Week 3 GDT: San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The in-game, or gameday, management is as bad as I’ve seen. And I’ve even covered 2A and 3A high school football. 

That said, the scheme has shown some good things. The buy-in appears to be there. I haven’t heard about a locker room revolt (which was happening in 2009 before Mac coached his first game). So there’s that. 

Now, I’m not saying any of that to defend Hackett as we all have said this has been horrendous. He said yesterday they are streamlining things. Let’s see if it looks better. Because on Sunday night we’re playing what is, by far, the best team lead by, by far, the best coaching staff, we have faced this season. 

I like Hackett, as a guy, and I think he can be a good coach, but if there isn’t marked improvement in the areas we’ve all outlined in the game week, even if we lose (and we will, let’s not split hairs the Niners will work us up and down the field), then it might be time to cut bait. 

The crushing part is the scheme looks so good for the talent we have.   Once we stopped putting our EDGE's in coverage in the 1H in SEA, they've been great (even if it was the Gregory show on week 2).   The DB's were great last week - Mathis had a WHALE of a game.    Locke and Sterns both looked comfortable in their first starting (both out in pass downs).  

And on O, Jeudy & Sutton are getting their chances to win.   The run game with Javonte looks great.   Sure, we haven't had a 3rd receiver or Albert O break out - but the roles keep changing with injury, and realistically Hamler's supposed to be the vertical threat and complementary piece.     And the pleasant surprise is that our OL has held up even with our best G and likely best RT still yet to play (Fleming's been decent, which is a bonus).  

Everything else with the HC job, though, has been nothing short of disastrous.   But there's a foundation to work with, scheme-wise.  It's why patience is warranted.  I don't see game 3 as that time, FWIW.  The most likely outcome is he still makes it through the season - year 1 firings are literally a 1-2x off.   It would be a unicorn even if Hackett didn't improve, that he was canned at the bye.   But the fact it's even being discussed and not called pure fantasy, that's how bad of a HC game management performance we've seen for 2 games.  

Still, Hackett took the punishment and flak and owned it.  Talk is still cheap, though.    God, I hope we see improvement in the key areas.   Perfection isn't required, but at least be clearly better in the play calling decisions, getting them out early, and managing the clock/key game decisions overall.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It's easier when you realize your division rival might have the worst coach in the league by a wide margin.

Hard to argue with that at this e point, but like I said on the Raiders board, your team had the opportunity to learn from our mistake, and surprise surprise, he’s still Josh McDaniels. The incompetence we’ve seen from Hackett surprised everyone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, you know I'm forever the optimist and pretty patient. That said, in almost 60 years as a fan I've never seen as disastrous a debut for a HC as Hacketts had. I'd think he's seriously in danger of losing the team. Having your HC display absolute incompetence at an NFL level is hardly inspiring. IMO this is pretty much unprecedented at this level so nothing in my data banks has a reference point. 

Urban Meyer?

• Like 1

Has to be acknowledged that neither VJ nor Fangio looked comfortable on the sidelines in their first couple of games either. Not encouraging because neither got much better over time. Hard to understand how lost VJ was, he didn’t call plays! 

What Hackett is trying to be all at once would be difficult for ANY coach to pull off, there’s a reason Sean McVay is the envy of every team. He can pull off being the offensive genius, sideline presence, game manager and emotional leader simultaneously. That is extremely rare. Hackett clearly looks out of his depth trying to be all of these things, so he needs to make some difficult choices or this thing could really implode. 

17 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Has to be acknowledged that neither VJ nor Fangio looked comfortable on the sidelines in their first couple of games either. Not encouraging because neither got much better over time. Hard to understand how lost VJ was, he didn’t call plays! 

What Hackett is trying to be all at once would be difficult for ANY coach to pull off, there’s a reason Sean McVay is the envy of every team. He can pull off being the offensive genius, sideline presence, game manager and emotional leader simultaneously. That is extremely rare. Hackett clearly looks out of his depth trying to be all of these things, so he needs to make some difficult choices or this thing could really implode. 

One very unique reason why McVay can do it better than most - his photographic memory.   He can recall convos or game tape from 5, 7, 10 years ago.  It's ridiculous, and certainly allows him to process / plan in ways others simply can't.

Having said that, what is more innate - the wilingness to be decisive, to be bold.   Ironically, McVay doesn't have it as much as others do (but his pre-game prep, scheme and ability to manage a roster and get the most, well it more than makes for conservative game management).    It would be nice to see some of that fire from Hackett.   Now I get if you're overwhelmed, it's harder, but the play-to-win mentality is a must if you want to win big games in January.  I'm not expecting this out of the gate...but it's a lot easier if that's the natural tendency.  The 64 yard FG try...was the exact opposite of play-to-win.    It can be fixed, but man, I'd like to see some let's-win-this-with-my-best-guy-beating-your-best-guy mentality.....not TE option plays at 3rd and 1, or misdirection EZ QB rollouts.   Being too predictable is bad, but getting cute and not letting your best guys win the game is 100x worse.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

One very unique reason why McVay can do it better than most - his photographic memory.   He can recall convos or game tape from 5, 7, 10 years ago.  It's ridiculous, and certainly allows him to process / plan in ways others simply can't.

