Week 3 GDT: Texans @ Bears, 9/25/22, 12:00 CT

beardown3231

When I watched practice at family day what was encouraging is this staff emphasizes fundamentals in a way previous one did not. 

Yes, they did tackle poorly in last game.  But they spend good time practicing tackling and doing other basic fundamental drills.  And they do it right.  I didn’t like all the ways last staff taught fundamentals.   Not every pro team does that.  

A lot of this is just on players. They need to do better.  

Some guys just aren’t good tacklers and never have been.  Watch college tape of Gordon.  Packers saw that too.  They attacked him in run game.  

Bears defense overall is not designed to stop run and it showed.  Neither is Packers defense for that matter, but theirs is better than Bears.   That is reason many teams have built power run games in last handful of years.  Zigging and zagging.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Not sure if this is legit but if it is it could be a case of being part of the ramp up…was practicing on Wednesday but not the next two…could we see him practice closer to game day? Would make sense if he is closer to a return.

What do you mean? Yesterday was Wednesday and he didn't practice which means he didn't practice at all yet this week

My money is that it is legit because the Bears are wearing their throwback uniforms this Sunday and they usually practice in their game uniforms the week leading up to said game

19 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If they can't find a trade partner (which would probably take for the Giants to agree to take on the majority of the contract) then they almost have to keep him. Releasing him would create 25M in dead money. The Giants only have 5.4M in cap space and they would take a 4.3M hit to release him, plus they would have to add Antonio Williams' 750k to the top-51.  This would only leave them with ~400k (although there are ways to gain a few mil).

Man what a terrible contract. And I'm not only saying that in hindsight either.  Daniel Jones didn't show enough in college or his first 2 years to warrant investing 70M on a average WR to build around. That's a double whammy.

Now watch Golladay go off on the Bears next week like he did in Detroit lol.

I don’t think calling Golladay an average WR (at the time of signing) is fair. 2018-2019 he was pretty damn good (70/1063/5 and 65/1190/11) before getting hurt in 2020 heading into FA. But, he hasn’t been nearly the same player since, and now is totally out of favor. That contract in FA coming off a serious injury also highlights the risks in what we’re approaching next offseason though, doesn’t it? We’re almost certainly going to have to overpay some WR in FA because demand will almost surely exceed supply. 

Even if NY could find a way to trade him away with the dead cap factor, they’d almost have to send away a pick along with him at this point unless they retained almost all of his salary. They may be able to mitigate some of the immediate dead cap by designating him a post-6/1 cut provided they didn’t already meet their max for that for 2022.

Looking ahead to next offseason and beyond, would getting Golladay for a song right now be as much an upside addition as anything else potentially available to us? Might be. And financially beyond 2022 I don’t think it’s a huge risk either - from what I can tell looking at the roster I think the only post-2022 guarantees remaining on his deal are roster bonuses in 2023-2024 worth $8M combined.

Everything is about value and risk though, right? Would I trade a late round pick or do a pick swap of some kind to take Golladay off their hands today? Yeah. It’s not perfect by any stretch but he probably can’t be worse than featuring ESB, and when he’s right he’s a lot better. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think calling Golladay an average WR (at the time of signing) is fair. 2018-2019 he was pretty damn good (70/1063/5 and 65/1190/11) before getting hurt in 2020 heading into FA. But, he hasn’t been nearly the same player since, and now is totally out of favor. That contract in FA coming off a serious injury also highlights the risks in what we’re approaching next offseason though, doesn’t it? We’re almost certainly going to have to overpay some WR in FA because demand will almost surely exceed supply. 

Even if NY could find a way to trade him away with the dead cap factor, they’d almost have to send away a pick along with him at this point unless they retained almost all of his salary. They may be able to mitigate some of the immediate dead cap by designating him a post-6/1 cut provided they didn’t already meet their max for that for 2022.

Looking ahead to next offseason and beyond, would getting Golladay for a song right now be as much an upside addition as anything else potentially available to us? Might be. And financially beyond 2022 I don’t think it’s a huge risk either - from what I can tell looking at the roster I think the only post-2022 guarantees remaining on his deal are roster bonuses in 2023-2024 worth $8M combined.

Everything is about value and risk though, right? Would I trade a late round pick or do a pick swap of some kind to take Golladay off their hands today? Yeah. It’s not perfect by any stretch but he probably can’t be worse than featuring ESB, and when he’s right he’s a lot better. 

I'd consider a 5th, but even that would give me pause because, even if you ignore the contract, the injury risk with him is way too high for my liking.  He's only played a full season once in 5 years and will be 30 years old on November 3rd next year (the age at which most WRs start to see a decline). 

I'd much rather double dip in mid-late rounds and develop 2 young WRs on rookie deals than trade for Golladay.  If Poles is going to use resources to trade for a WR (which looks like he might have to) then I would rather it be someone without an extensive injury history.

Golladay is literally breaking down from head to ankle.

Year/Week Team Status Injury
2021 Week 14 NYG Questionable Ribs
2021 Week 9 NYG Questionable Knee
2021 Week 8 NYG Questionable Knee
2021 Week 7 NYG Out Knee
2021 Week 6 NYG Doubtful Knee
2021 Week 5 NYG Questionable Groin
2021 Week 4 NYG Questionable Hip
2021 Week 1 NYG Questionable Hamstring
2020 Week 21 DET Questionable Hip
2020 Week 20 DET Questionable Hip
2020 Week 19 DET Questionable Hip