Black Panther

Acgott

On 2/14/2018 at 11:47 AM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Thor is set in space and has literally nothing to do with BP, it's just a bookend for the Thor trilogy of movies it has a very minimal impact on the MCU.

Plus it's a comedy.

I wouldn't quite say that... In fact, after Civil War and Dr. Strange I would say it has the largest impact on the MCU of the Phase Three films.

Saw it. Liked it a lot, but think I liked Thor 3 more overall. I love Michael B. Jordan and I kept reading in here how excellent MBJ was but I left thinking he was the worst actor in the movie. I was so disappointed when

they killed off Klaw as I thought he was a much better villain

MBJ's delivery wasn't at the same level as the rest of the actors in the movie. His lines and acting took me out of the movie. CB was incredible, loved Lupita's and Danai's characters, and felt the politics in the movie were perfect. I would likely have put BP over Thor 3 if I had liked MBJ's Killmonger.

Who are possible villains for a BP2?

6 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Bruh... This film was everything I wanted it to be and everything I needed it to be. Been waiting for this since I first learned about T'Challa in like '96. It's like Ryan Coogler was in my head with how this film looked. Like even though I'm a fan I did not envision how Wakandan technology could really work in a live action movie and he just... he just captured it perfectly. Not to mention, this film was just black excellence. Like, there was a meme video 2 or 3 months ago like "This is what other people get to feel like when they go to the movies?" and it's so damn true. Like I really felt like this film was being coopted away from Blerds like myself but man... it's just empowering for some reason! Wakanda Forever my dude!

Man I saw a dude wearing a damn kente cloth over a suit a the premier lol. It really was incredible, I'm glad I saw it with a majority black crowd, was such a great experience.

It was good. I think it is vastly overhyped, but still a good flick. The CGI in the late fight scene between BP and KM was cringeworthy at moments. I think they needed to flesh out W'Kabi's motivations better. His character plays a crucial role in the flow of the plot and he isnt given the chance to really show why he does what he does. The moment between him and Tchalla after the mission in Korea could have been much meatier and should have been. They should have taken more opportunities to develop Killmonger as well. There were plenty of opportunities for him to have more time to shine in his interactions with Klaw but they focused more on Klaw (to fun effect mind you). I had a moment of confusion when Erik asks Klaw why he spread out the bodies at the heist and then when Ross explains (which also didn't make me happy that we had to get exposition on his skills like that) that Erik is some super black ops expert who is well versed in being a ghost and destabilizing governments I thought, why ask that question? The only thing I could think of was that he was trying to misdirect Klaw so he would keep his guard down. 

Again, mostly minor issues. It falls into some of the classic origin story tropes, which is somewhat unavoidable. Overall it was very good. I would give it a B-

Havent seen it and wont see it until it comes out on home video (dont go to theaters anymore), but it sounds like another success for Marvel.

Baffles me how these movies can all be entertaining and tie into the universe nicely, yet WB/DC can barely make a single coherent film.

10 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Havent seen it and wont see it until it comes out on home video (dont go to theaters anymore), but it sounds like another success for Marvel.

Baffles me how these movies can all be entertaining and tie into the universe nicely, yet WB/DC can barely make a single coherent film.

Wonder Woman would like to speak to you!

5 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Wonder Woman was okay, but overrated IMO.    It completely botched the main villain , some of the effects were awful and some of the dialogue is cringeworthy....all of these being ongoing issues with all of the DCEU movies.

With Marvel....most of the villains are done very well and have good motivations and development.   The effects in most of the movies are done well, and while it does have some cheesy dialogue, its no where close to some of the dialogue we have seen in the first 4 DCEU movies.   

44 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

WW was the last comic hero movie I made an attempt to get into because of the reviews, turned it off around 40 minutes in, I think it was the dialogue she had with that man in a boat? They were talking about sex. It was a terrible scene.

17 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

WW was the last comic hero movie I made an attempt to get into because of the reviews, turned it off around 40 minutes in, I think it was the dialogue she had with that man in a boat? They were talking about sex. It was a terrible scene.

It was maybe 2 minutes long.

Just now, TENINCH said:

It was maybe 2 minutes long.

Was just the feather that broke my back. My good friend loves the Marvel / DC adaptations and every now and then ropes me into one that mildly piques my interest because it's a new concept or hero. If I'm not hooked in a half hour I can't sit still for a 2.5hr movie.

Got my tickets for tonight. I'm honestly more excited for the post credits scene than I am the actual movie. Feel like its gonna be pretty good like most of the Marvel movies but also pretty overrated just like Spider-Man Homecoming (92% rotten tomatoes). Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm also not a big fan of Michael B. Jordan from what I saw in the trailer.  I felt like I saw him more than I did his character (similar to Stallone's character in Thor Ragnarok).

2 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Got my tickets for tonight. I'm honestly more excited for the post credits scene than I am the actual movie. Feel like its gonna be pretty good like most of the Marvel movies but also pretty overrated just like Spider-Man Homecoming (92% rotten tomatoes). Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm also not a big fan of Michael B. Jordan from what I saw in the trailer.  I felt like I saw him more than I did his character (similar to Stallone's character in Thor Ragnarok).

IMO, that is about true. I could never see Killmonger; Just Michael B. Jordan during the whole film.

4 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

IMO, that is about true. I could never see Killmonger; Just Michael B. Jordan during the whole film.

That's a bummer. Thought it was maybe just the way the trailer portrayed it. Oh well, still a Marvel movie so I will enjoy it

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Fair warning, don't get your hopes up for the post credit scene. Unlike previous ones, this one doesn't really tease much of anything or reveal anything the typical MCU fan shouldn't already know.

Saw it last night. It was really good. Definitely giving it a boost in the ratings for how symbolic the film was for people of color. With that said, as others have alluded to, there were quite a few minor issues with the film. Majority of which tied back to dialogue (which seemed overly dumbed down in parts) and a lack of exploration regarding certain character motivations. I wouldn't say either of those things hindered the overall experience, but it definitely stops it from being my favorite film in the MCU series.

Unrelated, but listening to the dialogue in this film and thinking back on the motivations of many MCU character's, I realized none of these films really immerse the audience in the main character's struggle nor tug on our heartstrings like the old Sam Rami Spiderman films did. I mean, just compare any series of dialogue to that of this scene from Spiderman 2:

That's just beautiful. As awesome and fun as the MCU films are, none of them hold a candle to this type of writing.

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Was just the feather that broke my back. My good friend loves the Marvel / DC adaptations and every now and then ropes me into one that mildly piques my interest because it's a new concept or hero. If I'm not hooked in a half hour I can't sit still for a 2.5hr movie.

I've never understood this. Superhero movies aren't all the same genre.

Archived