Black Panther

Acgott

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm not really buying Michael B. Jordan as a bad guy.  Bad casting fit for the role IMO.  Trailer looked pretty cool though.

I like the look from the trailers, and given his acting chops, I think he could pull it off. However, the dialogue in the trailer was not promising. Hopefully he doesn't come off as too cheesy of a villain, but I trust Marvel enough to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Outside of that, trailer was amazing, as expected. Really looking forward to this. Hope it kills at the box office!

2 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I like the look from the trailers, and given his acting chops, I think he could pull it off. However, the dialogue in the trailer was not promising. Hopefully he doesn't come off as too cheesy of a villain, but I trust Marvel enough to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Outside of that, trailer was amazing, as expected. Really looking forward to this. Hope it kills at the box office!

What? he says exactly 3 lines (one of which was delivered like a badass), that are all clearly chopped up from different parts of the film and are being fed to us completely out of context.

And if there is anything from Marvel that you shouldnt be giving the benifit of the doubt to, its their Villains...

19 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

What? he says exactly 3 lines (one of which was delivered like a badass), that are all clearly chopped up from different parts of the film and are being fed to us completely out of context.

And if there is anything from Marvel that you shouldnt be giving the benifit of the doubt to, its their Villains...

I guess it's subjective, but I thought the delivery was corny as hell for those lines, even if they are all completely out of context. Not saying the final product will be that cheesy, but that's the impression I personally got hearing his lines from the trailer.

And I think a lot of Marvel villains get a bad rap. They might not all be the overpowered larger than life villains comic books fans want, but all the actors who've played them have done a fantastic job and provided a worthy adversary for an introductory story, imo.

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I guess it's subjective, but I thought the delivery was corny as hell for those lines, even if they are all completely out of context. Not saying the final product will be that cheesy, but that's the impression I personally got hearing his lines from the trailer.

"I've waited my entire life for this" - dont see anything wrong with that line nor the delivery. Seems sincere, and if you know anything about the Killmonger/N'Jadaka character, it makes complete sense that we would hear this as part of his motivation speech.

"The world's gonna start over" - 100% agree, when presented out of context, it makes no sense and the way it is delivered seems corny as hell. But I will say, we have seen plenty of lines of dialog in trailers that arent even in the final film, and we have also seen alternate cuts used and lines delivered very differently from one to the next (for better and for worse)

"I'mma burn it all!" - Sorry, but damn, this was a great delivery with the little clip we get to see of him saying it. Power/Pain/Anger all conveyed in a quick snippet. With nothing else in context of this line, its hard to see anything but the true villain right there.

As I pointed out, I agree that one of the lines was bad. But the other two were good and great to me. Wrap that up with a really cool look as both Erik Killmonger as well as what will be the Golden Jaguar, not sure how much better they could have portrayed him without giving him his own trailer, which would have likely spoiled alot of things.

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

And I think a lot of Marvel villains get a bad rap. They might not all be the overpowered larger than life villains comic books fans want, but all the actors who've played them have done a fantastic job and provided a worthy adversary for an introductory story, imo.

Please elaborate, which ones get a bad wrap? I wont disagree that they have pulled some darn good actors to play those guys, but that is probably why they have been sooo disappointing, and often downright bad villains. None of them have ever really ruined a movie, but it took a while for any villain other than Loki to ever have an impact on a film.

Not to mention the constant Mirror Image villain Marvel goes with in just about every Origin Film;

• Ironman vs Iron Monger (and honestly every other Stark-centric marvel film)
  • Thor vs Loki
  • The Incredible Hulk vs Abomination
  • Captain America vs Red Skull
  • Ant-Man vs Yellow Jacket
  • Doctor Strange vs Kaecilius 
  • Black Panther vs Killmonger (especially in the Golden Jaguar suit) 

I actually really liked Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stain, but once he is Iron Monger he is just generic bad guy again. Almost like they pulled him back in to do that last part after he was completely done with the character.

30 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Please elaborate, which ones get a bad wrap? I wont disagree that they have pulled some darn good actors to play those guys, but that is probably why they have been sooo disappointing, and often downright bad villains. None of them have ever really ruined a movie, but it took a while for any villain other than Loki to ever have an impact on a film.

