Week 3 Thread: Philadelphia Eagles (2-0) "at" Washington Commanders (1-1) - 1 PM on FOX

MikeT14

15 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think if Rivera goes, there’s a good chance it will be in two stages. First stage is the part where they “strip” him of personnel duties and bring in an actual GM — or in this case, probably President of Football Operations or some BS, so that the person is not subordinate to the Martys.

Then will be stage two, where that bigwig will eventually be the one to make the call on Rivera as the coach. 

I kinda like this arrangement, if it goes that way. The new personnel guy comes in this offseason, starts to shape the team to his preferences. Rivera continues as the coach for year 4, then the new personnel guy decides whether it’s working (in which case you extend) or not. If not, then the new personnel guy gets to go pick out his own coach, with a roster that he’s already started work on. 

I have no idea what personnel guy is (a) available, (b) willing to work here, and (c) a big enough deal that you could reasonably elevate him over Rivera, Mayhew, and Hurney. But that’s the guy who will be the key to the future, in my view.

So my guess at what happens is Rivera basically does the Brad Stevens deal. He moves up to team president and GM solely and Scott Turner takes over as head coach. Rivera is going nowhere. Dude basically named the team. I wouldn’t be shocked if we find out at some point he’s a partial owner. Small percentage of course but still. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 5:40 PM, Jroc04 said:

Meh, it’s really early in the season to know who anyone is for real. I’ve watched the Eagles evolve 2-3 times in the last couple years. I think it’ll be a good game. 

I've watched this team over 20+ years of Snyder. We don't win these games. Especially with Lloyd and Harry running things on the field.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The thing about the Ravens is they’ll try someone out in a position, realize it isn’t working & then move them to a role they can exceed it. I guess we did that last year w/ Collins & Jamin but historically Washington doesn’t do that very often.

Also what I like about how teams like the Steelers, Packers, Eagles, Ravens, Bills, Chiefs, etc etc build their team, they really pay attention to undrafted free agents & get ones who fit their system. They go hard after those guys, they develop them over a few off-seasons & seasons & sometimes they become major contributors.

Washington has had some success with that but not enough for my liking. We need to do better at prioritizing UDFAs & developing those guys into back up players w/in a few years who may even become more than that in time.

I agree. I def am not trying to get over excited because teams will adjust but if Forrest continues and he and Curl really are schemed properly I will say I think not picking Hamilton if Forrest continues and grows man that just makes the Dotson selection really even better. Loved Hamilton but it’s nice too see possibly 3 maybe even three mid round guys take over the saftey and nickle spot or 3 saftey formations this staff wants too use like a lot of modern teams. Hopefully Butler shows enough at some point and can add his speed and ability too these versitile players of Forrest and Curl

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 10:21 PM, turtle28 said:

I seriously don’t even know how much I’m going to watch this game at this point. I’m growing very tired of Rivera. @naptownskinsfan was correct. I can not listen to his press conferences & him acting like how they’re starting games & playing on D isn’t a big deal. I wanted to give Rivera a chance when we hired him & I have. I expected Rivera to come to Washington & be aggressive in building this team into a winner like we used to be. He has been a good leader of men, but he’s been passive, not aggressive, in how he’s build this team.

It’s the 3rd year, he & the team must be better. In Shanahan’s 3rd year we were 10-6 & won the division. In Gibbs 2.0 & Gruden’s 2nd years we played good to great on both sides of the ball most of the time & went to the playoffs.

The two examples which will always stick out to me in the Rivera era are:

1) 2021 Rivera didn’t do much of anything to improve the offense but he drafted Jamin & signed WJ3 & McCain  to improve our secondary but they haven’t. 

Then, this past offseason he did the exact opposite. He brought the band back on D & even made it worse talent wise by cutting Ioannidis & Collins instead of just restructuring their deals. 

So, while our O is clearly better this year - well at least our passing game - our D looks as bad as it ever had the last 13 years since 2010 when Shanahan was hired & proceeded to make our D worse than what it was from 2004-2009 under Gregg Williams & Greg Blache.

Because we "won the division" in his first year (a dumpster fire of a division) so "we're only a guy or two away".

Winning the division that year set us back quite a bit when you look at the near-term and long-term effects of draft position, available deals for picks, front office decisions on players, etc... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So my guess at what happens is Rivera basically does the Brad Stevens deal. He moves up to team president and GM solely and Scott Turner takes over as head coach. Rivera is going nowhere. Dude basically named the team. I wouldn’t be shocked if we find out at some point he’s a partial owner. Small percentage of course but still. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see this honestly.  Snyder doesn’t want to be out there anymore, and Rivera is the perfect fall guy to put everything out there.  It’s the opposite of Bruce Allen.  

We’re dead in the water if it does happen.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Because we "won the division" in his first year (a dumpster fire of a division) so "we're only a guy or two away".

Winning the division that year set us back quite a bit when you look at the near-term and long-term effects of draft position, available deals for picks, front office decisions on players, etc... 

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I agree. I def am not trying to get over excited because teams will adjust but if Forrest continues and he and Curl really are schemed properly I will say I think not picking Hamilton if Forrest continues and grows man that just makes the Dotson selection really even better. Loved Hamilton but it’s nice too see possibly 3 maybe even three mid round guys take over the saftey and nickle spot or 3 saftey formations this staff wants too use like a lot of modern teams. Hopefully Butler shows enough at some point and can add his speed and ability too these versitile players of Forrest and Curl

Ahh you said the most scary words amongst the fanbase “schemed properly,” thus, I have little faith. I hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t have much faith in Del Rio & this defensive staff to put these guys in position to succeed.

They just haven’t done it except for the 2nd half of 2020 when we faced all back up QBs but 3 & for one month last year before COVID & injuries derailed what had developed into at least a mediocre D in Nov & early Dec.

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I wish he'd deveop a lot faster -like Hutchinson for the Lions !

I don’t know that Sweat is ever going to be “that guy.” He is kind of like a more athletically gifted Orakpo. Sweat probably tops out as a very good DE, but not elite. There’s a reason why guys like Travon Walker & Hutchinson go top 5.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know that Sweat is ever going to be “that guy.” He is kind of like a more athletically gifted Orakpo. Sweat probably tops out as a very good DE, but not elite. There’s a reason why guys like Travon Walker & Hutchinson go top 5.

he was projected top 5-10 until the heart issue was reported.