GDT - Week 11: Washington Redskins vs. New Orleans Saints

turtle28

The Washington Redskins travel to New Orleans to take on one of the league’s hottest teams, best all around offenses and a surprisingly emerging defense fueled by an abundance of young talent.

The Saints started the season of 0-2 and struggling with Adrian Peterson drama. Pundits were talking about this being Brees’ last year in New Orleans and blowing the whole front office and coach staff up and starting over. 

Then, Peterson was traded away and they’ve been on a 7 game wining streak, only the second team in nfl history to do so after starting the year off 0-2. The other being the Dallas Cowboys w/o Emmit Smith who was holding out for a new contract and Emmit Smith returned they went on to win the super bowl.

Needless to say this game will be one of the Redskins toughest tasks of the season, especially since it is in the dome at New Orleans. The Saints look vastly different than the team the Redskins whooped up on at home in 2015, especially on defense.

The Redskins have been known to step up and play well against the best competition and eventhough they haven’t won all of those games; 2-4 against the league’s top teams.

Oppo Research

This week the Redskins take on the 7-2 Saints in New Orleans. The Saints have one of the best record in the league and have won 7 straight after starting the season 0-2. 

Needless to say this is a huge game, the Redskins have almost beat the best teams in the NFL in close games the 1st half of the season. They battled the Eagles twice, Chiefs and Vikings in games that could have went either way. There have been some crucial mistakes by Cousins, the WRs, the OL & a few blown coverages and missed tackles by the defense that have sealed their fate in these games, particularly at the end of 1st halves and games. 

This is certainly a must have. The Redskins can’t afford to go down 2 games in the loss column. If they do lose, it almost seals their fate in hopes of making the playoffs but it still won’t be impossible to make the playoffs. 

The Saints pose a great test. They have an elite quarterback who has thrived spreading it around to his new toys and the Saints have found a running game with Ingram and the rookie Kamara.

They also have a good receiving TE in Coby Fleener and TEs have killed the Redskins for what seems like a decade and especially the last few years. DJ Swearinger and our ILBs have to do a better job of covering Fleener. I’m not sure what we’ll so tomorrow but I suggest the LBs jamming him at the  line of scrimmage, and then using Swearinger to cover him. If that means we have to take an ILB off the field an insert a 6th DB at times then so be it. We know that Brown and Spaight can’t cover him.

The Saints on defense have been great this year. Their front 7 has been much better than in years past and they have Cameron Jordan at DE who is one of the best DL in the NFL. They have young talent at linebacker. Their secondary has been revamped the past two years with draft picks and veteran acquisitions. They drafted CB Marshawn Latimore from Ohio State in round 1 and he’s played elite coverage all year. Last but not least they have one of the best young safety trios in the NFL with the veteran Kenny Vacarro who plays more like a WLB, Von Bell a 2nd year do everything safety from Ohio State and Marcus Williams a rookie free safety from Utah. They will make it tough on the Redskins weapons throughout the game.

The Redskins

The Redskins were literally one bad Cousins pass at the end of the half and a few poor coverage plays from winning last week and having back to back wins at Seattle and vs Minnesota.

I expect the Redskins defense to be better this week - even w/o their best interior DL still - I don’t expect them to continue to get beat so much in coverage because they just have too much talent.  I expect them to be more sound in everything they do. Our OLBs & DL must get more consistent  pass rush that it did last week.  The Redskins must get Brees on the ground if they are going to win this game. They can’t expect the coverage to hold up for 5 seconds, even if Bree & Norman play better this week.

On offense the passing game has gotten better in the last few months than it was in week 1 and while Cousins still hasn’t found great chemistry with his receivers, he has with Thompson and his TEs.

The OL has vastly improved since a horrible week 1 performance and the running game has shown flashes but still remained inconsistent.

Injuries

The Redskins continue to struggle with injuries all over their team. The OL has battled injuries the last month and it’s shown, Cousins has taken a beating lately and our OL has struggled to open up holes for our running backs.

Jordan Reed will miss a 3rd & a half game with his hamstring injury. His loss has affected Cousins. Crowder should return after missing last game with a hamstring injury.

With Kelley out for the year, it’s finally Perine’s time to shine and I really expect him to do well. Thompson will continue to be a receiving and rushing threat. The saints have a great pass defense but still have a questionable run defense so this may be an opportunity for Perine and especially Thompson to have a big game.

Pryor will miss the game but that may be a blessing in disguise because the last two weeks both Harris and Quick have made some big catches for Cousins which has got to help his confidence in them to make plays. If Doctson steps up and Crowder returns to his form from a few games ago then our Wrs could look as good as they’ve looked all year.

On defense we miss Allen & Ioannidis immensely. Free agent acquisitions McClain, McGee and Hood have not been the same players that Allen and Ioannidis were for us when they were healthy and playing together in the nickel D the first month of the season. 

With Compton out for the season we will see Spaight start and get his audition for the starting job for next season. We also may see some of JHC as a dime ILB in passing situations. The converted college safety looked as though he could be a good coverage ILB for the skins in the future this preseason.

I expect this game to be close like all the skins games have been this year. Either team could win and it will come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes.

PREDICTION:

Redskins: 31

Saints: 24

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Redskins: 31

Eagles: 24

Lol. Good write up otherwise. 

