Trevor Lawrence has arrived

notthatbluestuff

On 10/28/2022 at 12:40 PM, .Buzz said:

Probably the correct move. The blurb stating QB numbers are down league wide therefore Trevor sitting where he is in certain statistics being less impressive was an interesting take. Like I don’t deny that’s the case, but also if it’s a league wide issue why are we acting as if Trevor should be above that?

It all depends on why you think it is a league wide issue. If you think defense is having a strong year and it's making QB's look bad, I'd see your point. I don't think that's the issue, though. I think it's just the QB play is even worse this year than normal. You have the old guard of QB's playing like garbage. I'd say it's mainly due to supporting casts and some other odd circumstances. And then the young guys haven't stepped up to fill the void. 

But yea, if you think defense is just upping its game and catching up to the offenses, I'd see your point. 

I also don't really know if those advanced passing stats, as much as people like them, really correlate to what matters - winning. Some really, really simple stats do. I was mocked for zeroing in on YPA, but that is, at least last I looked at it, the #1 stat that correlates to winning. If your QB is getting the ball down field more efficiently than the other team's, you win at a very strong clip. That was true a decade ago. I guess I'm getting old. Haven't seen it broken down in a while.

YPA matters. A lot. It's right up there with turnovers in predicting the outcome of games.

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

The most alarming thing about Trevor Lawrence is that he’s not improved at all in 5 years

This is the real take. Lawrence in that one college year where Skip Bayless said he should be allowed to declare for the draft right away basically became untouchable and dubbed as an all time prospect and it became a bit taboo to acknowledge some pretty apparent flaws that were being glossed over. He really hasn't shown any strides in his last couple of college years and I don't see much improvement this year besides his team being better coached and having a run game to lean on. 

Edited by lancerman

4 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

It’s going to be a brutal QB class in the end. Lawrence and Wilson are both just awful. 

Honestly as a Pats fan, Mac is in a lot of danger as well. Lance also sat his rookie year, didn't look good whenever he came out to play, and is now missing his sophmore year. The 49'ers are in a really tough spot now with him going into the year where he has to justify picking up his contract coming off zero playing experience and a big injury. Fields is showing some improvement, but even he is still below the line you'd want to see a young QB in his second year. 

We could really be looking at this being one of the worst QB classes ever in terms of how much hype it had. Allen and Lamar kind of saved the 2018 class. And yes tbf Allen was looking like he was an issue until he took a massive leap in his 3rd year, but I don't think people appreciate how much of exception to the rule he is in that regard. And even then he was on a good team with talent. 

But one of these guys needs to really prove it next year or this class is going to put all their teams in a rough spot

You don’t give up on a QB like Lawrence this early, especially given that rookie trial by fire he had. When you have a guy that legit has talent that far surpasses Patrick Mahomes, Dan Marino, John Elway - you work at it. Lawrence has just shown that much.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

You don’t give up on a QB like Lawrence this early, especially given that rookie trial by fire he had. When you have a guy that legit has talent that far surpasses Patrick Mahomes, Dan Marino, John Elway - you work at it. Lawrence has just shown that much.

Whoa..shown more talent than Mahomes, Marino, and Elway?..

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Just because a guy looked good in college does not mean he's anywhere near the talent of the 3 you mentoned. Marino could legit hit a pin anywhere  on the field with the tip of the ball, Lawrence is sub par in accuracy. Lawrence has never made the kinds of throws that Mahomes makes regularly and he isn't translating the same running ability or off balance throwing. 

Elway is the closest comp, but Elway was a legit world class athlete type prospect and then had all the intangibles that Lawrence doesn't have. 

Also all three make WAY WAY WAY better reads than Lawrence and did from pretty early on in their career. Which is like 99% of what a QB needs to be able to do to have any consistant success.

I've said this before in this thread, but if you took away the pre draft hype and just looked at Lawrence for what he's shown in the NFL, we'd be discussing him the exact same way Wilson is getting discussed. People are just going to fall into the trap of giving him an unearned benefit of the doubt that nobody else would get without the hype because they don't want to be wrong on a guy they assumed was going to just light up the league. It's the same reason people look at Luck with rose tinted glasses and act like he was some out of this world elite QB instead of a guy who was on his best day the equivalent to someone like Matt Ryan (excluding the MVP year) with several apparent flaws. 

The real reason you don't give up on him right now is because he's on a rookie contract and you have until the end of next year to pick up the option. If halfway through next year he's not showing a much better outcome, then you start looking at transitions to someone else.

Edited by lancerman
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

Whoa..shown more talent than Mahomes, Marino, and Elway?..

Yeah, you just can’t take away all the ability and skill this guy’s shown. Both in college and the NFL. When, from a tools POV, you make Patrick Mahomes look like Christian Ponder, you don’t just let that go.

22 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah, you just can’t take away all the ability and skill this guy’s shown. Both in college and the NFL. When, from a tools POV, you make Patrick Mahomes look like Christian Ponder, you don’t just let that go.

Lol what are you even saying. Open your eyes and watch the guy play. He doesn’t have the “it” factor or processing speed to make it long term in the NFL. No amount of tools are going to change that.

• Like 1