Scouting the NFL 2023 Draft Prospects

KingTitan

29 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Or better yet,

Would Malik stop you from drafting a QB that you love in the draft? If one was there.

in this draft i'm not sure there is a QB i love. bryce young is the closest thing and there's no chance he's available to us. i don't like stroud or levis at all and all the other guys are mid rounders that basically have the same shot to pan out that willis does, except none of them have his athletic traits (unless anthony richardson comes out....but then he's literally just an *even less developed* malik willis, lol). so this year, unless we somehow end up in position to consider bryce young, i would personally say no.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Would anyone draft Bo Nix? 
He has kinda reinvented himself at Oregon.

I like Nix quite a bit.  I have him as the third QB in this class.  He's got a big arm, and can make plays with his legs too.  Prototype size for a QB, and he can run a 2 minute or an 8 minute offense.  However, he does stare down his receivers really badly, and the offense they run at Oregon isn't exactly a pro style.  We'll see how he plays on the big stage in their bowl game, and how he looks postseason, but I think he's sniffing the first round.

48 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Or better yet,

Would Malik stop you from drafting a QB that you love in the draft? If one was there.

And yes, it would stop me.  As far as this class goes, I only see two, maybe three, that I think are better than Malik was last year, and that's Stroud and Young for sure, Nix maybe.  I had Malik as a late first/early second rounder, and that might be elevated a bit by the weak class, but as of right now, the only guys I think have a chance of being graded higher than that are Nix, Grayson McCall, and Anthony Richardson.

Hooker can't elevate his stock enough because he's injured and missing out on the offseason and part of next year too.  Richardson is similar to Malik, super raw, but super talented.  And McCall is a big question mark because of a lack of competition, and he's also injured.

Now, if you're asking me would I draft a QB at all, then the answer is a hell yes.  We get to round 5 and Hooker is still there, I absolutely take him.  Stick him on IR and you have your backup of the future with some upside without wasting a roster spot, regardless of what happens with Tannehill.

30 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

should've been literally anyone but a RB. he's a fine player but insanely bad value in the 4th. 

Agreed.  Romeo Doubs, Spencer Burford, Isaiah Likely, or Zach Tom would all have been better uses of resources, and better RBs went after him.

At least the OL talent this year is crazy deep.

Tons of great tackles, and even more fantastic interior guys.  James Patterson is potentially a better center than Linderbaum was last year, and Wypler, Vorhees, and Forsyth are not that far behind him.  Some really good undersized tackles would make great LGs, and I think, even without Fashanu, there are 5 first round OTs.  We should be able to add some excellent players to the OL and the receiving corps if we're smart and stop with the ****ty resource management.

Piggybacking off of the 2023 offseason thread, if we cut the obvious cuts, re-sign our young pieces, and spend our FA money on some depth receivers that are at least upgrades over NWI and co, but not much else.  As an example, based on who should be available as things sit now (mind, this will change drastically by the draft), we can get:

1. OT Anton Harrison, Oklahoma

2. TE Darnell Washington, Georgia

3. OL Olusegun Oluwatimi, Michigan

Right there, you get huge improvement on the OL, and a mismatch weapon that fits our weird offense.  Spend the remaining picks on BPA, and let our 2nd and 3rd year WRs sort themselves out.  We have some great weapons in Burks and Okonkwo.  We still need to see if McMath, Phillips, or Roberson are worth keeping around.  Maybe add more receivers and whatever good defensive players fall with out later picks.

We'd still be hurting at receiver, but not any more than we are now, and at least we have an OL and still a great defense.

9 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Would you take Anthony Richardson over Malik WIllis?

It depends on where he fell.  I think they grade out comparably.  Willis is probably a little faster, Richardson is taller and has a slightly better arm.  But they're very similar prospects: fast, big armed, toolsy QBs who need a lot of seasoning.  I wouldn't waste a first round pick on him at all.  Probably not a second either, unless of course, teams were interested in Willis and willing to give up that amount.

But otherwise, I don't see the point in drafting Malik Willis twice in a row.

richardson is basically the same prospect as willis. they've got some different qualities as players, but at the end of the day, he warrants being selected right about where willis was with the exact same rationale: a lottery ticket that isn't terribly likely to work out. 

• 2 weeks later...