Week 3 Thread: Philadelphia Eagles (2-0) "at" Washington Commanders (1-1) - 1 PM on FOX

MikeT14

I think if Rivera goes, there’s a good chance it will be in two stages. First stage is the part where they “strip” him of personnel duties and bring in an actual GM — or in this case, probably President of Football Operations or some BS, so that the person is not subordinate to the Martys.

Then will be stage two, where that bigwig will eventually be the one to make the call on Rivera as the coach. 

I kinda like this arrangement, if it goes that way. The new personnel guy comes in this offseason, starts to shape the team to his preferences. Rivera continues as the coach for year 4, then the new personnel guy decides whether it’s working (in which case you extend) or not. If not, then the new personnel guy gets to go pick out his own coach, with a roster that he’s already started work on. 

I have no idea what personnel guy is (a) available, (b) willing to work here, and (c) a big enough deal that you could reasonably elevate him over Rivera, Mayhew, and Hurney. But that’s the guy who will be the key to the future, in my view.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think if Rivera goes, there’s a good chance it will be in two stages. First stage is the part where they “strip” him of personnel duties and bring in an actual GM — or in this case, probably President of Football Operations or some BS, so that the person is not subordinate to the Martys.

Then will be stage two, where that bigwig will eventually be the one to make the call on Rivera as the coach. 

I kinda like this arrangement, if it goes that way. The new personnel guy comes in this offseason, starts to shape the team to his preferences. Rivera continues as the coach for year 4, then the new personnel guy decides whether it’s working (in which case you extend) or not. If not, then the new personnel guy gets to go pick out his own coach, with a roster that he’s already started work on. 

I have no idea what personnel guy is (a) available, (b) willing to work here, and (c) a big enough deal that you could reasonably elevate him over Rivera, Mayhew, and Hurney. But that’s the guy who will be the key to the future, in my view.

I like this. Kind of when McCloughan came in, but then Dan scrapped that & gave all the control back to Bruce Allen a few years later. If Dan does that, he needs to stick to it. If Rivera leaves, so be it.

I want to go young coordinator should Rivera fail to provide us a playoffs team this year. 

52 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Kyle Smith?!?!? 🤣🤣 I personally would try and poach the head scouting person from under Roseman. They are forward thinking with how they use and move draft picks. They draft with a idea and keep too it. I would have chose the guy that went to the Giants with Dabole gosh I can’t spell. The problem with going after a personel guy is Snyder is going to talk with HIS outdated friends and would end up with a dated name trying to rekindle a streak of success they probably never could. This team needs a younger person to pair with a veteran staff. Like it takes two views in this league. You don’t want to be so raw you ignore proven methods but you don’t want to be so dated that you are building with a Dinosaur outdated philosophy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Kyle Smith?!?!? 🤣🤣 I personally would try and poach the head scouting person from under Roseman. They are forward thinking with how they use and move draft picks. They draft with a idea and keep too it. I would have chose the guy that went to the Giants with Dabole gosh I can’t spell. The problem with going after a personel guy is Snyder is going to talk with HIS outdated friends and would end up with a dated name trying to rekindle a streak of success they probably never could. This team needs a younger person to pair with a veteran staff. Like it takes two views in this league. You don’t want to be so raw you ignore proven methods but you don’t want to be so dated that you are building with a Dinosaur outdated philosophy.

Or the Ravens 

2 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

At this point I rather us just go with a fresh  face .

I understand wanting a fresh face but it’s hard to ignore 9 out of 15 years double digit wins ( 4 years/13 wins)with a .631 winning percentage and a Super Bowl Win. 
30 years of mediocrity and taking a chance on someone new, don’t know about that. 

With our luck he most likely wouldn’t come here anyway. 

On 9/21/2022 at 9:33 PM, IHatesnyder said:

Won’t matter because our DL going to underachieve regardless .

Our DL isn’t what it was the last few years. We are missing Chase & our depth at DT - Ioannidis & Settle not being on the team & Chase not being back from his knee injury really hurts our D.

Allen & Payne are playing more snaps than they’ve played the last 4 years.

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I understand wanting a fresh face but it’s hard to ignore 9 out of 15 years double digit wins ( 4 years/13 wins)with a .631 winning percentage and a Super Bowl Win. 
30 years of mediocrity and taking a chance on someone new, don’t know about that. 

With our luck he most likely wouldn’t come here anyway. 

I hear you, but my fear is that he comes here and becomes washy. How ever I do like the idea of him and Carson wentz joining together . Our offense would be top ten and Sean Payton defenses got better over the year .

I like Ron Rivera but he needs to be fired if we only win 7 games .

50 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Our DL isn’t what it was the last few years. We are missing Chase & our depth at DT - Ioannidis & Settle not being on the team & Chase not being back from his knee injury really hurts our D.

Allen & Payne are playing more snaps than they’ve played the last 4 years.

Corners either 

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Or the Ravens 

Yeah because honestly they’ve drafted very well. They’ve done well at developing a good chunk of those guys too though. Though that are mismanaging Hamilton unless they want to develop his weaknesses. But his natural fit isn’t where he’s playing

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I kind of think that as well. The only thing with that is how much control he would want and how much power Jerry would be willing to give up. 

Very true. If Sean Payton wants total control - which honestly I’m done giving to HCs - then he won’t get it in Dallas. As much as I like Payton, I don’t think giving any HC total control of football operations is smart. It just doesn’t work, except for Belichick, but only when he had Tom Brady to execute the offense & Belichick could mostly just focus on building the D. Now that Brady has left their team doesn’t quite look the same & may never be a Super Bowl contender again.

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Yeah because honestly they’ve drafted very well. They’ve done well at developing a good chunk of those guys too though. Though that are mismanaging Hamilton unless they want to develop his weaknesses. But his natural fit isn’t where he’s playing

The thing about the Ravens is they’ll try someone out in a position, realize it isn’t working & then move them to a role they can exceed it. I guess we did that last year w/ Collins & Jamin but historically Washington doesn’t do that very often.

Also what I like about how teams like the Steelers, Packers, Eagles, Ravens, Bills, Chiefs, etc etc build their team, they really pay attention to undrafted free agents & get ones who fit their system. They go hard after those guys, they develop them over a few off-seasons & seasons & sometimes they become major contributors.

Washington has had some success with that but not enough for my liking. We need to do better at prioritizing UDFAs & developing those guys into back up players w/in a few years who may even become more than that in time.

• Like 1