2022 Rookie Watch

Smidgeon

So I'm pretty hyped for this rookie class.  I think they got value and talent almost everywhere with most of the players raw but ascending talents if the staff can get it out of them.  The ones who don't fit that characterization were drafted for either value (Enagbare) or specific roles (Carpenter, Ford).

I thought it would be good to have a thread where there's periodic updates on their progress throughout the season.

Through 2 Games…                                                                                                        

Player   Active Games    Role       Stats     

1.22        Quay Walker      ILB          2              Preferred Starter             13 Tackles (10 solo), 1 PBU         

• Playing 68% of the snaps, Quay has range.  I think he's still thinking too much, but his speed makes it less noticeable.  Once he settles in, trusts his eyes and his teammates, and attacks (could be later this year or even next year once he masters the defense), he might end up having the best ILB career in GB over the last 20 years.    
  • Predicted 1st Year Impact:  Dependable starter

1.28        Devonte Wyatt DT           2             Backup        1 Tackle (0 solo)               

• Only in for 15% of the defensive snaps, Devonte has yet to positively affect a game.  Considering his age and his college production, he was supposed to be the most "pro-ready" of the rookie class.  That being said, there's no reason for concern.  The Packers have bona fides in front of him, and the transition to DT in the NFL can be lengthy.  I expect him to get his moments situationally this year, but as long as he flashes this year his real value will be in the years to come.  
  • Predicted 1st Year Impact:  Situational pass rusher

2.02        Christian Watson              WR         2              Backup       5 Rec (43 yds), 1 Rush (7 yds)     

• The crown jewel of the Packers receiving future, Christian Watson suffered an injury over the summer, and it's safe to wonder how much it slowed his development.  Reports from game 1 indicated he and Doubs were getting open on their routes but the combination of QB/WR trust development stage and OL issues in game 1 lessened the opportunities.  With a big drop on the first offensive play of the first game, I wonder how much (if any) that threw off his trajectory.  Had he caught that pass, he would be leading the team in yardage through 2 games. Still with a very bright future, Rodgers has since yet to target him downfield.  With 62 snaps (48%) he trails only Quay in rookie utilization and both he and Doubs (47%)  are ahead of Cobb (42%).  The Packers want him on the field.   
  • Predicted 1st Year Impact:  Top 3 WR in yards

3.28        Sean Rhyan         OG         1              Bench   --            

• Coming onto a team with question marks at the RG position and two injuries at the tackles, GB had a thin line and plenty of opportunity.  Active in game 1, Rhyan wasn't even the first rookie backup to see the field when the thin line got hit by injury.  For 2022, it appears Rhyan's role will be to build strength for next year.  Among all the IOL picks of the last couple years, at some point, the line will be strong up the middle.  Rhyan could be part of the solution, but it's been a disappointment so far.   
  • Predicted 1st Year Impact:  Inactive

4.27        Romeo Doubs    WR         2              Backup        6 Rec (64 yds), 1 Rush (11 yds)  

• The darling of training camp with routine "Wow" plays in seemingly every practice and preaseason game, it was safe to expect more from Doubs out of the gate.  Like the OL, the WR corps was thin for the start of 2022, and the early performance made it appear Doubs would be a surprise breakout contributer early on.  With 64 yards through week 2, he's third on the team in receiving yards (Watkins, Jones) and tied first (Watkins, Jones, Dillon) for receptions at 6 on two fewer snaps than Watson.  Excepting the RBs, Doubs is leading the team in targets, but Rodgers is spreading the ball around pretty evenly (7-9 targets each for 6 players).  Statistically, both Doubs and Watson are getting their share of opportunities and production in the passing game, but in a ho-hum sort of way.
  • Predicted 1st Year Impact:  Top 3 WR in receptions

4.35        Zach Tom             OG/OT  2              Backup         30 snaps Game 1             

• A developmental prospect with great feet and a need to develop NFL strength, Tom was expected to compete for a backup position this year--which for GB's thin line might have included a Game 1 start--with the potential to be a long term starter somewhere along the line.  An above average training camp and as-advertised feet put him in the conversation for earlier-than-anticipated playing time.  When injuries hit an already thin OL, he got the call ahead of Rhyan and remains a critical backup.      
  • Predicted 1st Year Impact:  Reliable backup

5.36        Kingsley Enagbare            Edge      2              Backup        2 Tackles (2 solo)             

• An accomplished college rusher, Enagbare's athletic projection to the NFL had him slip to the fifth round.  So far in 2022, he's logged only 2 snaps fewer than Devonte Wyatt, albeit at a thinner position.  With the more limited athleticism, Enagbare will have to succeed through technique and a repertoire of moves.  The good news is in these regards he's already mature for a rookie.  A good NFL offseason, and he might be an integral part of the rotation behind Gary and Smith.
  • Predicted 1st Year Impact:  Reliable backup

7.07        Tariq Carpenter Safety   0              Special Teams    --            

• All 7th round picks are lottery tickets.  If they hit in any way, it's value.  Drafted primarily to play special teams, Carpenter has yet to see live action in a game.  Without seeing practice, there's no way to tell what his development cycle looks like.  The hope is he becomes a special teams ace.  If not, the Packers will try another lotto ticket next year.               

7.13        Jonathan Ford   DT           0              Developmental prospect              --            

• All 7th round picks are lottery tickets.  I believe Ford is an undrafted rookie talent but was drafted by Green Bay because they wouldn't have been able to convince him to come north to play pro ball in the UDFA free for all.  An intriguing size/strength prospect, Ford is a true lottery ticket.  He could be anything from a mountainous run-stopper on early downs, to manning the interior of special teams blocking units, to a washout by the end of the year.       

7.28        Rasheed Walker               OT          2              Developmental prospect              --            

• All 7th round picks are lottery tickets, but in some ways, Walker and Toure both feel like safer lottery picks than normal.  Walker is a talented player with some maturity issues (on the field and arguably off the field) that caused his stock to drop.  Without an NFL offseason, Walker was always going to be a development prospect this year and possibly a 17 game inactive.  However, the surprising part is that of the three OL drafted, it was the highest one drafted who earned the first inactive among the three.  Once Bahktiari returns, I expect to see Walker join Rhyan on the list.  The other note is that of the 7th round picks, he's the only one who didn't spend both games on the inactive list.  I think he's a 4th round talent.  I just don't know if he has a ten cent head or a 4th round head who made 10 cent decisions.           

7.37        Samori Toure     WR         0              Developmental prospect              --            

• My other 7th round crush after Jonathan Ford, I think Toure was underdrafted.  Underutilized in college, the Packers were able to get value in another athletic WR from a school that ran, ran, ran.  I think Toure is closer to a 5th round talent (which is still more miss than hit), but with the receiving development clinic Green Bay has developed with Rodgers at the helm, he has every chance in the world to be serviceable.  But probably not this year unless injuries hit the WR corps.   
Edited by Smidgeon
formatting
  • Like 2