Week #3 GDT: Raiders @ Titans: No Polls, No Frills, Just Holes to Fill

ronjon1990

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yes sir and that’s on the coaches imo 

Preparation and execution are two different things. The game plan has looked good and worked in phases. There have been some errors in execution which is to be expected with a new scheme and lots of new players. Especially when you have holes in the roster. It's going to be a work in process.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Preparation and execution are two different things. The game plan has looked good and worked in phases. There have been some errors in execution which is to be expected with a new scheme and lots of new players. Especially when you have holes in the roster. It's going to be a work in process.  

I hear you but if they’re not executing properly then you do something as a coach not just sit there and watch ship  sink. 

For example: 4th qtr vs Ariz tell carr idgaf we are going to run and don’t audible unless it’s to another run play

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I wasn't a huge fan of signing guys in their early 30's to massive deals but I also see the theory of what they are trying to accomplish.  We had a team devoid of talent, that was very clear to anyone who objectively looked at this roster but I also understand coming in as a HC/GM and wanting to win now which is what they are striving for.  We had a massive amount of turnover on the roster and to expect all of these new players gelling game 1 is unrealistic, however with the influx of proven talent we have received (Adams, Jones) with the quality core players that were retained (Carr, Jacobs, Maxx, Waller, Renfrom, Moehrig, Miller) we should have a competitive team.  

My issue was signing big $ guys when we should have been trying to piece together a solid line.  Good is the only player I give them a pass on but he was still an injury risk.  I like having great offensive weapons but you need a line first.  Edge players needed to get to the QB but if he can just step up all you do is make him a little uncomfortable.  We were cheap on the base so we could make splash moves.  As much as I like certain players we had to sacrifice in other areas to bring them in or resign them.  On top of that we had to correct the mistakes of the previous FO.  We all knew that not everything was going to get fixed year one but we ignored what needed to be fixed right away.  

Honestly we can have all the excuses in the world for why this team is 0-2 and we can debate who to blame.  If this team does not come out and give 60 minutes of effort no matter the outcome that is on McDaniels.  I do not care if it is Carr.  If a player starts taking plays off they are getting benched.  

16 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Exactly, flat out insanity.  We are two games into a 17 game season and should be 1 and 1 if not for an unfortunate fumble by a solid player.  

We have a new HC, new coordinators, many new players at key positions and fans think this should be a well oiled machine right out of the gate.  

I've heard it all, fire JM and DZ, bench Carr for Stidham, Jones is washed and now is a bum.  All massive overreactions as it is very clear that many fans overestimated the talent of this fraud playoff team from last season which is one of the main reasons that JM and DZ came in and cleaned house. They knew exactly what we had talent wise going into the offseason which was not much.  

This season is far from over and even though this team is still talent and depth depleted this is the best overall roster we have had in 20 years.  It will take time to start hitting on all cylinders and I am pretty confidant that we will beat the Titans this week.  

If this team misses the playoffs this year do I consider that a down season?  I will have to wait until the end of the season to reserve judgment on the players and staff as there will need to be context as to why we missed it.  II had a feeling we would start out slow, which we have done but catch fire soon which I believe will happen, all of this doom and gloom **** will be a moot point. 

Agree with a lot of this, particularly the last paragraph. It’s easy to be black and white and say the season is a failure if we fail to make the playoffs but there is a lot which can go into that and the context is crucial. The devil is in the detail.

I will be disappointed if we miss the playoffs, absolutely, as I feel we have a roster capable of at least getting there, however, we’re also in the hardest conference and don’t have an easy schedule with new coaches throughout, scheme and lots of new players. I want to see progress, signs of potential and signs that we’re getting comfortable and starting to excel within those schemes. If we still look disjointed in week 10 in this scheme then I’ll be very concerned. We need a bit of patience here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Agree with a lot of this, particularly the last paragraph. It’s easy to be black and white and say the season is a failure if we fail to make the playoffs but there is a lot which can go into that and the context is crucial. The devil is in the detail.

