Week 3 Thread: Philadelphia Eagles (2-0) "at" Washington Commanders (1-1) - 1 PM on FOX

MikeT14

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is such a BS excuse by Keim, Ron and pretty much anyone else who trots it out.

We have/had the ability to create room to sign anyone we wanted. We chose not to. We could've easily converted Carson's salary this year to a bonus and that would've created around $17m in cap space. We still can.

Honestly we can work out cap situation 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

But they have to commit to him beyond this year 

It's a small amount and one that will get swallowed with the cap rising. Additionally, it was clear he was gonna be here for longer than one year. And the way he's playing now, he most definitely will be brought back by the front office. So with that in mind, why not open up the space to resolve roster holes?

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

It's a small amount and one that will get swallowed with the cap rising. Additionally, it was clear he was gonna be here for longer than one year. And the way he's playing now, he most definitely will be brought back by the front office. So with that in mind, why not open up the space to resolve roster holes?

I gotta see the cap on our players  to see how much cap we can open . 

7 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

Think wentz comes back for sure , even if we miss the playoffs .

There is no point in paying Wentz if we miss the playoffs. If he’s not good enough to get this team there then he’s not good enough to pay almost $30M. You can throw Howell out there if we aren’t making the playoffs anyway. 

12 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

I don’t think it’s a bad move , I’m huge on wentz but last thing we want to do is invest than  godforbid something happens . 

If  we release henickie we get about 3-6 mil open I believe .

I think you might want to ask the 49ers if it is a good idea to release your backup QB just to save $6M.

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

But they have to commit to him beyond this year 

He's still got two years on his contract after 2022. Or have I missed something by basically taking the offseason off and shaking my head at the Commanders?

Is it the roster bonus ($5M) coming due on March 17, 2023? I think I am with Thai in that can be absorbed. If you look at https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2023/cap-hit/, you will see that a $31M cap hit would be the 11th highest for a QB and 14th overall.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

He's still got two years on his contract after 2022. Or have I missed something by basically taking the offseason off and shaking my head at the Commanders?

Is it the roster bonus ($5M) coming due on March 17, 2023? I think I am with Thai in that can be absorbed. If you look at https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2023/cap-hit/, you will see that a $31M cap hit would be the 11th highest for a QB and 14th overall.

Hardly any guaranteed money after this season so he can be cut without penalty if he doesn’t work out.

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Hardly any guaranteed money after this season so he can be cut without penalty if he doesn’t work out.

Very true. But they would have to do that before the beginning of the 2023 league year (March 17). If they don't, $4M of his salary guarantees and he gets a $5M roster bonus. So, in essence, by doing nothing, they would be endorsing him due to his contract language.

21 minutes ago, Woz said:

Very true. But they would have to do that before the beginning of the 2023 league year (March 17). If they don't, $4M of his salary guarantees and he gets a $5M roster bonus. So, in essence, by doing nothing, they would be endorsing him due to his contract language.

We’ve made moves before then, so I’m not worried about that. 

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We’ve made moves before then, so I’m not worried about that. 

Absolutely we have.

I'm just saying that by standing pat, they will still commit (including a pay bump) to Wentz if they want to keep with him. Only if they want to terminate Wentz do they have to do something active.