Week 3 GDT: San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

12 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

lol yall are hilarious. I can't wait for the first Broncos/Raiders game. This board will be easily half the fun!

It's quite hilarious that BP is venturing and posting in the Broncos forum on the regular when we haven't even played the Raiders yet ... 

Would love to know what it was that the Broncos did to him as a child. It's clearly left some scars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

It's quite hilarious that BP is venturing and posting in the Broncos forum on the regular when we haven't even played the Raiders yet ... 

Would love to know what it was that the Broncos did to him as a child. It's clearly left some scars.

Well, there really isn't anything good to talk about in the Raider forum

• Like 1

Having Turner & Meinerz return and play would help vs.  Bosa & pass rush.  Jones is our run D anchor.  PS2 locking up Aiyuk (Deebo will move around and even go backfield) massive as well.   Jewell at ILB and D is at its best while Simmons out.   Encouraging news on all fronts.  

If Jeudy can’t go Hamler would help so much.  Most likely outcome for Jeudy still seems 1-2 weeks.   Would love if he beats that obv.    Fingers crossed on both but even 1/2 guys back such a diff maker.   

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Hamler is a disappointment man. I hope he can get healthy because that guy was electric. It just seems like every single week it's something different with him.

52 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Eddie Royal 2.0, for better or worse.

28 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

That would be a great outcome at this point. 

Just so expectations can be managed - ACL recovery has guys playing at the 10-12 month mark, but they are NOWHERE near full explosion / burst / sudden-ness until 18 months.   That 2nd part has always been the case, but the earlier returns have ppl who forget this.    The only 2 players who were at the same level of play at 10-12 months - Adrian Peterson and Jerry Rice.  And I would argue they were likely at 90 percent of their peak abilities - but 90 percent of those 2 guys are still elite players.   For everyone else, expect them to be not quite what they were, because 90 percent is enough to see a gap in their peak production.  But 18+ months afterwards, if the recovery's been uncomplicated - expect bigger things.

Two more players who've already shown this in 2022 - Courtland Sutton & Saquon Barkley.  Both looked sluggish in year 1, both look fine now.   Keep that in mind when ppl clamor for OBJ, he's likely going to have the same issue (2023 is when his 18-month recovery window opens up, hard pass on him anytime for 2022).

All of which to say - Hamler's best contribution this year will be as a burner, and bubble-screen, pure speed guy.    The pure straight line speed comes back soonest, and usually is there from 1st game back.  The extra stuff, though (change of direction, stop/start, sudden-ness) - that's 2023+.   So ppl don't jump the gun in writing him off yet, even if he's more of a decoy / deep-threat only.   Keep in mind I've been on record that I didn't think Hamler was a great value pick at Rd2 (I went with Jaylon Johnson in the 2021 GM game - which actually has been a great pick lol), but I do get the thinking.   So I've got nothing invested in saying that patience is the play here.   Once the ACL happened, it's really taking 2 years of prime production out, not 1.   Still, his speed is more than enough for D's to respect, which is why we absolutely could use him this game with Jeudy likely out.

Edited by Broncofan

As for the game itself, @TecmoSuperJoe asked me in the SF Forum for how I'd handicap the game (as I've been known to place a bet or 2 in the Betting Thread lol)....copy/pasted for our own thread (and probably will put up on Main Forum when that goes up, especially so ppl understand the context with Hackett):

SF on O

If Trey Lance was playing SF's O would have a great shot of killing our D.   Our ILB’s pass cover is very poor and run support even worse.  If we get Jewell back it helps but not against elite speed running QB.   Hurts, Lance & Lamar would feast.   Without Lance and your top 2 RB’s , the run game with Deebo and Kittle receiving / Deebo in short area is how you attack it.    Before ppl say JimmyG improves the pass game over Lance - that’s our strength.   JimmyG helps SF win more reg season games when the pass game is the weakness to exploit, and not where the run game / ILB’s aren’t the obv target.  

As for the pass game - besides our secondary, we can generate pressure both inside and out.   I don’t expect Trent Williams will repeat week 1 (where his footwork apparently tipped the D on run/pass), but McGlinchey / IOL is where the pressure (or not) will come.   Not just Randy Gregory but Dre’mont Jones.    Browning & Cooper are the other 2 names besides Chubb.    It seems like Patrick Surtain Jr. will play then he takes out who he’s covering (DK went 4-35 1H IIRC but Evero had them playing off coverage.   DK went 1-13 in 2H and HOU did nothing).   If Kittle & Deebo aren’t your highest volume guys and you hear the pass rushers name a lot - that’s likely DEN D win.   If the big 2  thrive and we hear little about SF's pass rushers then SF O gets the edge.  

