Week #3 GDT: Raiders @ Titans: No Polls, No Frills, Just Holes to Fill

ronjon1990

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Carr looked the best with Nelly I honestly would’ve kept Nelly and zay and just add through the draft

You know, that's not a bad take either. 

Nelly and Carr definitely meshed well. 

Zay looks, dare I say, good in Jacksonville so far and wasn't terrible last year when called on. 

Nelly, Zay, Renfrow, Waller, and Moreau wouldn't be a bad group of pass catchers. If Hollins still somehow wound up here, even better. 

It wouldn't be a cast of stars as it is with Adams, but what has that gotten us so far? 

16 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Zay looks, dare I say, good in Jacksonville so far and wasn't terrible last year when called on. 

Nelly, Zay, Renfrow, Waller, and Moreau wouldn't be a bad group of pass catchers. If Hollins still somehow wound up here, even better. 

It wouldn't be a cast of stars as it is with Adams, but what has that gotten us so far? 

Best way to win games is to feed the running back and control the clock.

think raiders should go with that approach the browns are doing it as well as the eagles and cowboys .

pound the rock than take shots down field 

10 minutes ago, IHatesnyder said:

Best way to win games is to feed the running back and control the clock.

think raiders should go with that approach the browns are doing it as well as the eagles and cowboys .

pound the rock than take shots down field 

The lack of run game here is astonishing. 

It's been a bright spot, and it's almost like JMD hates it 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Continuity is very underrated. Sometimes what you’re looking for is right under your nose. I’m a draft freak so I hate wasting picks trading for players. We always end up getting sloppy seconds and the player’s old team replaces them with cheaper younger player easily. Adams is a baller but I’d take my chances with the draft

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

They look better when when the coach knows how to use them properly

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

The lack of run game here is astonishing. 

It's been a bright spot, and it's almost like JMD hates it 

Part of it is safe to say he thinks very highly of Carr or else why would he take the job. Therefore why not sling and put in the hands of the QB with all these weapons at his disposal 

1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

Part of it is safe to say he thinks very highly of Carr or else why would he take the job. Therefore why not sling and put in the hands of the QB with all these weapons at his disposal 

Not to compare the two, but it highlights a problem-

Matt LeFleur thinks very highly of Aaron Rodgers, too. Now, Green Bay didn't have the overall weapons we had, but they weren't totally atrocious in that category either. 

But LeFleur leaned particularly heavy into the run game early on with the RBs despite having, at the time, the best QB in the game. 2019 was a "down" year for Rodgers, statistically, and he followed up with one of his best in 2020.

That, to me, differentiates a stellar play caller that can be a HC and one that probably can't. 

It's one thing to like a guy. No doubt LeFleur likes having Rodgers as his QB. But LeFleur eased him into the system instead of assuming his scheme + greatest QB in the league = immediate success and great stats. 

Now, that's not to say it's a firm rule. Matt Stafford and Sean McVay created some sweet magic last year, albeit with some ugly INT numbers. But it was a quick meshing. 

What I am saying is that very few, of any, QBs are truly plug and play, especially if they've just learned a new system or multiple ones. A good HC can check the ego and whittle the sides of a square peg down to fit it into a round hole. With complex passing schemes, that's usually best achieved by leaning into a run game if it's not horrendous- which ours isn't. 

And that's where I differentiate coaches- are they willing to check the ego? Matt LeFleur went through 2019, and I vividly remember the talking heads crowing about how Rodgers won't be cool with the run heavy scheme, it's wasting his arm talent, etc. Did he want to be labeled as the offensive genius that had Aaron Rodgers and barely got him over the 4000 yard mark and got only 24 TDs out of him? I doubt any coach would want that label. But he trusted his process, adapted, and it's paid off pretty well other than not having a ring. 

In our case, will McDaniels ego allow him to not want to be the QB whisperer? Over the summer, people were talking about Carr eclipsing or getting close to 5000 yards, mid-high 30's in TDs, etc. I very much pointed out that some of Brady's best statistical years came without McDaniels and that the numbers weren't going to be as flashy as some think- for Carr, Adams, etc. What I didn't expect was that it would come from diminishing returns spurred on by becoming totally one-dimensional and falling to the lack of balance. That makes me wonder if Josh's ego is too big for his own good. 

It seems almost elementary that we would have either been fairly run heavy from the start, or, that we would've adjusted by now. I think you're right- he wants to sling that sucker around and be the toast of the town. But I think it's a misguided approach to keep forcing it when it happens to be one of those times more balance and less flash would probably do us some good.

• Like 2