2023 NFL Draft Class

jetsfan4life51

C, DT and WLB are currently open.   FS may or may not be open but we wont' rule it out.

C is a big time need as we have no viable replacement on the roster for that spot.  Jets should be able to find one in first 3 rounds.

DT can be addressed by signing veteran for one year contract or two like in the past but Big Q's contract is knocking aloud.  Taking solid DT is necessary but Jets can find one or two in first 5 rounds.

WLB has viable replacements on the roster but none of them excite us so finding promising natural LB is essential. I still am not sure about off back LB because Jets count on downhill traits for LB job but having real coverage skill is a rare but necessary.  There are a lot of LBs to choose for WLB job in the draft. Even UDFA.  Simpson has best tools but his motivation needs to pick up a ton.  Or maybe drafting SLB and moving Little Q to WLB. 

FS is iffy for now as Jets have two well priced SS who can play FS even though it isn't ideal.  Tony Adams needs to win FS job there. 

6 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

C, DT and WLB are currently open.   FS may or may not be open but we wont' rule it out.

C is a big time need as we have no viable replacement on the roster for that spot.  Jets should be able to find one in first 3 rounds.

DT can be addressed by signing veteran for one year contract or two like in the past but Big Q's contract is knocking aloud.  Taking solid DT is necessary but Jets can find one or two in first 5 rounds.

WLB has viable replacements on the roster but none of them excite us so finding promising natural LB is essential. I still am not sure about off back LB because Jets count on downhill traits for LB job but having real coverage skill is a rare but necessary.  There are a lot of LBs to choose for WLB job in the draft. Even UDFA.  Simpson has best tools but his motivation needs to pick up a ton.  Or maybe drafting SLB and moving Little Q to WLB. 

FS is iffy for now as Jets have two well priced SS who can play FS even though it isn't ideal.  Tony Adams needs to win FS job there. 

I think you are right Center is our biggest need.

39 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Agreed. I do think we bring in Calais Campbell at DT. Which actually makes that DL scary. Obviously he’s older. But he’s still great. But could allow us to draft a guy and probably get an UDFA for depth. Q, Campbell, Thomas, a mid round rookie and an UDFA is a nice IDL group. And JFM can slide inside on obvious passing downs.

Center we absolutely need to address. Schweitzer I don’t believe was signed to start. But he very well might be the only insurance we have at C. I could see us still sign another guy like him. That can play G or C. Because after all we need IOL depth regardless. Sending us into the draft with still needing a really good starting C, but we have guys that can play there. I do think we love JMS and try and maneuver in the draft to an ideal spot to draft him. That likely gives us a starting C for a decade. So totally would love that.

LB we need depth at. I do think Sherwood gets overlooked. When healthy and out there he looks good. He was always a project and I think year 3 is big for him. Not sure we trust him to start. But he is a nice depth piece who I’m actually ok starting in sets. Also Kwon is still a FA. Market isn’t as high in him as he thought. I could see him coming back to us on a cheaper deal. More than last year because he stayed healthy. But nothing pricey. We also very well might look into the draft for depth here. Create that pipeline.

FS is interesting. Right now Clark is our starting FS which is actually a huge upgrade from Joyner. So already we’re better off. Now we do still have Whitehead at SS. But his contract can be cut or restructured still. So we have flexibility there. Byard’s name from TEN is a possibility. Apparently TEN is telling him he needs to take a pay cut or they’ll cut him. If I’m JD I’m trading a late 2024 for him to get him in here to be our FS. He’s great and 29 with still a good few years ahead of him. Byard and Clark would be a great S combo. Truly would be our best secondary ever. Outside of that… I can’t see us moving on from Whitehead without a for sure starter ahead of him. I think we wait and see how the draft falls and such before we decide anything with him. Another name to keep an eye on is Amos to GB S. Solid player. But nothing incredible. Good leader as well like Clark.

• Like 1

What about Christopher Smith II of Georgia? I see a lot of people have him going in the third round. Is he starting FS material? 

We signed Trystan Colon-Castillo and Wes Schweitzer. Both are depth interior O-linemen, but maybe they will compete for the starting C position?

Also, just throwing it out there, but would the team prefer a veteran center over a rookie with Aaron Rodgers coming to town? 

Ben Jones and Rodney Hudson are out there...though both seem to be contemplating retirement.

I love the idea of Calais Campbell or Linval Joseph coming in to start opposite Quinnen Williams. But what if we have a shot at Jalen Carter? Any chance he drops past No. 9?

