Week 3: Packers @ Tampa Bay Bucs - PG: Packers WIN 14-12, Move to 2-1!

FAH1223

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

This is going to be a defensive slug fest.  At least it should be.

Julio is dinged already, who would have guessed.  Godwin is hobbled.  Evans in out.  We now the Buccs o-line is hurting to begin with.  But that defense....

Our o-line is getting better with Jenkins back, but it still isn't good.  Finding our way on offense.  And our defense?  Still a work in progress.

If I were to guess....we will need to play a different defense to win.  Heavier front.  And I feel like we should show a few middle blitzes to Brady.

Offensively, I'm not sure how we score 17.  Maybe we can get to 13.  

I think for GB to win on Sunday they will have to push the ball down the field and it likely would need to be Watson and Doubs doing that heavy lifting.

And that’s my worry, because it’s obvious Rodgers doesn’t trust them. I mean Doubs is just WR screen guy and Watson is jet sweep guy.

These guys need to run routes and get targeted on said routes.

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The 4:25 EST kick-off helps with the heat. High is only going to be 88 and sun sets at 7:18. I'd guess it will be about 80 in the second half and dropping. That is very doable compared to Wisconsin. The 1:00 EST game is killer for northern teams early in the season. 

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Since they play later in the season, wouldn't it make sense to suspend Evans and Lattimore for their second match-up?

Their defense is legit.  And we don't play well in the heat, historically.  I think this one looks like a struggle.  

Already explained this one, above. Relax, they've played the Cowboys (Dak was just awful) and the Saints and Winston was the gift that kept on giving. 

They are pretty beat up as well. 

We have not played well in the first two games, but we'll continue to get better and think this game must see TV. 

Edited by Old Guy

27 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I think for GB to win on Sunday they will have to push the ball down the field and it likely would need to be Watson and Doubs doing that heavy lifting.

And that’s my worry, because it’s obvious Rodgers doesn’t trust them. I mean Doubs is just WR screen guy and Watson is jet sweep guy.

These guys need to run routes and get targeted on said routes.

If Rodgers needs to push it downfield, in a true pocket fashion, we lose.  It doesn't matter who the WR's are.  Our line will not hold up.

We can go downfield on play action and bootlegs.  But if he has to sit back there 35 times in the pocket, the game is over.

• Like 2

I'd expect Evans to lose his appeal quickly and miss the game. Sounds like Julio will be hard pressed to play too, and who knows with Godwin. No surprise he's already dealing with other leg issues(hamstring) returning so soon after his ACL injury. Even if he plays, I wouldn't expect him to be very productive as there's no way he's close to 100% back to his pre-acl tear form. Bucs OL is also an issue with the injuries up front + the retirement of Marpet. Suddenly, the matchup looks good all around for the Packers defense this weekend

Still have seen too many Packer teams over the years struggle going into Florida in the early months when the weather is hot and humid, and the Bucs defense has looked great these first couple weeks. I'd expect this game to be a low scoring one all around. 20-17 type game

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If Rodgers needs to push it downfield, in a true pocket fashion, we lose.  It doesn't matter who the WR's are.  Our line will not hold up.

We can go downfield on play action and bootlegs.  But if he has to sit back there 35 times in the pocket, the game is over.

Oh I agree… but GB cant be an offense that is only working 5-10 yards from the line of scrimmage every play. TB is too fast on the defense to work the short stuff all game long.

they can’t be a dink and dunk offense, is my point.

Now they can’t do the LaFleur and rodger special and sit back in the pocket and wait for long developing plays. Or do long shot plays on 3rd and 2.

My point is more they need to have a vertically attacking pass game that is on schedule. Heck a deeper slant route where Watson grabs and goes needs to happen. They just need to be aggressive.

As awesome as Jones and Dillon are, I don’t think last nights game plan will work on a TB defense.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

They better ******* know this. This is the way. Don't try to "outsmart" them by coming out doing the opposite thinking they won't see it coming. 

14 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Oh I agree… but GB cant be an offense that is only working 5-10 yards from the line of scrimmage every play. TB is too fast on the defense to work the short stuff all game long.

they can’t be a dink and dunk offense, is my point.

Now they can’t do the LaFleur and rodger special and sit back in the pocket and wait for long developing plays. Or do long shot plays on 3rd and 2.

My point is more they need to have a vertically attacking pass game that is on schedule. Heck a deeper slant route where Watson grabs and goes needs to happen. They just need to be aggressive.

As awesome as Jones and Dillon are, I don’t think last nights game plan will work on a TB defense.

