Week 3: Lions (1-1) at VIKINGS (1-1)

swede700

Dan Campbell was daring on Sunday, until he wasn't.

After trusting his offense to convert numerous fourth downs against the Vikings in a game the Lions controlled from almost start to finish, Campbell opted for a field goal on Detroit's final drive when a first down would have sealed the game -- and watched it blow up in his face when Austin Seibert missed from 54 yards and the Vikings scored a touchdown three plays later to steal a 28-24 win.

Campbell:  "For me, I freaking regret my decision there at the end. I should have gone for it there on fourth down. I told the team that, I should have gone for it."

https://www.audacy.com/971theticket/sports/detroit-lions/dan-campbell-hated-his-big-decision-in-lions-loss?utm_campaign=www.audacy.com%2F971theticket&utm_content=1664140300&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=WXYT-FM&fbclid=IwAR2ZkHw8-a7Uk1Uo2q6B37XaMtmtozsKijtOi28Q3GJPh6hP-be0mzGKvTU

15 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

At the time I thought attempting the field goal made some sense but I was still glad when they were lining up for it

I think it made some sense too because it was still 4th and 4 or 5.  Yes, they had been effective on 4th down, but if they didn't make it, the game likely still would have gone the same way.  Yes, Siebert was only 2/5 in his career from 50+, but if he makes it, the Vikings still have to go the distance to get the TD to win.  It's a tough call to make...he just made the wrong one.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I agree then (didn't even think of that)...that probably would have been a better option.

Yeah, I think this is a very good Lions team. Even with Goff. Talent-wise, they may be the 2nd best team in the division. Much like last year, they're going to play very hard and be in most games, but Dan Campbell is going to lose them a lot of those winnable games. When those L's from coaching decisions start adding up, there's a chance he could lose the locker room spectacularly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Yeah, I think this is a very good Lions team. Even with Goff. Talent-wise, they may be the 2nd best team in the division. Much like last year, they're going to play very hard and be in most games, but Dan Campbell is going to lose them a lot of those winnable games. When those L's from coaching decisions start adding up, there's a chance he could lose the locker room spectacularly. 

I probably don't think that'll happen because I think he's going to be a better head coach than Tice.  🤣

Edited by swede700