Week 3 GDT: San Francisco 49ers at Denver Broncos

TecmoSuperJoe

9 hours ago, N4L said:

Lombardi is a fraud. The man is good with spreadsheets but I dont think he knows ball. 

Look at this nonsense

"high robber spot"

A robber is literally in the box and their job it is to freelance and cause havoc. They dont have specific coverage responsibilities. You would never be a robber as a "high safety". 

I wouldnt expect everyone here to know that, but we are fans, not people who literally cover the team 24/7 for a living. 

Also - his love affair for Jimmy is extremely weird.

LOL a high robber spot 

Kevin Laugh GIFs | Tenor

That's legitimately something I learned playing Madden

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

LOL a high robber spot 

Kevin Laugh GIFs | Tenor

That's legitimately something I learned playing Madden

Like, mixing up robbers and rats and all of the different kind of hole defenders is one thing. Syntax and semantics yada yada yada. But not knowing that all middle of the field players aren't named the same thing is not so hot for someone that not only does that for a living, but claims expertise. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Like, mixing up robbers and rats and all of the different kind of hole defenders is one thing. Syntax and semantics yada yada yada. But not knowing that all middle of the field players aren't named the same thing is not so hot for someone that not only does that for a living, but claims expertise. 

But maybe the advanced stats just didn't let him know who those positions were?? Just wait until he gets his hands on the "high robber" stats, and then I bet the man will become an expert!!!!!!

He really has no personality, is conceited as hell and can't break the game down without looking at advanced stats. Seriously, how is this man NOT the worst???

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@Broncofanprediction for the game? And against the odds? 

If Lance was playing you would have a great shot of killing our D.   Our ILB’s pass cover is very poor and run support even worse.  If we get Jewell back it helps but not against elite speed running QB.   Hurts, Lance & Lamar would feast.   Without Lance and your top 2 RB’s , the run game with Deebo and Kittle receiving / Deebo in short area is how you attack it.    Before ppl say JimmyG improves the pass game over Lance - that’s our strength.   JimmyG helps you win more reg season games where the run game / ILB’s aren’t the obv target.  

As for the pass game - besides our secondary, we can generate pressure both inside and out.   I don’t expect Trent Williams will repeat week 1 (where his footwork apparently tipped the D on run/pass), but McGlinchey / IOL is where the pressure (or not) will come.   Not just Randy Gregory but Dre’mont Jones.    Browning & Cooper are the other 2 names besides Chubb.    It seems like Patrick Surtain Jr. will play then he takes out who he’s covering (DK went 4-35 1H IIRC but Evero had them playing off coverage.   DK went 1-13 in 2H and HOU did nothing).   If Kittle & Deebo aren’t your highest volume guys and you hear the pass rushers name a lot - that’s likely DEN D win.   If the big 2  thrive and you hear little about our pass rushers then SF O gets the edge.  

On the flip side when DEN O gets the ball - if we don’t have Jeudy and Hamler that makes it a LOT easier to defend.    Even 1 of those 2 back then D’s can’t just try to take out Sutton.    Our run game has been very productive.   Javonte Williams is an absolute animal. The backup RT & G have played surprisingly well after losing Meinerz and Turner getting into game shape.   I’d prefer Turner in there though vs. Bosa obv.   The O leads the league in yards / drive.  Play calling in the RZ and penalties are the only reasons so far it’s not translated to huge point totals (plus unicorn of 2 fumbles at 1  yard line on week 1 MNF).   Russ hasn’t been running - he’s been extending plays and staying in the pocket.  This is good for us long-term but obv your pass rush success is another pivotal factor. 

So it’s a toss up on both sides of the ball  -  and depends a lot on who’s playing (or not).   4 intangibles to consider:  

1.  Our ST have been dreadful.  No TO but meh coverage / blocking.   No idea where you guys are at. 

2.  Coaching gap - I’ve been hard on Kyle Shanahan’s game management (while being a top 5 scheme designer and pre-game planner) as too conservative.    But his problems  pale in comparison to Nathaniel Hackett.   Dude has literally cost us 7+Pts each game with disastrous game management / penalties / play calling that’s been too cute in RZ and key 3rd down moments. 

Everyone saw MNF week 1.  Last week was literally no better for Hackett: 

-He called a 3rd and 1 TE option with guy who had 1 career carry - in college.   Then couldn’t decide on 4th and 2 at 37 what to - time count violation negated a made 55-yarder.   Punt instead of FG. 

-Also failed to use a TO with 2 in the pocket at 4th and goal at 1 yd line in the 2Q with 30 secs left.   Delay of game, FG.   Guess he thought he’d need them for those last 30 secs.  

-Had to burn a TO in the 2H on 4th down because we didn’t have a punt returner on the field.    

-On almost every play, the play call didn't come into the huddle until there were 20 sec or less.  In a huddle based O, that's awful.   That delay is a big reason that led to our 2 1-yard line fumbles/stuffed on Week 1 MNF.  It did not improve.   Things got so bad the crowd started chanting down the play clock so as to avoid more delay-of-game penalties - but that also let the D know when to get off the snap as the clock often was a 0-2 secs left when the play finally started.  

-And like week 1 we had 12+ penalties.    It’s that bad.    

So even though in-game is Kyle S’s weakest area (excellent everywhere else) - hard to think SF doesn’t have an edge.  

3.  Altitude - the depth / injuries you have will matter - because playing in DEN prevents teams from playing the normal snaps they’re used to in other venues.  If it’s late and the TOP isn’t tilted heavily to SF then the units do wear down.   We’ve sucked at home the last 2-3 years because our O sucked and couldn’t keep the D off the field, which negated this advantage.  That’s no longer the case so this should be back in our favor.  

4.  TO’s - the ultimate equalizer / decider.  Teams that go +1 win 65+ percent of games    2+ 90 percent, 3+ 96 percent.  One key change for our D - DC Evero is promoting ball hawking.  We’ve forced 5 fumbles but only recovered 1.    More to highlight how well JimmyG and RussW protect the ball will likely decide this.   

If Kittle isn’t ok that’s a massive problem on O for you.   If he is you can leverage our ILB weakness both with his elite run-blocking and big play catch-and-run ability.  On the flip side Jeudy / Hamler & Surtain Jr. / DJ Jones are key ppl.   I’d say it’s 27-24 game if Kittle / Jeudy are  ok.   More like 20-17 if they aren’t.   Injury report will be massive.   

Sorry if that didn’t help - but that’s as complete a picture I can give as to why it’s a toss up and why the injury report matters so much.   

It’s  too bad Hackett decided to rest out starters for the entire preseason with a new scheme and then went all-time worst game management debut EVER and you guys played in a biblical monsoon - it should be a battle of 2-0 teams and seeing who’s legit.   Instead the winner is relieved and the loser has a much tougher road to realize their playoff aspirations.   But either way it should be a helluva game.   Hopefully it’s not decided by brain dead coaching and just better play on the field.   I can live with either result then. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 11

12 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Feels some tension between Jimmy and Kyle with Jimmy's quotes this week about wanting to throw the ball down field. 

I mean let's be honest, does anyone REALLY think Shanny would not prefer Jimmy to go deep more? Jimmy simply will not take those shots even when they are there to be taken.

But hey, if Jimmy wants to just air it out this year? I'm all for it! 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean let's be honest, does anyone REALLY think Shanny would not prefer Jimmy to go deep more? Jimmy simply will not take those shots even when they are there to be taken.

But hey, if Jimmy wants to just air it out this year? I'm all for it! 

Lol, im just waiting for Jimmy to start taking those shots and then throwing interceptions.