2023 NFL Draft Class

jetsfan4life51

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm genersally always for going OL early. But if we resign Herbig... where is this rookie playing. Duane Brown and Becton at LT, Laken and LG, CMG at C, Herbig RG, AVT at RT. Now if we dont resign Herbig (I think we should) or Brown retires.... then the move makes more sense. But as of now assuming all those guys are still Jets. OL in Round 1 isnt a great pick.

I was commenting that I liked him the most out of the players listed. I want to keep Herbig and draft a Center Day 2. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

Why?  If he is post June 1 cut we save $13M. Of course we would have a dead cap hit of $4M. But that is hardly a reason to keep a player if we can upgrade. 

Bc when we have guys we need to resign having dead cap isn’t the smartest move.

I guess my point is is that I think there’s virtually no chance he gets cut.

Some of my favorites so far. Bergeron is a very underrated LT from Syracuse. 

QB: Stroud, Young, Jefferson, Daniels, Hooker,  D.J. Uiagalelei, Jake Haener

OT's: Jones, Fashanu, Johnson, Harrison, and Bergeron. 

OG's: Skoronski, Steve Avila, K.T. Leveston, Andrew Vorhees

C : John Michael Schmitz, Jarrett Patterson

DT: T'Vondre Sweat, Jaquelin Roy

LB: Shaka Heyward, Nolan Smith, Trenton Simpson, Charlie Thomas, Nick Herbig, Anfernee Orji, Jack Campbell, Henry To'oTo'o, Owen Pappoe, and Darius Muasau

S: Antonio Johnson, Malachi Moore, Brandon Joseph, JL Skinner 

Unicorn list: Emmanuel Forbes, Darnell Washington, JSN, 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc when we have guys we need to resign having dead cap isn’t the smartest move.

I guess my point is is that I think there’s virtually no chance he gets cut.

So you'd rather have 13 mil used on a bad free agent signing than saving 9 and having 4 mil dead? If he continues to suck they would be stupid not to think about allocating the money elsewhere. He has not been close to advertised.

10 hours ago, ekill08x said:

So you'd rather have 13 mil used on a bad free agent signing than saving 9 and having 4 mil dead? If he continues to suck they would be stupid not to think about allocating the money elsewhere. He has not been close to advertised.

Actually, his cap number in 2024 is $17M. If they cut him prior to June 1, they save 8.5 but have 8.5 dead money for 2023 only. It’s like pulling the band aid off fast. It hurts but it is done. If they make him a post June 1 cut, they save 13 with 4 in dead money in 2023 and 4 in dead money in 2024.

12 minutes ago, xrade said:

Actually, his cap number in 2024 is $17M. If they cut him prior to June 1, they save 8.5 but have 8.5 dead money for 2023 only. It’s like pulling the band aid off fast. It hurts but it is done. If they make him a post June 1 cut, they save 13 with 4 in dead money in 2023 and 4 in dead money in 2024.

The way we read online it looks like but his contract is guaranteed him 27m in total. He already got 13.9m from this year so he will expect to collect the rest of the guarantee which is 13.1m. That means Jets need to hope another team to pay him at least 8m to reduce full "guaranteed" dead money.  In real world, one team will sign him to no more than veteran wage which is about 2m so Jets suck up 11.1m in dead money plus post June 1 cut dead money for 2024 (easy 15m).

Also, why on Earth will Jets cut Laken?  Our center has been below average to average for Jets and he is still with Jets despite missing a few games.  Laken is known for his durability and with the way Jets have shuffled OL due to injuries I simply don't see how will Jets cut him.  If UDFA or draftee wins RG job in spring training then Jets can try to trade him away for low round pick to get rid of remaining guarantee money. Or keep him for depth whatsoever.

When I said RG I mean Laken should vacate LG for AVT and, thus he would compete for RG job next year.

Brown, AVT, ?, Laken, Becton OL sound better as long as they are healthy.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

The way we read online it looks like but his contract is guaranteed him 27m in total. He already got 13.9m from this year so he will expect to collect the rest of the guarantee which is 13.1m. That means Jets need to hope another team to pay him at least 8m to reduce full "guaranteed" dead money.  In real world, one team will sign him to no more than veteran wage which is about 2m so Jets suck up 11.1m in dead money plus post June 1 cut dead money for 2024 (easy 15m).