If there is a team willing to spend a first or early second for Elijah, would we do it? Would we be better off with Beckham Jr. and an early second or Elijah Moore? Just throwing it out there.

I don't think Braden Mann will fetch any return via trade, but he should be cut after training camp I suspect.

I still don't think we should keep Zach Wilson. I don't see any reason to. He is a failed starting quarterback. He is now reclamation project bin material. Which team has ever drafted a supposed franchise quarterback, started him for two years, then sat him down for 1-2-3 years, only to bring him back as the starter? It makes ZERO sense.

Stetson Bennett would be an interesting developmental guy. Or the UCLA guy, maybe. Bring back Josh Johnson to back up Rodgers and move on from the debacle that was Zach Wilson. 

This is a new era. Let's not keep any reminders of our past failures.

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

What about Christopher Smith II of Georgia? I see a lot of people have him going in the third round. Is he starting FS material? 

We signed Trystan Colon-Castillo and Wes Schweitzer. Both are depth interior O-linemen, but maybe they will compete for the starting C position?

Also, just throwing it out there, but would the team prefer a veteran center over a rookie with Aaron Rodgers coming to town? 

Ben Jones and Rodney Hudson are out there...though both seem to be contemplating retirement.

I love the idea of Calais Campbell or Linval Joseph coming in to start opposite Quinnen Williams. But what if we have a shot at Jalen Carter? Any chance he drops past No. 9?

If there is a team willing to spend a first or early second for Elijah, would we do it? Would we be better off with Beckham Jr. and an early second or Elijah Moore? Just throwing it out there.

I don't think Braden Mann will fetch any return via trade, but he should be cut after training camp I suspect.

I still don't think we should keep Zach Wilson. I don't see any reason to. He is a failed starting quarterback. He is now reclamation project bin material. Which team has ever drafted a supposed franchise quarterback, started him for two years, then sat him down for 1-2-3 years, only to bring him back as the starter? It makes ZERO sense.

Stetson Bennett would be an interesting developmental guy. Or the UCLA guy, maybe. Bring back Josh Johnson to back up Rodgers and move on from the debacle that was Zach Wilson. 

This is a new era. Let's not keep any reminders of our past failures.

We have flexibility at S since Clark can play FS or SS. Smith is one of the only rangy FS I like. All the other S seem more in the box to guys.

26 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/03/nolan-smith-has-more-upside-than-micah-parsons/

Dark horse option at 13 for the Jets. Having a 2nd level chess piece with rush ability ala Parsons would raise the ceiling of this Jets defense to generational. 

Parsons is arguably the best defensive player in the league. Smith shouldn’t be compared to him. And in reality. We don’t need a pas rusher.

2 hours ago, BlaZeN37 said:

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/03/nolan-smith-has-more-upside-than-micah-parsons/

Dark horse option at 13 for the Jets. Having a 2nd level chess piece with rush ability ala Parsons would raise the ceiling of this Jets defense to generational. 

If Jets decide to alter the defense to challenge teams' offense of 2023, I am all for it.  If defense system remains the same then it will be a waste of time.

Edited by JetsandI

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

If Jets decide to alter the defense to challenge teams' offense of 2023, I am all for it.  If defense system remains the same then it will be a waste of time.

I don’t believe the Jets would have to alter their defense to accommodate the addition of Nolan Smith. They could play him at WLB in 3 LB formations, as an EDGE in passing formations, and a moveable chest piece in the more creative formations (think 1 down lineman formations).

I don’t think any OL prospect is worth the 13th pick outside of Skoronski, who probably won’t make it to the Jets pick. Could definitely see a scenario where they have someone like Nolan Smith a whole tier above any available OL/DL. I’d much rather the Jets take BPA at 13 or trade down then have them reach for OL need. 

Could also see the Jets having someone like DT Calijah Kancey rated highly on their board. Pure 3-tech DT with incredible pass rushing ability & potential. 

Edited by BlaZeN37

5 hours ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Once I saw the author as Daniel Kelley I stopped reading. Nolan Smith may very well be a great LB, but I would not form any judgement based on the basement clown’s write up. The mere fact that he mentions Parsons as possibly being inferior should have readers taking this with a grain of salt. 

I keep forgetting to mention Henley. smh. 

I hope we find a way to gain more picks after the Rodgers trade outside of trading our 1st back. I would like to have 1 second or 3rd round picks. I love the prospects in the late first to 3rd round prospects so far. 

• Like 2