Week 3 - Detroit Lions @ Minnesota Vikings 1:00 PM

Sllim Pickens

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

i know it doesn't mean anywhere as much as a win, but every single Vikings fan is impressed with the Lions. you're not the same team you've been for 20 years.

Campbell better hope he finishes the season with more than 6 wins. Starting your tenure on par with Patricia may eventually lead to yet another rebuild.

1 hour ago, cp0k2 said:

Going into the game I thought it would be a close loss, and if I didn't watch the game and just saw the score I'd be fine with it. But watching the game, Detroit should have won and probably by a couple of scores. Seeing the team come out and dominate again only for the offense to sputter and the defense to collapse is disheartening. Last week St. Brown and Swift were healthy enough to make big plays late to keep pace with Washington's onslaught against the collapsing defense, today they weren't. I would also like to know if the ultra-conservative and vanilla playcalling the last two drives was mandated by Campbell or if Ben Johnson decided on his own to play the prevent offense. 

I would like to know also because we did the same thing last week against Washington. I doubt Campbell would tell us if it was Johnson, but ultimately, it's on the coach to dictate the game. 

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Campbell better hope he finishes the season with more than 6 wins. Starting your tenure on par with Patricia may eventually lead to yet another rebuild.

The dude leading the band wagon to keep Patricia on for another year now thinks it's time to consider moving on from MCDC???

Patricia took over a roster "ready to compete for championships" and drove it into the ground.

MCDC took over one of the least talented rosters in the NFL with a terrible cap. 

The two situations are no where alike. 

• Like 2

Look, this loss stings but none of us expected this to be a win going in. The most brutal part is not even a FG, it's the injuries. 

We have Seattle at home next week. I expect the Lions to win and be 2-2 going to NE before our week 6 BYE. 

I expect the BYE week to be used to figure out where we stand on the injury front. 

ARSB, Swift, Jonah, Ragnow, Jameson, Cominsky, Onwuzurike, Paschal, Hutch, R.Okwara, Walker, Amani, Jacobs, etc.

17 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

The big difference: if we get 4 yards, the game is over. If we get the FG, the Vikes still win it with a TD.

I also trust Goff and Co. getting a 4th and 4 more than I trust Seibert getting a 54 yard FG.

(For the record: I was saying this as they lined up for that FG.)

This is my biggest gripe.  If the FG gave us a 7 point or more lead, then you kick the FG.  If not, you go for it or punt it and make them go the whole field.  But knowing our defense and the lack of rest they got down the stretch, you have to be aggressive there and try to win the game with the offense, especially on the road. I'd rather go down trying than lose because we got conservative. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

This is my biggest gripe.  If the FG gave us a 7 point or more lead, then you kick the FG.  If not, you go for it or punt it and make them go the whole field.  But knowing our defense and the lack of rest they got down the stretch, you have to be aggressive there and try to win the game with the offense, especially on the road. I'd rather go down trying than lose because we got conservative. 

Couldn't agree more.

We watched the Eagles do it Week 1, and we've watched Rodgers do it forever. Go for the throat and end the game. If you still lose, at least you went for the win.

Campbell has acknowledged as much. I guess we'll see if it changes anything moving forward.

• Like 2

This was definitely a disappointing loss, especially given how well we played at times.  The injuries are an issue and again show our lack of depth.  We have solid backup RBs and Reynolds and Chark are decent but it shows how valuable ARSB and Swift are as threats that open it for others.  

The defense needs some help. We lack the talent still on every level and when we go three and out that lack of talent shows itself more often.  I wish we could see something out of Joseph or Iffy at some point but guessing their development is slow hence the lack of snaps.  AO seemed rusty yesterday.  Was nice to see Okudah play well again but hurts when he has JJ locked up and Theilin and Osborne run around uncovered.  

I'm still confident in this team and the coaches but this one hurts, and falls squarely on the coaches.  I hope they learn from it and make better choices in the future.  We need to win games we should, and next week we should win.  Similar to the Washington game, this is a must win IMO for the season to finish with 7-9 wins.  

• Like 3

I haven't been able to watch the games the last two weeks, so I can't really contribute as much as most of you guys. 

While I do appreciate Dan Campbell being aggressive on 4th downs, we had a lead and tried to convert (unsuccessfully) in our territory, leading to a Vikings score. It's a situation like that where I feel like Campbell needs to be a bit more constrained and just use your weapon in Jack Fox to play field position. When you're winning, you're looking at a 54 yarder with a kicker that just missed... go for it. The game felt like a tale of two "4th and 1" attempts - one that they should have punted and another they should have gone for. 

• Like 1