Also, why on Earth will Jets cut Laken?  Our center has been below average to average for Jets and he is still with Jets despite missing a few games.  Laken is known for his durability and with the way Jets have shuffled OL due to injuries I simply don't see how will Jets cut him.  If UDFA or draftee wins RG job in spring training then Jets can try to trade him away for low round pick to get rid of remaining guarantee money. Or keep him for depth whatsoever.

When I said RG I mean Laken should vacate LG for AVT and, thus he would compete for RG job next year.

Brown, AVT, ?, Laken, Becton OL sound better as long as they are healthy.

Laken sucks. He is the worst starting OL we have ATM. AVT and Herbig should start thus allowing us to cut or at least seriously reduce his salary. Draft an OC or find one in FA (or both) and we should be set on the iOL. As for OT, who knows. Brown has not exactly been stellar in pass pro. Becton is an unknown. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Laken sucks. He is the worst starting OL we have ATM. AVT and Herbig should start thus allowing us to cut or at least seriously reduce his salary. Draft an OC or find one in FA (or both) and we should be set on the iOL. As for OT, who knows. Brown has not exactly been stellar in pass pro. Becton is an unknown. 

It doesn't matter he sucks or not he stays.  Can't mess with salary cap annually just because of FA being terrible.

Herbig still needs to lose some more weight to have better chance to be a full time starter.  Right now he is around 325 so if he manages to shred 10-15 pounds without losing strength then he may end up a starter at either C or G for Jets.  Despite having poor history at Center, his traits fit there.

31 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

It doesn't matter he sucks or not he stays.  Can't mess with salary cap annually just because of FA being terrible

Forgive my ignorance but I’m not following. It’s seem simple to me. Pay a below average player $17 to play below average or post June cut him and save $13M with $4M in dead money in 2023 and $4M in 2024. 

24 minutes ago, xrade said:

Forgive my ignorance but I’m not following. It’s seem simple to me. Pay a below average player $17 to play below average or post June cut him and save $13M with $4M in dead money in 2023 and $4M in 2024. 

Jets must cut Laken by 5th day of new league year to avoid that so designating him as Post June 1st will allow that but it won't affect the salary cap until June 1st.

13.1m fully guaranteed to be picked up on 5th day in 2023 so Jets are paying him 13.1m to play for them and Jets' salary cap doesn't have any issue with his salary of 17m.  No salary issue there as the dead money will be zero in 2024.

If he finished the season on sour note then I could see Jets asking him to take paycut if Jets actually care about cash spending situation.

23 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Jets must cut Laken by 5th day of new league year to avoid that so designating him as Post June 1st will allow that but it won't affect the salary cap until June 1st.

13.1m fully guaranteed to be picked up on 5th day in 2023 so Jets are paying him 13.1m to play for them and Jets' salary cap doesn't have any issue with his salary of 17m.  No salary issue there as the dead money will be zero in 2024.

If he finished the season on sour note then I could see Jets asking him to take paycut if Jets actually care about cash spending situation.

Yes, his $17M would have to stay on the books until June 1, but since teams don’t have to be under the cap until after that, it should not matter. He isn’t worth starting let alone paying him $17M. Ditch him and save the cap space. With the cap going up each year, pushing $4M into 2024 should not be an issue. 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:58 PM, ekill08x said:

I think he’s proven at a high level and is maybe not performing for many reasons. But he has talent and isn’t washed up. So I don’t see us cutting a perennial great LG bc he had a below average 1st half of a season with awful QB play.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think he’s proven at a high level and is maybe not performing for many reasons. But he has talent and isn’t washed up. So I don’t see us cutting a perennial great LG bc he had a below average 1st half of a season with awful QB play.

Let’s not forget Tomlinson was not good with Det. and if memory serves (big if) he really only played well his last two years in SF who let him walk. The point is that, like Fant, he may have a career year or two on a good SF OL and he is back to playing poor to average. Certainly not worth the $. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Let’s not forget Tomlinson was not good with Det. and if memory serves (big if) he really only played well his last two years in SF who let him walk. The point is that, like Fant, he may have a career year or two on a good SF OL and he is back to playing poor to average. Certainly not worth the $. 

If we’re dying for cap space. Maybe. But I just don’t see that. We have guys that would restructure to make cap space rather than cut starting talent.