Week 3: Lions (1-1) at VIKINGS (1-1)

swede700

Game 3

NFL_Vikings_zpsce61d576.gif?width=320&hevs NFL_Lions.gif?width=320&height=320&fit=b

When:  1:00 PM EST September 25th

Where: US Bank Stadium (Minneapolis, MN)

TV/Radio: FOX (TV), KFAN 100.3 (Radio); 

Announcers:  Brandon Gaudin, Brady Quinn, Megan Olivi (TV);  Paul Allen, Pete Bercich, Ben Leber (Radio)

Coverage Map:  https://506sports.com/2022/03-FOX-E.png

Notable Injuries:

Vikings - Questionable: LB Eric Kendricks (toe), Doubtful: None, Out: CB Andrew Booth (quad), S Harrison Smith (concussion)

Lions - Questionable: RB D'Andre Swift (ankle), TE TJ Hockenson (hip), C Frank Ragnow (foot), DL Aidan Hutchinson (thigh), Doubtful: None, Out: OG Jonah Jackson (finger), DL John Cominsky (wrist)

Please keep all discussion about the game here.

Edited by swede700

38 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

On Saturday, I would have said “close game, but on to 3-0.”

This isn’t your normal Detroit team. 

But it will be a close game. On to 2-1…

that's the spirit!

it being a home game should help greatly. shake it off, boys. move on.

• Like 1

This might not be the same old lions but it still seems like the lions at home is a good chance to right the ship. 

I'm not overly confident though. Hurts had very few throws into tight windows.  That's the biggest thing that has to change imo. Hopefully they can improve with more time in this scheme and we aren't back with the 3-4 version of Fraziers defense

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Hurts had very few throws into tight windows.  That's the biggest thing that has to change imo.

Much like Eagles DC Gannon adjusted from week 1 to week 2, I'd expect the wily veteran Donatell to do the same. Agreed that we don't want to leave Amon-Ra St. Brown as wide open as we did some of the Eagles WR's.

Hutchinson is off to a hot start so this will be another good test for Darrisaw and O'Neill.

As was stated in the Eagles thread I'm very curious to see how the KOC Vikings respond to a beat-down.

• Like 1

Second overall pick Aidan Hutchinson made his first appearance on an NFL injury report after missing practice with a thigh injury.

Hutchinson had three sacks in the first half of last Sunday’s win over the Commanders, but suffered what Dan Campbell called a charley horse after a shot to his leg. There was no sign of concern about his availability for this weekend’s game against the Vikings, although that could change if Hutchinson continues to miss time.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/21/aidan-hutchinson-out-of-practice-with-thigh-injury/

Think how awesome it would be if Mike Hughes was still on the team?   Solid slot corner with ability to play the boundary and he has been very solid since he left Minnesota, had a 8 tackle game last week, and a 10 and a 9 tackle game on the Chiefs last year.  I would take him over Sullivan as a slot every day of the week.  I would also take Jerry Jacobs as a slot corner over Sullivan all day also, Jacobs played great against us last year.  

Might be just me but Kendricks is not as impactful in this new defensive scheme, same can be said for Danielle Hunter and Harrison Smith.  All were better the previous years, maybe still getting used to the new system, it is nuts how lacking Hunter is on the edge in terms of his quickness and lack in power.  He was a terror as a 4/3 DE, not the case as a 3/4 OLB, and Z. Smith is the one playing great not Hunter which is a surprise.  Sure Smith and Kendricks are getting tackles but not making impactful players it seems.

Maybe Hunter is still a bit hurt, who knows but all three of those guys are just so so this season.  Could argue Patrick Jones and Wonnum have taken to the 3/4 more than Hunter has.  

50 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Think how awesome it would be if Mike Hughes was still on the team?   Solid slot corner with ability to play the boundary and he has been very solid since he left Minnesota, had a 8 tackle game last week, and a 10 and a 9 tackle game on the Chiefs last year.  I would take him over Sullivan as a slot every day of the week.  I would also take Jerry Jacobs as a slot corner over Sullivan all day also, Jacobs played great against us last year.  

Might be just me but Kendricks is not as impactful in this new defensive scheme, same can be said for Danielle Hunter and Harrison Smith.  All were better the previous years, maybe still getting used to the new system, it is nuts how lacking Hunter is on the edge in terms of his quickness and lack in power.  He was a terror as a 4/3 DE, not the case as a 3/4 OLB, and Z. Smith is the one playing great not Hunter which is a surprise.  Sure Smith and Kendricks are getting tackles but not making impactful players it seems.

Maybe Hunter is still a bit hurt, who knows but all three of those guys are just so so this season.  Could argue Patrick Jones and Wonnum have taken to the 3/4 more than Hunter has.  

Your takes are really weird, why would you want, Mike Hughes and his passer rating of 116.3 and a 90% completion rating over Chandon Sullivan and his passer rating of 85.4 and completion rating of 75%? Sullivan has been targeted 4 times in 2 games vs Hughes 11....

Also, Danielle Hunter had a sack and 6 tackles vs the Eagles compared to Z Smith's 0 sacks and 2 tackles. It was a poor scheme with Donatell choosing to contain and play a cover 2 rather than pressuring Hurts. FYI, Danielle has more tackles and sacks in the season than Zadarius too. 

8 hours ago, Wundy said:

Your takes are really weird, why would you want, Mike Hughes and his passer rating of 116.3 and a 90% completion rating over Chandon Sullivan and his passer rating of 85.4 and completion rating of 75%? Sullivan has been targeted 4 times in 2 games vs Hughes 11....

Also, Danielle Hunter had a sack and 6 tackles vs the Eagles compared to Z Smith's 0 sacks and 2 tackles. It was a poor scheme with Donatell choosing to contain and play a cover 2 rather than pressuring Hurts. FYI, Danielle has more tackles and sacks in the season than Zadarius too. 

What are you talking about?  Z. Smith in each game had multiple QB hits, and tackles for losses and a sack in each game.  Hunter is the one to not get any of those in the last game.  

And those are just numbers, watching the game Z. Smith collapsed the pocket multiple times, or changed the direction of the play because he blew up the blocker be in the OL or the RB.  He is a force and holding the edge very well and usually moves his blocker backward or gets by them to cause disruption to the play.  The guy has made way more of an impact than Hunter has, so yes he is struggling so far with the transition to a 3/4 based on lack of impact and production.

As for Sullivan, watching the game Hughes makes more of an impact, sure Sullivan was not targeted against much but that is because so many others are wide open especially against the Eagles.  Where was he at on those?  Dantzler probably had the best game of his career especially those three plays in a four play stretch, but I expect much more production and impact out of a slot corner than just being around.  He should be the one blitzing off the edge, getting tackles for loss and tackling aggressively in the open field which is what Mike Hughes has done the past two years.  Sure they get beat especially when playing a solid slot receiver in specific offenses but the dude at least shows up.  

Few plays I have seen from Sullivan he actually changes what is happen and is not just there, make a play, get your hands on the football at least which sometimes did at Green Bay but honestly I barely noticed him then either and never considered him this elite slot corner at all.

Either way they gave up almost 500 yards against the Eagles so to be saying anyone did well last week, well they did not outside of many Dantzler for those few plays.