2023 NFL Draft Class

jetsfan4life51

Just now, rickyt31 said:

I'm cool with signing Ward. If we're not spending most of our money on a QB, I can see us going for one splash like Bates and sign a few cheaper vets. I just don't see another position we need a starting vet for. All the other positions can be upgraded through the draft. Also, the salary cap is expected to jump above $220M. 

QB is hard to figure out.  None of them are firesure for JD.

In case of no qb, I have been thinking about McGlinchey as big splash signee for Jets as Becton and Mitchell should become solid back up role.   Brown or 1st round T should handle LT.

Did you see any ZBS action against Vikings? I swore I saw none on outside.

10 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

QB is hard to figure out.  None of them are firesure for JD.

In case of no qb, I have been thinking about McGlinchey as big splash signee for Jets as Becton and Mitchell should become solid back up role.   Brown or 1st round T should handle LT.

Did you see any ZBS action against Vikings? I swore I saw none on outside.

That's very possible, but it depends on what direction we go with the oline. We can cut Tomlinson, move AVT back to OG with Herbig. Resign Fant, then have Becton, Fant, and Mitchell battle it out for RT#1, RT#2, and LT#2. Then draft a LT. 

We could also keep AVT at OT. I loved McGlinchey out of college. He would be a good pick up pending on what we decide to do. 

I'm not counting on Brown returning until he says he's coming back. He's going to be 38 by the time next season start and he's been on the injury report all season. There were reports that some thought he was going to retire after he got hurt early in the season. If he shows up, great. He's perfect for depth and a lead example for the next rookie. 

At the moment we are in no man's land for our needs.  Lots of WRs, CBs, OTs.  Wouldn't be upset if a team in the top of the 2nd round (LV) wanted to move up for a QB and we took their 2nd plus a future.  I know, I know...we are good and need to bring in talent now, but I also like having the ammo in case we need to make a move in 2024.  But our value currently lies in Day 2.

I just finished the draft simulation for Jets. Value today was easily out of whack but I went with what I could take there.

22. S Brian Branch, Alabama.

3 top available prospects for that pick were Trenton Simpson, Antonio Johnson and Brian Branch. I eliminated Simpson because I have Jets signed back Quincy Williams (Starter) and Kwon Alexander (Mix in) on right price. Plus, Simpson' man coverage merits some serious concerns to stay on the field longer.

Johnson and Branch could end up having similar NFL results but for now I opt for Branch due to 2 year production against one year production. I have not dug deeper to find out what went wrong with Johnson as he played 9 games. For now, I go by statistic/production.

52. DT Jaquelin Roy, LSU.

He has good pass rush skill set and his run stopping ability is not far behind. With NFL coaching, he could become a complete DT in year 2 or 3. Also, when taking him for that spot, he was best DT available.

83. LT Matthew Bergeron, Syracuse.

I believe he will be gone by 2nd round in real life but here I didn't waste my time and took him immediately. He has good length and athleticism to be franchise LT. Not to mention, he is in good shape, weight wise. lol.

Ah... I regret to inform you that I picked him over Jarrett Patterson and Luke Wypler as I had Jets brought Connor McGovern back for other 3 years.

123. LB Owen Pappoe, Auburn.

Speed should warrant 2nd round value for him but why should I argue with that?  That would be the biggest regret if I took Simpson in 1st.  Back to Back round stealer Jets are. Hmmm.

156. WR Dontayvion Wicks, Virginia.

He has all tools to be number 2 WR without any question. His 2022 production was down badly due to out of whack offense in Charlottesville. As late round flyer, I would be happy to take his talent in place of Jeff Smith. Blocking skill leaves something to be desired, though. Crossed fingers.

Traded away 6th round pick for 2 following picks.

205. TE Josh Whyle, Cincinnati.

Tall and leaner TE can spell in Elijah Moore's spot for red zone events. White is tall and over the head thrower and Wilson tends to throw too high so having 6 6 receiver should be helpful. Just don't let go of him like Jets did with Lawrence Cager.

209. OL Earl Bostick Jr., Kansas.

Last game I noticed a lack of ZBS activity which is bad news for Jets who made effort to bolster running game via ZBS last offseason.  Injuries and White being pass first pocket thrower may be reasons for that today but I add more athletic OL to the roster just in case if Jets are stubbornly sticking to ZBS next year.

Edited by JetsandI

12 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Not familiar with Roy. Is he better than Dexter?

I like Mazi Smith if we are going Round 3. 

I didn't see Dexter in 2nd round. That could mean either him being taken earlier or his value was lower that time.

I saw Smith in 3rd so apologies if you are actually upset with the draft progress. lol.

4 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Mims shouldn’t be kept, Davis is always hurt, Moore has had a down year, Berrios needs to remain a gadget player. I wouldn’t be upset if we went WR in the 1st because the value will be there. 

White played 3 games.  Not enough to dismiss Mims and Berrios. If they play together longer they should be seen in positive way.

Edited by JetsandI