Week 3 GDT: San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

8 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Also for those saying how bad the offense is, and they are, there is no doubt about it.  But let's not forget the 49ers were being touted as having one of the best defenses in the league.  I actually don't many better than the 49ers and the Broncos at the moment.  

As pleased as I am with our D's performance, it's been great, we need to keep in mind that our 3 opponents so far have among the worst offenses in the league averaging 16.3, 15.7 and 15.7 PPG.  We're worse averaging only 14.3. 

It's gotta be a record, having a 2-1 record despite scoring only 43 points. 

3 hours ago, champ11 said:

Outten is Hackett's buddy! As is Evero and at least he looks like a stud.

Interesting tidbit in an athletic piece this morning. The guy Hackett had hired to be is game management guy prior to the hiring last week - close friend with ZERO experience. 

I love the NFL

i followed his staff hiring closely. That was how all his offensive hires sounded. I think Kubiak was pushed on him.

Luckily, Paton and Evero hired the defensive staff, retained Kollar and hired Capers.

41 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

i followed his staff hiring closely. That was how all his offensive hires sounded. I think Kubiak was pushed on him.

Luckily, Paton and Evero hired the defensive staff, retained Kollar and hired Capers.

Maybe the offense needs to add Gary Kubiak as a "consultant?" There wasn't a better game manager than Gary..Shanny, but that is probably because Shanny taught Gary, and so on, and so on.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Maybe the offense needs to add Gary Kubiak as a "consultant?" There wasn't a better game manager than Gary..Shanny, but that is probably because Shanny taught Gary, and so on, and so on.  

Just my opinion but I think the Kubiak and Capers hires were for just that reason. Gary's retired now but I'll bet if Klint were made OC, Gary would certainly help with the package. Any guy that could build an offense that 2015 PM could run is pretty awesome.

Somebody else posted today that if Hackett keeps delegating what are normally HC tasks we won't have a need for him.

Could be prophetic.

10 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Just my opinion but I think the Kubiak and Capers hires were for just that reason. Gary's retired now but I'll bet if Klint were made OC, Gary would certainly help with the package. Any guy that could build an offense that 2015 PM could run is pretty awesome.

Somebody else posted today that if Hackett keeps delegating what are normally HC tasks we won't have a need for him.

Could be prophetic.

It seems to me that the players really like Hackett.  Maybe he just becomes the CEO type that Elway was always looking for.  

• Like 1

I will say on a random note, our Tight Ends are an interesting bunch. Saubert continues to be quite good in the blocking game to the point that I hear his name in games more than Albert O. However, long-term I think it speaks to our lack of movement within the offense. I haven't gone back and watched it but it seems that we are putting almost all our guys on the line and having one or two receivers + RB as the pass option.

I get that it protects Russell better but I don't see that being effective vs modern defenses. We need more options moving around to different parts of the field IMO...the math (defenders vs receivers) just doesn't add up well for us which is why these other teams Safeties are just moving down. Also could lend itself to us getting blitzed so much...doesn't matter how many blockers you have in that scenario. Eventually someone's going to get to you cause everyone is covered and our offensive line has to get holding calls because the play is running too long.

I think Broncofan mentioned this is exactly the perfect time for someone like Hamler or Jeudy to just take off running to blow up the blitz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

I will say on a random note, our Tight Ends are an interesting bunch. Saubert continues to be quite good in the blocking game to the point that I hear his name in games more than Albert O. However, long-term I think it speaks to our lack of movement within the offense. I haven't gone back and watched it but it seems that we are putting almost all our guys on the line and having one or two receivers + RB as the pass option.

I get that it protects Russell better but I don't see that being effective vs modern defenses. We need more options moving around to different parts of the field IMO...the math (defenders vs receivers) just doesn't add up well for us which is why these other teams Safeties are just moving down. Also could lend itself to us getting blitzed so much...doesn't matter how many blockers you have in that scenario. Eventually someone's going to get to you cause everyone is covered and our offensive line has to get holding calls because the play is running too long.

I think Broncofan mentioned this is exactly the perfect time for someone like Hamler or Jeudy to just take off running to blow up the blitz.

I’m not advocating doing this every time.   Doesn’t even have to be a bomb just it has to stretch the D.   But you have to do it at least 2-3x a game to keep the safeties honest.   Then it opens up the running lanes.   Pass sets up the run.   

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Dude. It’s week 3. 

Very fair, just that a L would have been crushing.   

It's a long way to 10+ wins, but these are the swing games that often make the difference.    With 7 playoff teams, 10-7 should get in about 85-90 percent of the time.    While we should be 3-0 talent wise, we're also fortunate to be 2-1.     

We can get the W next win, I think most fans would have been satisfied with a 3-1 start, realizing that SF was a 50-50 prop at best (even with JimmyG, they are a perennial playoff team), and playing at LV is never a lock, it's been our downfall many seasons whether Oakland or Vegas.

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

I thought I was being optimistic, I DO have us making the playoffs....😆

Unless our offense improves drastically we haven't got a chance. Our D has been great at only 12 ppg but with an O output of 14.3 ppg we're in seriously deep s**t.