No.  It will not work to the extent that it worked against Chicago.

We also did not branch off of the offense against Chicago because we simply did not have to do so.

But again, if Rodgers is going to sit in the pocket and wait for those deeper routes, well, we will see how good Jordan Love really is.  Our o-line is not good right now.

Our offense will be a lot of dink and dunk stuff, with our shot plays coming more off of play action.

I'm not putting Watson in tight spaces to make precise route cuts and catches.  No way.  I'll put Watkins and Lazard into those spaces and maybe even Doubs over Watson.

Watson needs the MVS stuff...for now.

And if you do want aggressive...with this line....you are asking for Love to be played soon.

We need longer drives, keep the D off of the field.  Then hope they can control the game and that our offense can kill clock.  That is how we should win for the next 6 games or so.

I am not saying I like it, but that is our blueprint.

When/if Bakh comes back and can play at a high level, and Jenkins slides to guard, with Nijman to RT...then we may be afforded more time in the pocket.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No.  It will not work to the extent that it worked against Chicago.

We also did not branch off of the offense against Chicago because we simply did not have to do so.

But again, if Rodgers is going to sit in the pocket and wait for those deeper routes, well, we will see how good Jordan Love really is.  Our o-line is not good right now.

Our offense will be a lot of dink and dunk stuff, with our shot plays coming more off of play action.

I'm not putting Watson in tight spaces to make precise route cuts and catches.  No way.  I'll put Watkins and Lazard into those spaces and maybe even Doubs over Watson.

Watson needs the MVS stuff...for now.

And if you do want aggressive...with this line....you are asking for Love to be played soon.

We need longer drives, keep the D off of the field.  Then hope they can control the game and that our offense can kill clock.  That is how we should win for the next 6 games or so.

I am not saying I like it, but that is our blueprint.

When/if Bakh comes back and can play at a high level, and Jenkins slides to guard, with Nijman to RT...then we may be afforded more time in the pocket.

Is Nijman a hunch, hope or just a guess? I don't think he's practiced there much if at all and that is not an easy switch for most. I'd be OK with Tom at RT though. 

I saw Tom Brady throw a touchdown pass to Breshad Perriman on Sunday, who I must confess I had no idea was even still in the league. Let alone Tom Brady's, what, 6th receiving option? He also didn't appear to need to "trust" him or else he earned it pretty ******* fast. 

All this is to say we're going to get our butts kicked with or without Mike Evans and Julio Jones. And Outpost is right, we will be better for it. 

The issue with this matchup is the Bucs' strength is defending the run, and that is our strength.  Dallas was able to do nothing running the ball, although Ingram was a little more effective on New Orleans.  Maybe we can get Dillon going because these LBs are FAST to the ball and I don't think it's Jones' matchup to win.

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

I saw Tom Brady throw a touchdown pass to Breshad Perriman on Sunday, who I must confess I had no idea was even still in the league. Let alone Tom Brady's, what, 6th receiving option? He also didn't appear to need to "trust" him or else he earned it pretty ******* fast. 

All this is to say we're going to get our butts kicked with or without Mike Evans and Julio Jones. And Outpost is right, we will be better for it. 

This narrative is silly.

We already got our ***** handed to us by a division rival. We don't need another reminder two weeks later by a conference rival.

The team will be competitive as long as they remember the lessons of the week 1 blowout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

The issue with this matchup is the Bucs' strength is defending the run, and that is our strength.  Dallas was able to do nothing running the ball, although Ingram was a little more effective on New Orleans.  Maybe we can get Dillon going because these LBs are FAST to the ball and I don't think it's Jones' matchup to win.

Through 2 games they are giving up 4.5 yards per attempt. Not sure where this narrative is coming from. Dallas could have kept running Zeke, but McCarthy coached teams never stick with the run. 

If either Prescott or Winston played worth a ****, they win the game. 

54 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Through 2 games they are giving up 4.5 yards per attempt. Not sure where this narrative is coming from. Dallas could have kept running Zeke, but McCarthy coached teams never stick with the run. 

If either Prescott or Winston played worth a ****, they win the game. 

Yeah, but it's the Tampa defense that makes them look like crap. 

Just on previous experience, e.g., Packers win at Arizona last year, when the Packers aren't given much of a chance, they often play better than expected. Like they need that underdog, "nothing to lose" mentality. Still, I wouldn't bet on the Packers in this one. Were it like Week 12, they were healthy, and they had more time to gel and work out the kinks, perhaps I'd feel better about it.

Edited by DWhitehurst