I will be disappointed if we miss the playoffs, absolutely, as I feel we have a roster capable of at least getting there, however, we’re also in the hardest conference and don’t have an easy schedule with new coaches throughout, scheme and lots of new players. I want to see progress, signs of potential and signs that we’re getting comfortable and starting to excel within those schemes. If we still look disjointed in week 10 in this scheme then I’ll be very concerned. We need a bit of patience here.

Under normal circumstances I would agree about being patient and having a transition year with a new front office.  If that is the case and they expected that then blowing almost all of your assets in year 1 is very short sighted if you only gave your self a 3 year window.  Even more of a reason to try and build the trenches and solidify the foundation of the team only in year 1.  See where you need to improve in the offseason and have more assets and a smoother transition into year 2.  Now since we do not have a lot of cap space and a 2 year window we are more likely to acquire help through trades with our picks because we will not have time to wait on rookies if they are not instant impact players.  This will further erode the teams ability to maintain a high level of play over time.  Now this does not have to work out this way but it becomes more likely as our assets dwindle and our window shrinks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Exactly, flat out insanity.  We are two games into a 17 game season and should be 1 and 1 if not for an unfortunate fumble by a solid player.  

We have a new HC, new coordinators, many new players at key positions and fans think this should be a well oiled machine right out of the gate.  

I've heard it all, fire JM and DZ, bench Carr for Stidham, Jones is washed and now is a bum.  All massive overreactions as it is very clear that many fans overestimated the talent of this fraud playoff team from last season which is one of the main reasons that JM and DZ came in and cleaned house. They knew exactly what we had talent wise going into the offseason which was not much.  

This season is far from over and even though this team is still talent and depth depleted this is the best overall roster we have had in 20 years.  It will take time to start hitting on all cylinders and I am pretty confidant that we will beat the Titans this week.  

If this team misses the playoffs this year do I consider that a down season?  I will have to wait until the end of the season to reserve judgment on the players and staff as there will need to be context as to why we missed it.  II had a feeling we would start out slow, which we have done but catch fire soon which I believe will happen, all of this doom and gloom **** will be a moot point. 

The problem is not the roster. The roster has been built to compete now. The plan based on all the signings that were made is that there is a three year window(including this year) to win NOW. 

it's either A. Dave Ziegler put together a great off-season and McDaniels and the team is not doing what needs to be done in order to win(at least so far in the season)

or be this is one of the worst bit rebuilds in terms of strategy. here are my reasons

-if this is a rebuild you don't trade a first round pick for Devante Adams at 29 years old(nor does Devante Adams leave Green Bay(Who let me remind everybody, took less money playing for the Raiders then the Packers offered him) if he thinks this is a rebuild)

-sign 30 year old Darren Waller to a three-year extension

-Sign Hunter Renfrow to an extension before his contract runs out

-give Chandler Jones 17 million to be a mentor

-tie up the cap With all of these moves so that we have no ability to sign anyone else in the foreseeable future(next year and beyond) 

let's not fool ourselves the team needs to win and they expected to win. we're not doing the let's throw away this season after two games. Because that was not the plan

37 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Under normal circumstances I would agree about being patient and having a transition year with a new front office.  If that is the case and they expected that then blowing almost all of your assets in year 1 is very short sighted if you only gave your self a 3 year window.  Even more of a reason to try and build the trenches and solidify the foundation of the team only in year 1.  See where you need to improve in the offseason and have more assets and a smoother transition into year 2.  Now since we do not have a lot of cap space and a 2 year window we are more likely to acquire help through trades with our picks because we will not have time to wait on rookies if they are not instant impact players.  This will further erode the teams ability to maintain a high level of play over time.  Now this does not have to work out this way but it becomes more likely as our assets dwindle and our window shrinks.

Exactly. This is why in March I said I don't wanna hear any built-in excuses. and that was before we started signing the players to extensions.