Week 3 GDT: San Francisco 49ers at Denver Broncos

TecmoSuperJoe

One thing is clear though, I don't think Shanny is all that big of a fan of Jimmy and vice versa is probably true as well. It's one of those working relationships where they have had a good amount of success together so it works but neither likes the other all too much. 

Get a Super Bowl this season and nothing else matters! 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

One thing is clear though, I don't think Shanny is all that big of a fan of Jimmy and vice versa is probably true as well. It's one of those working relationships where they have had a good amount of success together so it works but neither likes the other all too much. 

Get a Super Bowl this season and nothing else matters! 

Shanny isn't a fan of anyone at the position. 

Except Kirk lol 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Shanny isn't a fan of anyone at the position. 

Except Kirk lol 

Honestly, Kirk didn't start enough games under Shanny for him to feel the same wrath the rest of the QBs have felt lol. Trust me, Shanny would have soured and hated Kirk if he was his QB as well lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean let's be honest, does anyone REALLY think Shanny would not prefer Jimmy to go deep more? Jimmy simply will not take those shots even when they are there to be taken.

But hey, if Jimmy wants to just air it out this year? I'm all for it! 

I think Kyle wouldn't mind, but that would require Kyle to also understand the risk associated with it and he would have to concede a little on his disgust for turnovers. We all know he wont do that and will only become more frustrated. I think Jimmy's willingness to be a gunslinger has likely been squelched out by Kyle along with a deterioration in Jimmy's skillset.

1 minute ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I think Kyle wouldn't mind, but that would require Kyle to also understand the risk associated with it and he would have to concede a little on his disgust for turnovers. We all know he wont do that and will only become more frustrated. I think Jimmy's willingness to be a gunslinger has likely been squelched out by Kyle along with a deterioration in Jimmy's skillset.

Even when Jimmy was a gunslinger in 2017, it wasn't on deep throws. That's just not him. There are options to go deep on certain downs and Jimmy will almost always turn it down or not even look for the deep shot. Just can't play that style of offense in 2022. Jimmy threw four deep balls by my count last game. One was a great throw to Aiyuk that was dropped, another was a bad throw on 4th and 9 that had no shot and then he was short on two others that drew DPI. So three of the four passes were either good or led to a positive play. That's why it is so maddening that he refused to push the ball down the field. Like you don't even have to be accurate to have success lol. The reward often times on those throws far exceeds the risk. Most DBs are simply bad at playing the ball. Just freaking take a minimum of four to five shots every game and see what happens. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Even when Jimmy was a gunslinger in 2017, it wasn't on deep throws. That's just not him. There are options to go deep on certain downs and Jimmy will almost always turn it down or not even look for the deep shot. Just can't play that style of offense in 2022. Jimmy threw four deep balls by my count last game. One was a great throw to Aiyuk that was dropped, another was a bad throw on 4th and 9 that had no shot and then he was short on two others that drew DPI. So three of the four passes were either good or led to a positive play. That's why it is so maddening that he refused to push the ball down the field. Like you don't even have to be accurate to have success lol. The reward often times on those throws far exceeds the risk. Most DBs are simply bad at playing the ball. Just freaking take a minimum of four to five shots every game and see what happens. 

Jimmy’s also darn good at everything out of deep shots. Before the league got that understanding about him and he got a ton of single high coverages in 2017, he cut them to smithereens when given a chance. PFF grade is one of those kludgy numbers that attempt to aggregate other skills, but in 2017 Jimmy was legit one of the best in the NFL down the stretch, carrying a not so great roster to large improvement. Since 2017, he’s gotten some coverages that other QBs just will never see. A ton of some crazy aggressive quarters and two high and two high invert coverages where the nominal safeties rob the areas in the intermediate middle of the field that Jimmy peppers relentlessly. Linebackers flying more aggressively to get to those spots. It’s kind of bananas what teams familiar with Jimmy do scheme-wise and how badly Jimmy G can hurt teams that don’t change their ways. That being said, anti-Jimmy coverage tendencies often leave very valuable areas of the field very lightly guarded and a Jimmy (or Jimmy/Shanny/whoever else) team that goes against tendency more aggressively as an exploitative measure might be good. Who knows. You must believe in spring and love. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Forge said:

One thing is clear though, I don't think Shanny is all that big of a fan of Jimmy

Well, he better brace himself. 

Jimmy is already verging on peak Jimmy Jesus status as it is right now....

Imagine if he manages to vanquish Russell Wilson on SNF a week after demolishing the Seahawks off the bench...

HOLY SMOKES.

Jimmy will be in full-on Beatle Mania Status not only in the Bay Area but in the Locker room as well.  (not to mention the negative narrative on Jimmy G within the national media is already starting to shift as well)

By keeping Jimmy around, Lynch and Shanahan may have created a monster. 

Edited by Herodreamer79

10 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Well, he better brace himself. 

Jimmy is already verging on peak Jimmy Jesus status as it is right now....

Imagine if he manages to vanquish Russell Wilson on SNF a week after demolishing the Seahawks off the bench...

HOLY SMOKES.

Jimmy will be in full-on Beatle Mania Status not only in the Bay Area but in the Locker room as well.  (not to mention the negative narrative on Jimmy G within the national media is already starting to shift as well)

By keeping Jimmy around, Lynch and Shanahan may have created a monster. 

It really does have a jettisoned hero feel to it. The prodigal Son returns. Its gross, but it does have that feel. All these people who hated him now clamor for him.

1 hour ago, clarkfn2284 said:

It really does have a jettisoned hero feel to it. The prodigal Son returns. Its gross, but it does have that feel. All these people who hated him now clamor for him.

At this point, it does, but he still has to win a Superbowl for the narrative to stick through the offseason and next year.  

11 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

At this point, it does, but he still has to win a Superbowl for the narrative to stick through the offseason and next year.  

Absolutely. For him, I hope he has success. I like Jimmy and feel like as a teammate etc he is pretty admirable, which explains why people are unwavering in their support of him on the team. The storyline should be juicy as the year progresses either way. At the end of the day if he can get the team into a similar spot as last season the media will hype him up and he will get a look somewhere else.

• Like 1

About the Jimmy/Kyle recent comments "drama"...

Some folks are way overanalyzing it. Kinfolk, people have a tendency to just say things, either to fill the dead space, nervousness etc.

Jimmy probably didn't expect to have media time like this. Wasn't prepared and just made an off the cuff comment. Pushing the ball down the field isn't a shot at Shanahan. It's just a comment that someone made because they were just talking to talk. You go answer 20 questions with boiler plate answers. You are bound to say something "controversial".

• Like 3

"Jimmy is wearing a flat brim hat to practice today...is he mocking Kyle?"

"Shanahan was reportedly eating Subway on Tuesday. Was that a slight at his QB?"

"They hate each other. Passive-aggressive cold war confirmed!!!"

Funny-139.gif

Seriously though, come on ya'll. Sometimes reading some of the comments here I get the gist that certain folks WANT Kyle and Jimmy to be at each other's throats. But why??? It's weird :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1