DEN on O

On the flip side when DEN O gets the ball - if we don’t have Jeudy and Hamler that makes it a LOT easier to defend.    Even 1 of those 2 back then D’s can’t just try to take out Sutton.    Our run game has been very productive.   Javonte Williams is an absolute animal. The backup RT & G have played surprisingly well after losing Meinerz and Turner getting into game shape.   I’d prefer Turner in there though vs. Bosa obv.   The O leads the league in yards / drive at 57 yards/drive.   Basically, when we get the plays in on time and aren't going too-cute in the RZ, both pass & run game work really well so far (understanding it's SEA/HOU, but can only play who's in front of you).  Play calling in the RZ and penalties are the only reasons so far the O's production has not translated to huge point totals (plus unicorn of 2 fumbles at 1  yard line on week 1 MNF).   Russ hasn’t been running - he’s been extending plays while staying in the pocket.  This is good for us long-term but obv SF's pass rush success is another pivotal factor. 

INTANGIBLES 

So it’s a toss up on both sides of the ball  -  and depends a lot on who’s playing (or not).   4 intangibles to consider:  

1.  Our ST have been dreadful.  No TO but meh coverage / blocking.   No idea where SF's guys are at. 

2.  Coaching gap - I’ve been hard on Kyle Shanahan’s game management (while being a top 5 scheme designer and pre-game planner) as too conservative.    But his problems  pale in comparison to Nathaniel Hackett.   Dude has literally cost us 7+Pts each game with disastrous game management / penalties / play calling that’s been too cute in RZ and key 3rd down moments. 

Everyone saw MNF week 1.  Last week was literally no better for Hackett: 

-He called a 3rd and 1 TE option with guy who had 1 career carry -in college.   Then couldn’t decide on 4th and 2 at 37 what to - time count violation negated a made 55-yarder.   Punt instead of FG. 

-Also failed to use a TO with 2 in the pocket at 4th and goal at 1 yd line in the 2Q with 30 secs left.   Delay of game, FG.   Guess he thought he’d need them for those last 30 secs.  

-Had to burn a TO in the 2H on 4th down because we didn’t have a punt returner on the field.    

-And like week 1, we had 12+ penalties.    It’s that bad.    

So even though in-game is Kyle S’s weakest area (excellent everywhere else) - hard to think SF doesn’t have an edge.  

3.  Altitude - the depth / injuries SF is experiencing will matter - because playing in DEN prevents teams from playing the normal snaps they’re used to in other venues.  If it’s late and the TOP isn’t tilted heavily to SF then the units do wear down.   We’ve sucked at home the last 2-3 years because our O sucked and couldn’t keep the D off the field, which negated this advantage.  That’s no longer the case, so this should be back in our favour.  

4.  TO’s - the ultimate equalizer / decider.  Teams that go +1 win 65+ percent of games    2+ 90 percent, 3+ 96 percent.  One key change for our D - DC Evero is promoting ball hawking.  We’ve forced 5 fumbles but only recovered 1.    More to highlight how well JimmyG and RussW protect the ball will likely decide this.   

SUMMARY/FINAL THOUGHTS

If Kittle isn’t ok that’s a massive problem on O for the 49ers.   If Kittle is active and even just "close" to full go they can leverage our ILB weakness both with Kittle's elite run blocking and big play catch-and-run ability.   This also helps increase Deebo Samuel's impact (PS2 will likely take out one WR, so I'll pick Aiyuk since Deebo can be moved everywhere to avoid PS2).   On the flip side Jeudy / Hamler & Surtain Jr / DJ Jones are key ppl.   I’d say it’s 27-24 game if Kittle / Jeudy are  ok.   More like 20-17 if they aren’t.   Injury report will be massive.    Sorry to the SF fans that didn’t help on committing to the outcome - but that’s as complete a picture I can give as to why it’s a toss up and why the injury report matters so much.   

It’s  too bad Hackett decided to rest out starters for the entire preseason with a new scheme and then went all-time worst game management debut EVER and you guys played in a biblical monsoon - it should be a battle of 2-0 teams and seeing who’s legit.   Instead the winner is relieved and the loser has a much tougher road to realize their playoff aspirations.   But either way it should be a helluva game.   Hopefully it’s not decided by brain dead coaching and just better play on the field.   I can live with either result then. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

As for the game itself, @TecmoSuperJoe asked me in the SF Forum for how I'd handicap the game (as I've been known to place a bet or 2 in the Betting Thread lol)....copy/pasted for our own thread (and probably will put up on Main Forum when that goes up, especially so ppl understand the context with Hackett):

Wait, when did I say what? o_o

4 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Heard Jerry Jeudy was back at practice today, doesn't mean he'll play Sunday night but still promising

Still makes way more sense it’s an AC separation.    Great news in that 1/2 games certainly looks like worst case.    Fingers crossed for Sunday.  

Man it would be huge if Dre’mont missed the game.  The SF IOL is their big weakness.   And obv our DL isn’t deep for pass rush or run support.   The fact he was out there and moving well pre-practice - hopeful.   It’s as big an impact imo as Jeudy to the WR corps or PS2 to the secondary given who’s left on DL. 

Edited by Broncofan

How has DJ Jones been looking for you guys? Bosa, Armstead & Buckner when he was here got all the attention, but Jones was a really underrated part of our DL. 

You also have former 49ers K'Waun Williams & Jonas Griffith on your defense. Williams was a great Nickel CB. Griffith looked good in camp in 2020 or 2021 (forget which year) but we had a surplus of LB's which is why we traded him to you. 

Edited by 49ersfan