Week 3 GDT: San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

SF's D is very stout vs the run. I expect we win through the air, so having Judy or a new emerging target is key. Albert O?

Receivers/RB's holding onto the ball and sideline awareness need to significantly improve. If we don't have those gaffes week 1 and 2, we score more points and Hackett's issues are perceived as fixable and he's given more time to improve.

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Perhaps, but we don't need a Raider fan to troll over here, it seems we have you for that 

Now that's a cheap shot. I've been a Bronco fan longer than most folks here have been alive.

I just don't drink all the Kool aid. 

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

SF's D is very stout vs the run. I expect we win through the air, so having Judy or a new emerging target is key. Albert O?

Receivers/RB's holding onto the ball and sideline awareness need to significantly improve. If we don't have those gaffes week 1 and 2, we score more points and Hackett's issues are perceived as fixable and he's given more time to improve.

Cleveland / Washington can provide vertical threats, but if Jeudy & Hamler don't play, I really hope Hinton is the 2nd WR, because out of all the guys, he's got the most diverse route tree.   If we go 3 wide, then add Cleveland/Washington.

Having our top 3 WR's would make a massive difference.  But even 2/3 makes a big diff (if it's Hamler, then Hinton plays as 3rd guy, if it's Jeudy, then you go more. burner-type, with some Hinton mixed in).  Fingers crossed.

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

This is a good piece, but you have to contextualise it. The Broncos have made two seasons worth of mental errors in two games. We lost one of those games by a point and we won the other. If an average NFL team suffered the amount of mental errors we have in the last two games, they get blown out both weeks.

It’s very clear to anyone with the mental capacity to look at the bigger picture that the Broncos are a good football team who are being let down by boneheaded mistakes. If you ask 100 smart football minds what is easier to correct during a week:

1) Silly errors 

2) A fundamental issue moving the ball

#1 wins every time.

If the errors keep up then the Broncos will go like 7-10 and miss the playoffs, but if it all comes together then we’ve got ourselves a good football team here. Most of us have little doubt that Hackett will learn from his mistakes. 

If we are contextualizing it, it should be noted that they've played the Seahawks and the Texans. Two teams who will likely be in the bottom 5. This looks a lot different had they played Mahomes or Herbert. 

And what evidence is there Hackett will learn from his mistakes? He was never qualified for the position to begin with. Nothing on his resume points to him being able to coach and lead a team. His biggest selling point as a coach was "Aaron Rodgers likes him". 

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

If we are contextualizing it, it should be noted that they've played the Seahawks and the Texans. Two teams who will likely be in the bottom 5. This looks a lot different had they played Mahomes or Herbert. 

And what evidence is there Hackett will learn from his mistakes? He was never qualified for the position to begin with. Nothing on his resume points to him being able to coach and lead a team. His biggest selling point as a coach was "Aaron Rodgers likes him". 

You can only beat what’s in front of you.

Not that your team has managed to do that yet this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Perhaps you just need to embrace the newest flavor, it could be here a while.

If you're considering Hackett the "newest flavor" I don't think so. Right now I've found lots to like about this team and been vocal about it. Not Hackett though. 15 years in the NFL as an OC and every week he looks like we drug a drunk off a barstool, handed him the playbook and said go get 'em tiger.

Last year we had no option at OC on the team. This year we've got a proven option at HC in Capers and an exciting one at OC in Kubiak. Knowing how close Klint and his dad are that's kinda like adding Gary as a defacto adviser. Looks to me like we could pull the plug on Howdy Doody at any time and be a better team immediately.

I'd think Hacketts leash is one game long right now.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Anyway, the Niners are a decent team, but there's no reason they should be road favorites against this team, even with the scoring issues. If our defense can hold up ever so slightly better against their running game, I think we absolutely have a chance. Lance not playing may help us if we force Jimmy G to throw the ball. We'll see. Kittle may have a huge game if he plays. 

The 49ers are probably better off in the passing game with Jimmy as opposed to Lance if we are talking play by play basis. Far less variance. It's not as versatile because Jimmy is far more limited in where he can throw it, but should be far more efficient. That's why Jimmy is always among the league leaders in EPA / play. He just puts the ball in the hands of guys like Deebo and Kittle and lets them do what he is going to do. Lance certainly has more arm talent than Jimmy, but man, he's just all over the damn place and leaves a lot of gimmes on the field still (even more so than Jimmy, who can at least decimate in the middle of the field). 

I do believe the running game will be weaker, however. The game against Seattle is a very limited sample, but with Lance they racked up 100+ yards in less than 2 full drives, in part because of the reads and options with Lance. With Jimmy they put up 80 yards the rest of the game. The running game under Jimmy has had its ups and downs in terms of effectiveness and efficiency. 

11 hours ago, AKRNA said:

If you're considering Hackett the "newest flavor" I don't think so. Right now I've found lots to like about this team and been vocal about it. Not Hackett though. 15 years in the NFL as an OC and every week he looks like we drug a drunk off a barstool, handed him the playbook and said go get 'em tiger.

Last year we had no option at OC on the team. This year we've got a proven option at HC in Capers and an exciting one at OC in Kubiak. Knowing how close Klint and his dad are that's kinda like adding Gary as a defacto adviser. Looks to me like we could pull the plug on Howdy Doody at any time and be a better team immediately.

I'd think Hacketts leash is one game long right now.

That first paragraph had me laughing hard. What an analogy.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

The 49ers are probably better off in the passing game with Jimmy as opposed to Lance if we are talking play by play basis. Far less variance. It's not as versatile because Jimmy is far more limited in where he can throw it, but should be far more efficient. That's why Jimmy is always among the league leaders in EPA / play. He just puts the ball in the hands of guys like Deebo and Kittle and lets them do what he is going to do. Lance certainly has more arm talent than Jimmy, but man, he's just all over the damn place and leaves a lot of gimmes on the field still (even more so than Jimmy, who can at least decimate in the middle of the field). 

I do believe the running game will be weaker, however. The game against Seattle is a very limited sample, but with Lance they racked up 100+ yards in less than 2 full drives, in part because of the reads and options with Lance. With Jimmy they put up 80 yards the rest of the game. The running game under Jimmy has had its ups and downs in terms of effectiveness and efficiency. 

Would also imagine being down Mitchell and now Davis-Price may hurt a bit if Wilson is the only back available?