Week 3 GDT: San Francisco 49ers at Denver Broncos

TecmoSuperJoe

Sorry @J-ALL-DAY but I had to go rogue. I wanted to get people's early thoughts on what the 49ers should do at runningback. Gumbo gone for the season, and I'm still wondering who is going to be that difference maker going forward. 

Alas, it's time once again to square up (down?) against Russell Wicket. Luckily, Nathanial Hackett is in his pocket, and he's even worse than his pops!!! 49ers can win this game. Hopefully, since it's the NBC spotlight matchup. 

• Like 1

I really, really liked the RB usage in this game against Seattle. 18 Wilson  / 14 TDP / 4 for Deebo is really nice, especially if you start using Deebo out of the backfield as a receiver. Obviously we won't get 35+ carries every game, but that's usually Shanny's goal. 

Denver has been pretty underwhelming in two games so far against opponents I wouldn't classify as beastly. Adjusting to the air in Denver is always a question, and I wonder if Jimmy does deal with a little arm fatigue throughout the game (that's not a joke lol), but I do think that Jimmy probably stabilized our floor. If he can be efficient and keep the ball moving somewhat,  that keeps the defense fresh and I like the changes to come out of this game with a win. 

• Like 5

No worries @TecmoSuperJoe, anyone can create these GDTs. 

I feel like our defense is going to play very well once again and that will give us a chance. But I will forever be scarred by Wilson so I am not totally confident in a win lol. 

Surtain and Jeudy left the game today so that's something to pay attention to this week. The extra day should give them a better chance to play but no guarantee. 

Kittle is going to be needed for this game I think. They have good corners but Kittle should have his opportunities. 

SF 23

Den 16

• Like 2

The deep passing game has to be involved in this. I don't care that Jimmy sucks at it. It has to be a part of the game so that we can keep the run game open. If Jimmy doesn't push the ball down field just enough to make teams respect it, they start pinching with 8 in the box which basically means that Deebo needs to go super hero mode again. The team had 189 yards rushing against seattle and like 110 yards of that came in the two drives before Lance got hurt and then 80 for the rest of the game. 

If this team doesn't run effectively, it will be very inconsistent. 

Getting Kittle back will be huge for that as well. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, adamq said:

Not very confident about this one. We don't have much size up front, and Gordon/Williams have been on a tear. I think Ward and some help can handle Sutton though, so Jeudy's status is going to be a big factor

Our run defense has been very good thus far. Kinlaw's impact may not have shown up in the stat sheet in the first two weeks, but he's been doing well handling double teams and our backers have been flying around to the ball. The Broncos run game is very good so I don't expect to completely shut them down, but I think we should be fine. I'm more so worried about our offense getting it going consistently against their defense. 

Kittle needs to play this week and if he does, I think we should have enough to win. It won't be easy, as it NEVER is with Wilson, but our defense this season is on another level. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Favored on the road against Russell Wilson? Look, I know we are probably the better team and have a lot of talent, but I am never going to be confident facing that midget lol. 

Detroit +7 seems intriguing though. 

That line shifted in a hurry. I looked last night and saw an opening line of Denver -1.5 

• Like 1

This is definitely a measuring stick game for both teams, but I feel more confident in this game than I have at any point since the schedule was released. 

My hope was that we could go into the week 7 matchup with the Chiefs with a 4-2 record at worst. If we can take down the Broncos this week, I think we have a legit shot to go into the Chiefs game 5-1.