Jimmy Garoppolo V Kirk Cousins

mdonnelly21

Better QB  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Better QB

• Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Kirk Cousins

Kirk has the better arm talent, and never misses a game. But he crumbles in big moments/games inexplicably. 

Jimmy for whatever reason, and despite all evidence to the contrary seems to pull enough of a rabbit out of his butt to help lead the 49ers to wins in big games...even if he tries to throw away the game in the process. But his arm is limited, gets away with a lot of turnover-worthy plays, and he can't stay healthy.

Both are overpaid. Well, Jimbo was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdonnelly21 said:

These two are quite even IMO. Yes Kirk is more of an air it out thrower, but Jimmy seems to be a better decision maker

Who ya got? 

Just curious what this is based on? His int rate is substantially higher (especially over cousin's Minnesota tenure) as is his sack to pressure rate. 

The only thing Jimmy g does better as a QB in my opinion is win games. Which... You know...is kind of a big deal lol. 

• Like 1

I really want to say Kirk as he definitely is a more talented thrower of the ball, but he, for whatever reason, can’t ever seem to close out games.

Jimmy is very good at getting the ball out quick and eats over the middle of the field, but he’s also good for at least one bone head throw per game. Jimmy also has a little bit of gamer/clutch to him.

I think what it comes down to for me is wins. I’ve seen both of these guys on loaded teams and Jimmy have more success. I’ve also seen Niner teams when Jimmy went down and how much of a difference he made. 

17 hours ago, GW21 said:

I think what it comes down to for me is wins. I’ve seen both of these guys on loaded teams and Jimmy have more success. I’ve also seen Niner teams when Jimmy went down and how much of a difference he made. 

I don't think Kirk has ever played on anything close to the 49ers 2019 team or even this year's 2022 team. The 2019 vikings were probably the closest and the 49ers were still a substantially better team than that Vikings squad. 

The second part of that is unfair. Kirk actually stays healthy. He's missed one game in his Vikings tenure and it was a disaster for the vikings. They looked awful (last year, second game against the packers). We just don't have the sample size of Kirk being out. Mullens / Beathard are closer to third string guys than they are starters, so of course there would be a substantial difference between what the 49ers are with them and with Jimmy, whom for all his faults is at least a competent NFL starting qb. 

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think Kirk has ever played on anything close to the 49ers 2019 team or even this year's 2022 team. The 2019 vikings were probably the closest and the 49ers were still a substantially better team than that Vikings squad. 

The second part of that is unfair. Kirk actually stays healthy. He's missed one game in his Vikings tenure and it was a disaster for the vikings. They looked awful (last year, second game against the packers). We just don't have the sample size of Kirk being out. Mullens / Beathard are closer to third string guys than they are starters, so of course there would be a substantial difference between what the 49ers are with them and with Jimmy, whom for all his faults is at least a competent NFL starting qb. 

The injury thing is far from a knock on Cousins; it’s obviously a big hit to Jimmy G. I was just illustrating how important Jimmy has been to the success to these loaded Niners teams.

My thing with Kirk is that he took over a 13-3 team fresh off a NFC title game appearance and proceeded to go 8-7-1 and miss the playoffs while putting up pretty numbers. Had a good year again in 2019 going 10-6 and lost in the divisional round to the 49ers, then cam back and went 7-9 & 8-9; each year putting up impressive numbers. He’s always going to have pretty numbers, but seems to find a way to lose by taking a crucial sack late in the game or airmailing a ball at the end.

This game today was almost a perfect example of that. It was 4th and 8 and he just sailed a pass out of bounds nowhere near Theilen. Luckily Detroit is Detroit and gave them another chance, but had that been against a more ‘seasoned’ team, he wouldn’t have had another shot at it. 

Maybe being from South Dakota and knowing a bunch of Vikings fans in addition to being a 49er fan makes me a bit biased, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard my sister-in-law or other Vikings fans who live in the area complain about a crucial sack, fumble, or INT from Cousins late to lose them a game. 

When he’s not hurt or in the playoffs, Jimmy has been reason we’ve won a number of games or been in a position to win games late - like the Packers game last season. Jimmy for his faults has a bit of gamer/clutch in him that Cousins lacks imo. 

I’ll go ahead and hit myself with this one to save you some time:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886twlthatq8nzak249c6

Cousins is always going to put up pretty numbers that may not mean wins, where Jimmy usually wins ugly. They’ve both had good teams around them, although I concede that lately Jimmy has had a better supporting cast.

Either way, this isn’t a hill I’m prepared to die on. All I know is that Cousins is the GOAT of Pizza Ranch commercials. 

• Like 2