Having said that, what is more innate - the wilingness to be decisive, to be bold.   Ironically, McVay doesn't have it as much as others do (but his pre-game prep, scheme and ability to manage a roster and get the most, well it more than makes for conservative game management).    It would be nice to see some of that fire from Hackett.   Now I get if you're overwhelmed, it's harder, but the play-to-win mentality is a must if you want to win big games in January.  I'm not expecting this out of the gate...but it's a lot easier if that's the natural tendency.  The 64 yard FG try...was the exact opposite of play-to-win.    It can be fixed, but man, I'd like to see some let's-win-this-with-my-best-guy-beating-your-best-guy mentality.....not TE option plays at 3rd and 1, or misdirection EZ QB rollouts.   Being too predictable is bad, but getting cute and not letting your best guys win the game is 100x worse.

Yeah, why the overthinking in these games against two teams who have significantly less talent than we do? The personnel on defense can man cover and get pressure with four. We have three dynamic, special talents on offense to get the ball to. Russ can make high level throws and has seen every defense. The blocking up front has mostly been solid. 

You have to really **** the bed to derail what you have there against a couple bad teams.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Very much agree with this. People here talking about growing pains…what we’ve seen so far are not standard growing pains. The words “disastrous” and “unprecedented” might seem hyperbolic, but truly, we have never seen a head coach start a tenure with this level of ineptitude before. It has been, quite literally, an unprecedented disaster. All of the established, quality HC’s around the league, not one of them has ever had a two game stretch like this, I can all but guarantee that. Hell, not even any of the poor coaches I’ve seen have had a two game stretch like this.

This is not normal. These are not ordinary growing pains that we can assume he’ll grow and learn from. We can’t know that, because again, we’ve never seen a coach this clueless before.

Here's what I really have a problem with 101. This is not a rookie HC from Appalachian State or Hofstra. He's a guy with 20 years of coaching experience, his 14th in the NFL, 7 as an OC. Why exactly should he be given any slack? 

Paton retained Kollar, and hired Capers. Had a lot to do with the defensive staff. The Capers hire confused me a bit. Not really a great DC, not familiar with the scheme, but a reliable, experienced HC/DC. 

Hackett was given total control over the offensive staff. When he fired Munchak and Kuper that was a little much. Anyway, he's already lost me as a supporter. No way should you be an HC in the NFL if you can't have your team ready on game day.

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Having seen McDummazz here in DEN, we already knew that.....it does give us hope, we won't be Raider bad 

Bud, we already are! Our defense hasn't seemed to miss a beat but Hacketts baby, our offense with one of the best skill position groups in the NFL and enhanced at the QB position greatly sucks.

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I thought Joseph actually did well at the start. Remember that ESPN sideline dude was like “He’s having the time of his life!” 

17 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Bud, we already are! Our defense hasn't seemed to miss a beat but Hacketts baby, our offense with one of the best skill position groups in the NFL and enhanced at the QB position greatly sucks.

It doesn’t suck, though. We lead the NFL in yards per drive. Our PPG is poor because of one reason, and that’s all time bad red zone efficiency.

We’ve had drives reach the 2, 6, 12, 1 and 1 yard line. A normal NFL team might score four touchdowns and one field goal from those five drives for 31 points. We have scored no touchdowns and three field goals for 9 points.

This is extremely frustrating and this post is not intended to minimise the issues Hackett faces, but it’s much easier to iron out little creases like this during the week than it would be to revamp an offense that’s struggling to move the ball at all. 

There’s an element of luck involved as well. Fumble recoveries are particularly fluky, and both of our RBs fumbling at the goal line could easily have bounced into the arms of one of our players, but no, we lost the ball both times. On the other side, the defense has forced five fumbles and only recovered one of them. Russell also had a fluky pick against the Texans which was stripped out of Sutton’s arms.

The QB play looks night-and-day better than the endless stream of competition winners posing as NFL QBs we’ve had since 2016, the defense is playing incredibly stingy football (although we do need more turnovers), there’s just a few bits missing but I do very strongly believe that making those small tweaks during the week is much more feasible than trying to reinvent the wheel. 

• Like 2

What's really frustrating is that we've upgraded this team significantly from a talent standpoint. Paton has been lights out in the draft as well as free agency. We're weak at the ILB slot.. But we're very solid everywhere else. Even if Russell Wilson is in decline (which he seems to be), he's still lightyears above any other QB we've had in the last 7 seasons. I can't help but wonder what this team would look like right now under a competent coach.  

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

6th in time of possession, 7th in yards per game, 7th in yards per play ...

... 31st in redzone %.

This Offense doesn't suck, I'm sorry. It isn't some stagnant, eye bleed Offense where we are Punting every possession. They are just horrific in the redzone. 

If they can find a way to be league average in the redzone, the narrative will change very quickly.

• Like 1