2023 NFL Draft Class

jetsfan4life51

3 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Time will tell mate. I wanted Lamar when he came out and lots on here said he was garbage. If he’s in the right organisation I feel he will become a superstar. Obviously if rushed and not developed properly he will fail (like all young qbs) 

I agree time will tell and I was one of those guys that did not want Lamar and I still don't want him. To me he still does not throw a good ball and the only reason he had a great year was the NFL was not ready for such a fast guy that can make average throws. Once they started to contain him it was down hill and now he takes more hits too. Just like Bobby said his legs go so does he. I think the Ravens know this and want a bail out deal in year 2 or 3 of the contract that Lamar does not want. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

For me as my defense when I didn’t want Lamar is exactly why I still don’t love the idea of trading for him. His shelf life isn’t long. When his legs go. He goes.

He’s played at a ridiculous high level for five years including MVP and all pro seasons. 

He’s also not been blessed with a lot of weapons but yet single handedly at times carried his offense. Also don’t forget not someone who turns the ball over much. Ideal for a top 5 defense such as ours.

Lamar is 26 and will have at the minimum another 5 quality years. So even if he gets to 31 and the wheels fall off like you predict that’s 10 quality years including MVP years.

I’d take that all day over the ****e we’ve had. Sanchez who’s been the most successful qb we’ve drafted recently only played four seasons. Geno got two. Hack got zero. Darnold got three. Zach looks two and done. 

Richardson by the way is also 6’4 and has another 15-20lbs on Lamar when he was drafted. He’s much closer to Cam in size but with the explosiveness of a Lamar/Fields. He has a massive arm and can throw it all over the field. The more tape I’m watching has me enamoured with his potential.  

22 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I agree time will tell and I was one of those guys that did not want Lamar and I still don't want him. To me he still does not throw a good ball and the only reason he had a great year was the NFL was not ready for such a fast guy that can make average throws. Once they started to contain him it was down hill and now he takes more hits too. Just like Bobby said his legs go so does he. I think the Ravens know this and want a bail out deal in year 2 or 3 of the contract that Lamar does not want. 

Read my post above in regards to Lamar. 

As for time will tell that remains to be seen with AR.

However the facts speak for themselves. Lamar (had he been wearing green) would have arguably been the greatest qb in Jets history after five years. Lamar has been unreal his first five years and anyone saying differently is nuts.

I get the concept of ‘when’ his legs go that his game will suffer but he’s only 26. He could easily be able to run with effectiveness for another 5-7 years. 

Edited by KimuraGod

Lamar Jackson can without running if there was talent around him that could get open. When LB's have to spy, that creates opportunities for targets like Andrews. CB's can't completely turn their backs to play man because of the possibility running to the edge. When the Ravens defense was struggling before adding Roquan, Jackson had to carry the team. He runs because he has to. Duvernay, Robinson, and Drake aren't people defenses have to plan for. Bateman and Dobbins are always hurt. I would gladly trade what's needed for LJ if he was available. 

If we trade our 2nd pick for one of the vet QBs, trading back does sound like the best option but we have to wait and see who is available at the pick first. If their is a Franchise OT, game changing WR, or a great defensive prospect there, I think we have to check them out. 

16 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Brian Branch, Brodrick Jones, Paris Johnson, Peter Skoronski, JSN, and Quentin Johnson are people I'm considering at 13. 

First round in general includes Torrence, Simpson, Harrison, Richardson (if we don't get a vet QB), and Dawand Jones. 

I remember when the Jets drafted Nick Mangold, not sure where he was drafted at 23 and could have been drafted at 13. But if there was a redraft of that year Mangold would have been a top 10 pick.

So here we are in 2023 and the only Man among boys that I saw at the Senior Bowl was the Center John Michael Shimitz. 

If I'm the Jets I don't wait until the second round, this guy is a first round talent, want to trade down and pick up a few more draft choices ? I'm good, but this guy's getting grabbed in the first round make no mistake about it. He dominated, he's an absolute stud among potentially career players.

C John Michael Schmitz apparently had a great week in Mobile.

Center is an unknown for us this off-season. I actually think CMG is above average. He just had awful OG play next to him most the year (remember AVT was playing OT for a few weeks before he went down). So I could see us bringing him back for cheap. But not sure. I do want us to draft a C though. 

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

C John Michael Schmitz apparently had a great week in Mobile.

Center is an unknown for us this off-season. I actually think CMG is above average. He just had awful OG play next to him most the year (remember AVT was playing OT for a few weeks before he went down). So I could see us bringing him back for cheap. But not sure. I do want us to draft a C though. 

There are reports the Jets are moving on from McG if you believe in those things. I do not. Regardless, I thought McG has sucked since we had him. If you need two all-pros playing next to you to look average, then you suck. It may be a good year to finally draft a day two OC.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

There are reports the Jets are moving on from McG if you believe in those things. I do not. Regardless, I thought McG has sucked since we had him. If you need two all-pros playing next to you to look average, then you suck. It may be a good year to finally draft a day two OC.

I think we definitely are too. McG even came out in said that in exit interviews there was no conversation about bringing him back. They are definitely looking to go in a different direction. I also am not a huge fan of his play, hes not great but he stayed healthy. Also thought he was a terrible leader who made excuses when things werent going great and blamed the rookie QB. I dont want him back. 

Now I think O'Cyrus Torrence is an intriguing OG prospect, but for Brooks to mock him to us at 13? First, he is a complete misfit for out outside zone. Second, AVT is staying at OG. At OG he has All-Pro potential, as an OT he is above average. There was a reason he got kicked in to guard. Love that he is versatile, but let him be a guard. I also feel like Douglas learned his lesson with Becton about having too much size. Get guys who are dominate at a healthy weight.

If we come away with an OT to start opposite Becton and a C at some point, that should help that unit. I am hoping Mitchell comes into camp with 15-20 pounds of added muscle to his frame and I will feel a lot better about him as a swing with the ability to start in the near future.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Odd chance we do add a QB and OT in FA… what does everyone want to do at 13 if that happens.

Hypothetically we trade for Rodgers and Bak but keep 13.

Who do you want?!?!

We get those two I’m moving down and grabbing Quentin Johnson or John Michael Schmitz. Maybe best available pass rusher if we stay out and someone fell (and Lawson cut)