Huge game. Not a lot of faith that we can pull this one out unless we are perfect. Saints are playing at a very high level. We easily could give up over 500 yards of offense against them.

27-17 Saints

Hopeful prediction 31-27 Redskins, but unlikely.

33 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Huge game. Not a lot of faith that we can pull this one out unless we are perfect. Saints are playing at a very high level. We easily could give up over 500 yards of offense against them.

27-17 Saints

Wouldn't say unlikely we have beaten the saints at there best ever .

35 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

27-17 Saints

Sounds like what everyone said before the Seattle game in Seattle. ;)

14 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

The saints can not stop the run .

i haven't paid attention to them all year

So how do you figure you have enough intel to make this statement? Lol, sounds kind ridiculous making this claim (despite the Saints being ranked exactly middle of the pack, and run D improving EVERY week) when Washington ranks 24th in rushing yards per game. So who do you think is going to run on those Saints "who can't stop the run"? I'll let you think that over.

Anyway, didn't come here to talk trash. I'm actually most interested in how you guys think Kirk Cousins will play in this game. He will certainly be one of the better QBs we have played. How is the OLine? I feel like the deciding factor in this game will be decided by the Washington's OLine and Cousins against the Saints DLine. The Saints front four (and 7 occasionally) have been really getting after everyone. And any weaknesses on the OLine will be exploited. Cam Jordan has been playing a monstrous year and Okafor has been doing great as well. They have made it really easy for the young but talented secondary to shine, especially Lattimore. How have your wide receivers been?

I expect our Offense to move the ball with the whole OLine finally healthy (as they were last week). And I expect them to try to start early and often on the ground. I have been holding my breath all year, because I am not used to the Saints playing like this again and I keep waiting for the dream to end. I want to say I expect a win, but I feel like Cousins may keep this closer than I would like, if the Washington OLine keeps him upright. Good luck tomorrow, hoping for no injuries.

2 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

So how do you figure you have enough intel to make this statement? Lol, sounds kind ridiculous making this claim (despite the Saints being ranked exactly middle of the pack, and run D improving EVERY week) when Washington ranks 24th in rushing yards per game. So who do you think is going to run on those Saints "who can't stop the run"? I'll let you think that over.

Anyway, didn't come here to talk trash. I'm actually most interested in how you guys think Kirk Cousins will play in this game. He will certainly be one of the better QBs we have played. How is the OLine? I feel like the deciding factor in this game will be decided by the Washington's OLine and Cousins against the Saints DLine. The Saints front four (and 7 occasionally) have been really getting after everyone. And any weaknesses on the OLine will be exploited. Cam Jordan has been playing a monstrous year and Okafor has been doing great as well. They have made it really easy for the young but talented secondary to shine, especially Lattimore. How have your wide receivers been?

I expect our Offense to move the ball with the whole OLine finally healthy (as they were last week). And I expect them to try to start early and often on the ground. I have been holding my breath all year, because I am not used to the Saints playing like this again and I keep waiting for the dream to end. I want to say I expect a win, but I feel like Cousins may keep this closer than I would like, if the Washington OLine keeps him upright. Good luck tomorrow, hoping for no injuries.

What for ? There D been doing better lately there O always good and that we always play the saints tough.

do I have to seriously watch the saints to undeestand brees is amazing and the O is always good?

1 minute ago, Dashing202 said:

What for ? There D been doing better lately there O always good and that we always play the saints tough.

do I have to seriously watch the saints to undeestand brees is amazing and the O is always good?

I was commenting on your first post in this thread which was "The Saints can't stop the run".

2 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

O tbh I herd that from the radio if I'm wrong I'm wrong if I'm right that's cool . Skins haven't had 100 rushing since week 2 so it's a wait and see 

I gotcha. I live in VA, and I gave up on Washington sports radio a while ago xD Junkies are good for a laugh but seem more like box score guys. Chad Dukes is the only fella on the waves that seemed to know whats what. But I moved to Richmond some months back and now the only sports talk is CBS national radio shows. So I drift between those and a podcast of Saints talk from a radio show back in NOLA.

Edited by navysaintsfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

I was commenting on your first post in this thread which was "The Saints can't stop the run".

I guess saying the saints can’t stop the run is an incorrect description but saying that’s the weakest part of their defense would not be.

7 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

I gotcha. I live in VA, and I gave up on Washington sports radio a while ago xD Junkies are good for a laugh but seem more like box score guys. Chad Dukes is the only fella on the waves that seemed to know whats what. But I moved to Richmond some months back and now the only sports talk is CBS national radio shows. So I drift between those and a podcast of Saints talk from a radio show back in NOLA.

Junkies, Cooley & Kevin, The Lockeroom w/ Brian Mitchell & Doc Walker, Steve Czaban & Scott Lynn, Grant & Danny and Chris Russell or Craig Hoffman before Chad Dukes Imo. Dukes puts on a shock radio type show, he has good guests like Santana Moss and Others but he’s not an expert of sports and doesn’t know much detail. He’s basically a much lesser version of the junkies but he’s only one guy and I hate that. They need to find an ex-player who can give us good analysis next to his blowhard comments like Kedric Golston or Will Montgomery etc

Edited by turtle28