnovers, communicate, and were physical. We don’t have any of that.

Teams are playing a crap ton of Tampa 2, so the idea we want to implement isn’t bad. There was just a total breakdown in personnel acquisition and what the coaches want.

If we can acquire another WR in free agency, I’m fine with adding more defensive talent.

IMO AJ Green is a rock solid zone nickel guy as well.

The safeties we have are not guys set up to be “high safeties” either as we have 2 box guys/hybrids.

We also do not have the linebackers to play zone outside of JOK as an apex, who Woods has used as a SAM linebacker this year.

Taki actually isn’t a terrible SAM/Edge guy and I’ve felt that way for a couple years. He’s not necessarily a starter but he’s good as far as depth goes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

IMO AJ Green is a rock solid zone nickel guy as well.

yes, I hope we can keep him

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

The safeties we have are not guys set up to be “high safeties” either as we have 2 box guys/hybrids.

yep, need a true “centerfielder”

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

We also do not have the linebackers to play zone outside of JOK as an apex, who Woods has used as a SAM linebacker this year.

Taki actually isn’t a terrible SAM/Edge guy and I’ve felt that way for a couple years. He’s not necessarily a starter but he’s good as far as depth goes.

Takitaki played mike last game and looked great.  I’d like to see more.  He’s actually got some size to him.

• Like 1