Week 3 GDT Texans @ Bears

lumberjackchris

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Okay, get something for your family. I wouldn’t dare suggest putting something as sad as Chicago or Houston permanently on skin. 

My pops ain't teach me much but he did always say only bet on yourself. Everyone else will let you down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

For the record - today sort of proved our front seven and LBs aren't really good. I don't care if they're fast if they can't make basic tackles.

We need a QB, but Will Anderson might be a more important add. This defense needs a tone setter.

Granted, Will Anderson is great but the Texans need a franchise talented QB in the worst way. This draft is QB heavy with elite talent. Unless they know of someone in the 2024 draft I'm not familiar with, 2023 may be their best chance at getting their signal caller. If they do go QB, they might want to get him some weapons too because they are completely void. This roster is bad.

That was a tough one to watch. Honestly the defense surrendering 280 yards rushing is completely unacceptable, and completely embarrassing. Defense starts with defending the run and that is as bad as I've seen. We were one of the worst rushing defenses in the league last season, and through three games it's just as bad if not worse. (and Montgomery barely played)

Few other thoughts:

-Pierce can't fumble 2 times. It's something he can correct but can't give the guy the ball if he doesn't hold onto it. 

- Thought Green played well at LG. 

- Mills hasn't been good enough through three games. Still young and hopefully can find his groove and there is a long way to go this season. No reason to panic about him. He has 17 games to show what he can do. Right now he looks like a backup QB but he'll get the season to prove he's more than that. 

- Cooks wasn't good today. He's got to catch some of these more difficult passes. I get that Mills hasn't been delivering perfect balls but you expect your best player to make those plays.

- Obviously Pitre had good stat sheet game, but he also missed multiple tackles. Hes not wrapping his arms and has a bit of a hit and miss tackle style. 

- Tackling as a whole was awful. 

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

For the record - today sort of proved our front seven and LBs aren't really good. I don't care if they're fast if they can't make basic tackles.

We need a QB, but Will Anderson might be a more important add. This defense needs a tone setter.

Agreed, and we need Caserio to find a mid round thumper at MLB

14 hours ago, Blaze said:

Granted, Will Anderson is great but the Texans need a franchise talented QB in the worst way. This draft is QB heavy with elite talent. Unless they know of someone in the 2024 draft I'm not familiar with, 2023 may be their best chance at getting their signal caller.

I don't disagree on the QB, and if they have a guy who meets their requirements, pick him. Don't draft a QB just to draft a QB - make sure he's the right guy.

The way I see it, both a stalwart defender and a franchise QB are attainable, it just depends on WHICH QB/defender you want. 

- If you think the top QB at 1.1 is considerably better than the one you can get at 1.15ish (wherever Cleveland ends up) then you take the QB. As far as I can see, the difference between Bryce Young/CJ Stroud and the 2nd tier guys aren't that much; I actually would prefer guys like Levis, Hooker, etc. I don't see much making any guy a slam dunk at the position, but I'm just one guy.

- If you think the top defensive player at 1.1 is considerably better than the one you can get at 1.15ish, then you take the defender. Based on what I've read, Will Anderson is the best player Nick Saban ever coached (and he's coached some good ones). I'm not a huge fan of getting a position over QB, but if this team could locate a Myles Garrett-type presence, this defense turns around.

There's no easy choice here, and pretty much every choice will be second guessed until said rookie plays. 

14 hours ago, Blaze said:

If they do go QB, they might want to get him some weapons too because they are completely void. This roster is bad.

This is the first year where Nick Caserio is going to have a budget (a $70mm available cap, right?) so he needs to eschew the bargain bin 1-year guys for some actual contributors. Now, this doesn't mean he should go out and pay Christian Kirk $84mm (no matter how well Kirk is playing) but he needs to find 2-3 upper tier guys who can come in on multi-year deals and contribute for a period of time. Guys like Bears ILB Roquan Smith, Bengals S Jessie Bates, Colts edge Yannick Ngakoue, etc - guys who aren't signing small deals.

Don't go crazy, but improve the quality of FA signing.

1 hour ago, tab said:

not to over-react but if we dont get a real franchise QB by the 2024 draft, i dont think this team will win a superbowl in my lifetime

If they don't, I'm actually expecting a Detroit Lions/Cleveland Browns/Jacksonville Jaguars like run of ineptitude - several years of double digit losses in a row, new HC/GMs every 2-4 years, rotating cast of characters on the roster, etc. 

It'll be ugly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't disagree on the QB, and if they have a guy who meets their requirements, pick him. Don't draft a QB just to draft a QB - make sure he's the right guy.

The way I see it, both a stalwart defender and a franchise QB are attainable, it just depends on WHICH QB/defender you want. 

- If you think the top QB at 1.1 is considerably better than the one you can get at 1.15ish (wherever Cleveland ends up) then you take the QB. As far as I can see, the difference between Bryce Young/CJ Stroud and the 2nd tier guys aren't that much; I actually would prefer guys like Levis, Hooker, etc. I don't see much making any guy a slam dunk at the position, but I'm just one guy.

- If you think the top defensive player at 1.1 is considerably better than the one you can get at 1.15ish, then you take the defender. Based on what I've read, Will Anderson is the best player Nick Saban ever coached (and he's coached some good ones). I'm not a huge fan of getting a position over QB, but if this team could locate a Myles Garrett-type presence, this defense turns around.

There's no easy choice here, and pretty much every choice will be second guessed until said rookie plays. 

This is the first year where Nick Caserio is going to have a budget (a $70mm available cap, right?) so he needs to eschew the bargain bin 1-year guys for some actual contributors. Now, this doesn't mean he should go out and pay Christian Kirk $84mm (no matter how well Kirk is playing) but he needs to find 2-3 upper tier guys who can come in on multi-year deals and contribute for a period of time. Guys like Bears ILB Roquan Smith, Bengals S Jessie Bates, Colts edge Yannick Ngakoue, etc - guys who aren't signing small deals.

Don't go crazy, but improve the quality of FA signing.

I've been watching some film of Hooker & Levis and I think both will make good pros. I just hope Caserio puts an emphasis on QB's who can move instead of a statue game manager type.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blaze said:

I've been watching some film of Hooker & Levis and I think both will make good pros. I just hope Caserio puts an emphasis on QB's who can move instead of a statue game manager type.

Hooker reminds me of the last QB we drafted in the 1st. As long as he keeps his hands to himself, he'd be a nice fit.

• Like 1