Not to mention the constant Mirror Image villain Marvel goes with in just about every Origin Film;

• Ironman vs Iron Monger (and honestly every other Stark-centric marvel film)
  • Thor vs Loki
  • The Incredible Hulk vs Abomination
  • Captain America vs Red Skull
  • Ant-Man vs Yellow Jacket
  • Doctor Strange vs Kaecilius 
  • Black Panther vs Killmonger (especially in the Golden Jaguar suit) 

I actually really liked Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stain, but once he is Iron Monger he is just generic bad guy again. Almost like they pulled him back in to do that last part after he was completely done with the character.

That was what I meant when I said bad rap, i.e. the introductory stories heavily feature mirror villains. I can completely understand how that would become somewhat redundant, but they've all been unique enough that I've personally enjoyed them. Again, just to get back to the original point, I think MBJ will pull off a good villain in this film, just personally didn't love what I saw from the trailers.

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

That was what I meant when I said bad rap, i.e. the introductory stories heavily feature mirror villains. I can completely understand how that would become somewhat redundant, but they've all been unique enough that I've personally enjoyed them. Again, just to get back to the original point, I think MBJ will pull off a good villain in this film, just personally didn't love what I saw from the trailers.

Thats fair. Was just wondering what you were looking for while we are still 4 months out from the release?

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Thats fair. Was just wondering what you were looking for while we are still 4 months out from the release?

Again, it's really just subjective. But compare MBJ's delivery of his lines in this trailer with Corey Stall in the Ant-Man trailer. It's most likely just an issue of context and editing, but Stall has much more gravitas with his delivery that lends itself to the lines feeling more impactful and setting the overall tone for his character. Didn't get quite the same feel from MBJ. Maybe others feel differently, but that's just how I personally felt hearing his lines. But again, a minor complaint with an otherwise fantastic trailer, and really does nothing to hinder my overall perception of the film.

7 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Again, it's really just subjective. But compare MBJ's delivery of his lines in this trailer with Corey Stall in the Ant-Man trailer. It's most likely just an issue of context and editing, but Stall has much more gravitas with his delivery that lends itself to the lines feeling more impactful and setting the overall tone for his character. Didn't get quite the same feel from MBJ. Maybe others feel differently, but that's just how I personally felt hearing his lines. But again, a minor complaint with an otherwise fantastic trailer, and really does nothing to hinder my overall perception of the film.

Ill have to go watch it again, but a few things. Are you talking about a trailer closer to the release hat featured more of his charachter? Or one like this where they are clearly trying to keep MBJ's charachter under wraps at this point?

And you just sited one of the villians in the MCU most thought of as wasted. Was it because of his actual performance? Or was it because we already knew everything about him? Honestly Stall just seemed like he was playing generic bad guy to me.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BLACK PANTHER is not screwing around. By far the most political Marvel chapter, to the point I had to remind myself this is a Marvel movie. BLACK PANTHER is a movie with a lot to say.

Marvels most political movie. So good.

..yay?

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

..yay?

Eh, Captain America: TWS was in a sense a "political" spy thriller. So, I would take that review with a grain of salt. There may be some tonal messages in the movie, but no way Marvel/Disney allows a project of this magnitude to veer too far off course into the realm of jeopardizing their box office margins.

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

but no way Marvel/Disney allows a project of this magnitude to veer too far off course into the realm of jeopardizing their box office margins.

Like they did with The Last Jedi?

I've seen maybe 4 Marvel movies. Glowing reviews on twitter brought me into this thread when I'd normally not have much interest (also since it's a hero I'm not at all familiar with adds to the novelty). Seeing reviews like the ones I quoted above gives me pause though.

7 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Like they did with The Last Jedi?

I've seen maybe 4 Marvel movies. Glowing reviews on twitter brought me into this thread when I'd normally not have much interest (also since it's a hero I'm not at all familiar with adds to the novelty). Seeing reviews like the ones I quoted above gives me pause though.

Eh, fair enough. However, I don't think Disney anticipated the kind of fan outrage TLA would receive. And to be fair, I can understand why. A lot of the changes fans disagreed with were more structural and integral to the nature of the Star Wars universe, not necessarily something overt like casting decisions or drawing parallels between Snoke and a real life world leader, etc.

Point being, I don't see Disney allowing something overt like highly politicized/controversial messages being woven into the fabric of the Marvel franchise.

Archived