Week 4 GDT: Denver Broncos (2-1) @ Las Vegas Raiders (0-3)

paul-mac

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

The bit about him leaving is wild to me because he got fired midway through his second season, so this must have happened at the end of his first and only full season. Tyler Polumbus also was a Bronco in 2009 but not 2010, which corroborates that idea. He wanted to quit after one season. 

I read it as his position coach wanting to leave, which is exactly what happened. Rick Dennison quit to go join Kubes in Houston after 1 season with Mac.

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I read it as his position coach wanting to leave, which is exactly what happened. Rick Dennison quit to go join Kubes in Houston after 1 season with Mac.

Ah yes. I should have figured that after the “that’s a hard man to work for”

I just assumed “my coach” was McDaniels, and Ellis was a hard man to work for. 

5 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I think not only Rico, but Bobby Turner and, of course, Mike Nolan all left after the 2009 season, they weren’t going to go down with that ship. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

6 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Before the season I had us pencilled in for a 3-0 start then lose in LV. So if we could win here, we are back on track. 

It’s why I consider this a must win if we want to be a playoff team.  I had our most likely record at 10-7 and a 12W ceiling.    Being at 3-1 really helps stay on that path and restores the 12W ceiling and 10W most likely outcome.   2-2 given our 2H schedule makes it tougher.  

LV has always given us a hard time because their strengths (lack of TO/sacks with OL, Waller, good pass rush) exploited our biggest weaknesses (D that doesn’t ball hawk, ILB’s and OL issues).    And without a QB we couldn’t exploit the biggest weaknesses they’ve had (secondary).     If CB Hobbs and WR Renfrow are still out with the concussion protocol, none of the matchup problems from pre-2022 are there.    Road W’s are always tough to come by but this by far our best chance.   

7 hours ago, paul-mac said:

The bit about him leaving is wild to me because he got fired midway through his second season, so this must have happened at the end of his first and only full season. Tyler Polumbus also was a Bronco in 2009 but not 2010, which corroborates that idea. He wanted to quit after one season. 

This is what I was saying when he got hired - the chances of a fully grown man (as McD was when he was a HC in Denver) changing as much as he'd need to from his time in Denver are just so minute. Far, far, far too small for anyone sensible to take that punt when there are definitely other candidates out there.

And to get the deal he got? Absolutely crazy. And no, my opinion won't change if we get curb-stomped 50-0 on Sunday.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This is what I was saying when he got hired - the chances of a fully grown man (as McD was when he was a HC in Denver) changing as much as he'd need to from his time in Denver are just so minute. Far, far, far too small for anyone sensible to take that punt when there are definitely other candidates out there.

And to get the deal he got? Absolutely crazy. And no, my opinion won't change if we get curb-stomped 50-0 on Sunday.

The crazier thing in my mind is that there has been multiple confirmations between his time in Denver and getting the job with the Raiders as well. He flamed out in 1 season with the Rams and backed out of an agreed deal with the Colts essentially Fing over the coordinators/position coaches that were hired for him. Where is any evidence that he has changed at all? The videos that came out of LV during training camp further reinforce how much of a buttface the guy is. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

A 25 year old male can sometimes have the light go on late....A 33-34 year old guy who's smart, but lacks people skills?   That's more like a unicorn event to change - because that combo also got the person to where they're at.   Anything's possible, but to make it seem like it's probable is very iffy.

Edited by Broncofan

Well, it sucks on Meinerz, and yeah, it's time to start worrying about Turner.   Don't get me wrong, it's unfair to have these expectations on Cameron Fleming, he's never done anything to suggest he can hold up as a decent or even league-average RT.    It's so damning that Calvin Anderson can't unseat him.   We need Turner so badly.   It would be less than ideal if Risner was also out, so hopefully he's good to go.

With Tyrie Cleveland out, wouldn't be surprised to see Hinton as a GD active.    Good to see Jeudy's not even listed on the report - fits completely with an AC sprain, and this week is the timeframe for Grade 1's to be able to go full go.  

The really good news - DJ Jones was on the practice field.  This means he just needs a cleared exam post-first practice, and he clears protocol.   HUGE lift to get our run anchor back, I'd imagine LV would be looking to establish the run and control clock to limit Carr's struggles and having to put them in predictable pass situations vs. our pass D.

On the Raiders side, Nate Hobbs made it back to practice (like DJ Jones), that upgrades what's been a pretty vulnerable pass D to quick-twitch guys, but also been incredibly solid in run support (Hobbs being one of the best CB's there this year, limited SSS and all).   

On the O side, no Moreau (which is pretty big, as they have been successful in 12 formation passing wise, can't do it nearly as well) and no Renfrow (which is massive for their ability to diversify the attack).   The guy they'll likely lean on that few have heard of - Mack Hollins, a big body burner known mostly for his MIA days making the odd big deep ball splash play.   

It would not surprise me at all to see PS2 just follow Adams, and then the D brackets Moreau, and live with the rest. 

Edited by Broncofan